Sak Tii

stevehaigh

More context would be helpful. สัก means 'only' in negative statements such as 'ไม่มี (แม้แต)่ สักบาท' mai mii (mae tae) sak baat - I haven't (even) got a single baht.

I think both สักที and เสียที often are contracted into ซะที in spoken Thai.

When used add the end of a negative statement or a question, it seems to signal impatience or annoyance, and has no easy translation, but carries the sense of 'to have it over and done with'.

thammai mai dai tham sa' thii? = Why don't you just do it (so it's over and done with)?

mai hen ja bpai sa' thii = freely translated You just never seem to be going, do you! (meaning: I am getting impatient, you should/(let's go) now!)

My English fails me here, there are probably closer translations, but I hope the sense is clear anyway.

I am also fairly certain it can be used differently in other contexts.

More context would be helpful. สัก means 'only' in negative statements such as 'ไม่มี (แม้แต)่ สักบาท' mai mii (mae tae) sak baat - I haven't (even) got a single baht.

I think both สักที and เสียที often are contracted into ซะที in spoken Thai.

When used add the end of a negative statement or a question, it seems to signal impatience or annoyance, and has no easy translation, but carries the sense of 'to have it over and done with'.

thammai mai dai tham sa' thii? = Why don't you just do it (so it's over and done with)?

mai hen ja bpai sa' thii = freely translated You just never seem to be going, do you! (meaning: I am getting impatient, you should/(let's go) now!)

My English fails me here, there are probably closer translations, but I hope the sense is clear anyway.

I am also fairly certain it can be used differently in other contexts.

that's great, my wife seems to confirm it adds a level of impatience to negative statements. i've heard it used in a couple of pop songs too, i guess in the same context.

thanks alot

steve

can anyone explain what "sak tii" means?

สักที

thx

I agree with Meadish. The closest I can translate it to English would be any = สัก where = ที

so together would anywhere สักที

or sak baht "any money"

or sak arn "anything"

or sak doowa "anybody"

there are a lot more. You use them with classifiers eg bottles (kuwat) plates (jarn) etc

I will give you an example of how I use it anyway.

ไม่อยากไปที่ไหนสักที I dont want to go anywhere.

mai yak bai ti nai sak ti

I will put that into an example.

ผมมีความสุขที่ได้อยูกับเมียเเละลูกฯ เพราะฉนั้นผมไม่อยากไปที่ไหนสักที

pom mi kwarm suk ti dai yoo gub mia lae lug lug prochanan pom mai yak bai ti nai sak ti

I am so happy when I get to be with my family that I dont want to go anywhere.

ITR! :o

Actually, ที doesn't mean "where," as in a place. That would be ที่ (with a ไม้เอก).

ITR's example and translation are correct if the phrase is สักที่ (any place).

In สักที, however, ที means an instance, an occurrence.

I'll try to contrast the difference. Imagine you were talking to someone whose teenage son just sat inside at home playing Ragnarok all day (not hard to imagine if you know many Thai teenagers). The mother complains about her son to you:

ไม่เคยออกไปไหนสักที่: "He never goes anywhere."

ไม่เคยออกไปไหนสักที: "He never leaves the house."

The first (ที่) refers to locations, the second (ที) refers to instances of going.

If you said:

ไปสักที: Go already! (i.e. a command to leave, you've overstayed your welcome)

ไปกันสักที: Let's go already! (i.e. we've been sitting around too long wasting time)

It's akin to the phrase "for once" in English. If you're out at a restaurant with friends and there's one person who never helps pay for dinner, you might josh or even outright chastise him ช่วยออกสักที or ควักสักที (among other possibilities). Translates roughly to, "Why don't you help pay for once."

But it doesn't always translate to "for once" very well, that only really works in the case of a more longstanding pattern of behavior. That's why I like to translate it 'already' in the short-term sense, meaning, I expect you to do something you haven't done yet, so do it already!

หวังว่าโพสท์ผมจะชัดเจนสักที "I hope my post will be clearly understandable for once." :o

Actually, ที doesn't mean "where," as in a place. That would be ที่ (with a ไม้เอก).

ITR's example and translation are correct if the phrase is สักที่ (any place).

In สักที, however, ที means an instance, an occurrence.

I'll try to contrast the difference. Imagine you were talking to someone whose teenage son just sat inside at home playing Ragnarok all day (not hard to imagine if you know many Thai teenagers). The mother complains about her son to you:

ไม่เคยออกไปไหนสักที่: "He never goes anywhere."

ไม่เคยออกไปไหนสักที: "He never leaves the house."

The first (ที่) refers to locations, the second (ที) refers to instances of going.

If you said:

ไปสักที: Go already! (i.e. a command to leave, you've overstayed your welcome)

ไปกันสักที: Let's go already! (i.e. we've been sitting around too long wasting time)

It's akin to the phrase "for once" in English. If you're out at a restaurant with friends and there's one person who never helps pay for dinner, you might josh or even outright chastise him ช่วยออกสักที or ควักสักที (among other possibilities). Translates roughly to, "Why don't you help pay for once."

But it doesn't always translate to "for once" very well, that only really works in the case of a more longstanding pattern of behavior. That's why I like to translate it 'already' in the short-term sense, meaning, I expect you to do something you haven't done yet, so do it already!

หวังว่าโพสท์ผมจะชัดเจนสักที "I hope my post will be clearly understandable for once." :D

cheers Rikker,

Thanks for the correction. i didnt pick up on it until you highlighted it.. Thanks.

