Wing 41 ?

jonwilly

A year or so ago City Life published a write up where the editor interviewed the mayor of Chiang Mai.

Words to the effect of Nimman would be extended to the gate of Wing 41 and the Super highway would connect to Mahidol road via wing 41.

Pim the editor asked how CM would get access to Wing 41, Bangkok problem was the reply.

Last couple of weeks, while the airfield side has always been sealed off with a wire fence, a new fence has appeared on the Air force 'Administrative side'.

Does anyone know if we can expect a 'Continuous through' road from Nimman to Mahidol Rd ?

john

Edited by jonwilly

As far as I know, we need to apply for some sticker, to be able to use that road. Not sure what was the annual fee for the sticker, but not expensive I think you can apply in September or October only.

Anyway, would be great if the road is free to access for anyone without any fees and stickers.
I will follow this post if somebody have some more info.

Who gets the money for that toll? And why extend nimman rd only to be blocked from going any further because you haven't bought a sticker in the limited time they are available each year.

Once again ridiculousness and greed rules here.

Who gets the money for that toll? And why extend nimman rd only to be blocked from going any further because you haven't bought a sticker in the limited time they are available each year.

Once again ridiculousness and greed rules here.

I don't know what you are on about. It is a military installation and as such free access is appropriately restricted. Try to enter pretty much any military installation in the world without permission and see what happens.

As for you 'driving through' though required to stop, you are pushing your luck and a dumb move. Especially those times they are on alert and carrying fully automatic weapons.

I actually drove on when asked to stop a few weeks ago. Stuff 'em!

Well, next time, you may be getting some "Stuffing Yourself"... in a Jail Cell.

The Law is the LAW and you'd be well advised to obey it unless you want a little Prison Time before being sent packing back to whatever

Mongrel Country Spawned you.

"Sent back to whatever Mongrel country spawned you"? Really? For driving through wing 41 without a sticker? Hahaha! I've driven through loads of times on an expired sticker, do you really think it makes a difference to the bases safety having a sticker or not? If the were serious about it being a "military installation" they would check each car. Couple of trainer jets and a cloud seeder. Big deal. The airport is fenced off from the road, I know plenty of airports where you drive along the fence line. What are the protecting? Some administration buildings. I'm sure when the top airforce people need to join Chiang mai traffic they get police clearing the way for them. Opening that road up will help traffic problems a lot. They should get over themselves

Let me ask you, where do you think the toll money goes?

Do the give it to a charity to help people?

Does it go into the air forces coffers to pay for military items?

Or does it go to the base commanders bank account as one of his perks?

They should just widen the road and let all traffic pass. I'm sure there's plenty of fake stickers around, might look for one.

There would have always been a plan to connect nimman rd to the airport and Mahidol rd, it would greatly help traffic flow. Now the hundreds of tourists staying around nimman have no choice but to crawl around the moat to get to the airport. Unless their transportation has the magical sticker of course.

I don't see what the big deal is. Those guys most times half heartedly put a hand up as you drive past. Do they care? No, because I wasn't stopped at the other end and reprimanded, fined or shot at with automatic weapons.

I've done it a few times as that route is convenient for me. If it makes you feel better I got properly stopped and had to do a u turn out of there.

Why not put a boom gate and just take 10 baht of every car?

Why not make the stickers readily available all year round?

Powerful people like to show how powerful they are. I'm sure whoever gets that money feels very good with themselves.

When I first got a sticker ten years ago, you had to prove that you had "good reason" to drive through Wing 41.....for example, if you live somewhere beyond Airport Plaza but you have a business in Nimmanhemin Road, then you qualified and could get one, and they were quite fussy and only issued them to "essential users"

Now....anybody and everybody can get one. The queues for the application forms are huge, then you have to go back a second time to submit your application, then a third time to pick up your sticker months later. It really does seem like yet another typically ill conceived Thai style pieces of bureaucracy, and from the huge numbers of applicants, I m sure theres no security vetting at all.

As someone in this thread says, why they dont just have a 10 baht toll and forget all the bureaucratic nonsense I have no idea!

Just go twice.

During the period that applications are being accepted just go in an do paperwork, pick-up sticker after ready date.

Took me 5 min in the old days, now since there are more ppl a bit longer for form. Less to pick-up sticker.

A toll would back up many more cars then go now and take a few min. each time.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

"Sent back to whatever Mongrel country spawned you"? Really? For driving through wing 41 without a sticker? Hahaha! I've driven through loads of times on an expired sticker, do you really think it makes a difference to the bases safety having a sticker or not? If the were serious about it being a "military installation" they would check each car. Couple of trainer jets and a cloud seeder. Big deal. The airport is fenced off from the road, I know plenty of airports where you drive along the fence line. What are the protecting? Some administration buildings. I'm sure when the top airforce people need to join Chiang mai traffic they get police clearing the way for them. Opening that road up will help traffic problems a lot. They should get over themselves

They should just widen the road and let all traffic pass. I'm sure there's plenty of fake stickers around, might look for one.

you are foolish and uninformed (and will probably end up in prison one day if you continue on your present course). they have weapons in there.

i doubt they have "fake stickers". just do like everyone else and register your documents and buy a sticker and pay the small fee. stop being such a macho man. no country allows anyone to enter a military base w/o some credentials. in Valparaiso, Chile you can be arrested and jailed just for taking a photo of the naval base.

Edited by Oscar2

My present course? Lol, driving through wing 41 without a sticker? If it was such a big deal why wasn't I stopped at the other end when I drove on? They don't have radios at this big military base?

It's a couple of half asleep, lazy guys in funny hats checking that people have paid their boss the money for the "privilege" of driving through his base. If they said all the money went to helping people in Thailand I would gladly pay it. I see it for what it is.

My present course? Lol, driving through wing 41 without a sticker? If it was such a big deal why wasn't I stopped at the other end when I drove on? They don't have radios at this big military base?

It's a couple of half asleep, lazy guys in funny hats checking that people have paid their boss the money for the "privilege" of driving through his base. If they said all the money went to helping people in Thailand I would gladly pay it. I see it for what it is.

So just to clarify before someone else chimes in how I will end up gang raped in prison, shot at, blown up or deported I have had a sticker before when I lived near there. It's convenient for me to use that road. I went through on an expired sticker for months as it's too hard for them to see the dates on it. I then moved so didn't need one any more. Now I'm living near there again so want to use it. I drove through like I used to do. I saw the guy when I was level with him put his hand up so hardly need to stop, I got through fair and square. Yes, hero point to me! Another time the guy was onto it and I stopped, apolagised and did a u turn. I haven't been back since.

The point I'm trying to make is who gets the money? It's a government department so they hardly need public funding do they?

Look at a map. Mahidol rd has a lively overpass and on to the airport where it suddenly bottle necks past the airport on the left with some administration buildings and a beat up old plane on a poke on the right. It then opens up to a lovely new 4 Lane road, nimman and the superhighway. It was always going to be a thoroughfare. What happened? The airforce decided it was there land and shut it down? Why didn't they make the road pass behind the administration buildings and off the airfares land? Was some deal reneged on? Probably. Is someone making a nice earning from it? Probably. Why did they build that new road leading up to it if only a few people can pass through it?

Wing 41, Royal Thai Air Foce are operating a toll road as they have the land in question that is adjacent, yet they also are within the International Airport grounds and utilise the same infrastructure as the commercial operations that provide genuine transit need for an airport, same runways, air traffic control etc.

This scenario is wrong on numerous fronts.

Civilian airports that second to military bases or vice verse is never a good mix and is a red flag for both operations.

I have been through this toll road many times being a vehicle passenger with family who have windscreen certification, it is a complete farce.

Perhaps the proposed International Airport in Northern Lamphun (only just West of Chiang Mai be dedicated to RTAF, less of a human shield).

If reports are true and there is neither a reasonable strike force or defence force capability deployed at the airport to warrant presence, Municipality should win.

Municipality need this inner ring road.

Face and income throw rationality out of the door.

Edited by Paul Catton

Thanks for your highly intelligent response "Bung" Just one question:

Were your Mother and Father, closely related?

Thanks for your highly intelligent response "Bung" Just one question:

Were your Mother and Father, closely related?

Haha. You talk of intelligent responses lol. You've nothing to day about the thread topic itself just personal insults alluding to me being raped in jail, how I must come from a Mongrel country and now my parents are somehow related? All because I drove through wing 41 unlawfully? Dear me, you must lead a miserable life. Why don't you run the gauntlet on your scooter and put some excitement into your life?