ITR :o

can anyone explain what "sak tii" means?

?????

thx

I agree with Meadish. The closest I can translate it to English would be any = ??? where = ??

so together would anywhere ?????

or sak baht "any money"

or sak arn "anything"

or sak doowa "anybody"

there are a lot more. You use them with classifiers eg bottles (kuwat) plates (jarn) etc

I will give you an example of how I use it anyway.

???????????????????? I dont want to go anywhere.

mai yak bai ti nai sak ti

I will put that into an example.

??????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????

pom mi kwarm suk ti dai yoo gub mia lae lug lug prochanan pom mai yak bai ti nai sak ti

I am so happy when I get to be with my family that I dont want to go anywhere.

ITR! :D

Sak-ti is used when you have been waiting and want the action to end that it hasn't been done or arrived at the time you are speaking and you are annoyed by that. For example, ' Meu rai lorn (she) ja ma sak-ti (sa-ti) na, dok mai heaw mod leaw. ( When is she coming, the flowers (that I want to give her) are drying off. OR...

Meu rai raai-gaan nee ( Nai To-ra-taat ) ja job sak-ti na MEANS When will this show (on television) finish. OR

Meu rai ter (khun) ja yood pood sak-ti na, Naa beu jing jing MEANS When are you going to stop blabbing, I'm very very bored. OR

Meu rai khon Thai ja yood pood waa pom/chan ' Uawn ' (fat) SAK-TI, NA ! means " When are Thai people going to stop saying that I'm fat ( SAK-TI, NA ! )

It's a kind of Preposition :D

Cheers :o

Edited by baennaenae

Also...

Taam mai ter (khun) yaang mai sak-paa sak-ti, mua roh arai yoo ? ( Why haven't you done your washing, what are you waiting for ? ) or

Poh/yood(stop) sa-ti ter (another prep.) ! , teang gaan yoo dai. ( That's enough! , why keep agruing )

Khor Ti (Neung) = may I have one? Becareful when you use this one with a lady because it means may I have sex with you :D TRY IT ! :o

Khor soob boo-ri sak ti song ti ja dai mai = may I have a puff or two of cigaratte?

Khor ti ter = they ask you to do a favour in order to stop whatever you attempt to do...

Cheers

Just a note on transcribing Thai, baennaenae, if you can try to be as consistent with spoken Thai as possible it will be helpful for Thai learners in this forum.

For example, two vowels is usually used to indicate a long vowel.

You've written:

Taam mai ter (khun) yaang mai sak-paa sak-ti, mua roh arai yoo

There are many ways to transcribe this, but using 'taam' to represent ทำ and 'yaang' to represent ยัง could be confusing. Especially when you're using it sometimes for a long vowel and sometimes not.

It's also helpful to write the Thai in addition to the roman transcription, if possible, because then it can be copied-and-pasted into thai2english.com and converted into the preferred transcription system of forum members, or pasted into a dictionary to look up a word, etc.

I'm not trying to be nitpicky, just trying to make your comments as useful for the language learns as possible. After all, this is a forum for learning Thai! :o

Just a note on transcribing Thai, baennaenae, if you can try to be as consistent with spoken Thai as possible it will be helpful for Thai learners in this forum.

For example, two vowels is usually used to indicate a long vowel.

You've written:

Taam mai ter (khun) yaang mai sak-paa sak-ti, mua roh arai yoo

There are many ways to transcribe this, but using 'taam' to represent ?? and 'yaang' to represent ??? could be confusing. Especially when you're using it sometimes for a long vowel and sometimes not.

It's also helpful to write the Thai in addition to the roman transcription, if possible, because then it can be copied-and-pasted into thai2english.com and converted into the preferred transcription system of forum members, or pasted into a dictionary to look up a word, etc.

I'm not trying to be nitpicky, just trying to make your comments as useful for the language learns as possible. After all, this is a forum for learning Thai! :D

I am trying to put stickers on my keyboards then I will type in Thai. I haven't got the Thai letter stickers, I need to make them :o

I do realise that this is a forum for leaning Thai and would love to help. Wouldn't it be a good idea for us all to recognise the letters and learn to make a word at the same time. So then, you can read and write Thai :D

One question ...

Do you know the letters in the words you guys have been posting?

I started to write ' A - Z ' when I first learned English. Then learned to make a word. Then a phrase. Then a sentence and a paragraph. :D etc...

Skipping steps sometimes takes longer to get there :D

Oh..one other thing is since most of you are living in Thailand, it is a good idea to get your Thai friends to listened to your pronunciation and ask them to correct if needed because if you don't ask them to fix, they don't fix because they may think that correct someone's mistake is rude and disrespectful. Thai words have different sounds different meanings. IT IS A MUST IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT LEARNING THAI.

I have an Australian friend here who loves everything Thai. He has been teaching himself Thai from life exeperience (he had been living in Thailand for many years) and the casettes, which is good but his pronunciation is not clear and sounds like when you walk on the water. The worse part of it is , I sometimes don't know what he talks about :D

He knows Thailand more than I do, I belive. He also knows The Thai langugage far more than my husband does but my husband's pronunciation is much clearer than his. ( Not trying to praise him here if husband can do it so can you because everybody has an ability to do things )

He gave me a hard time with English, too but not any more :D

I will soon post in Thai on here, please be patient :D

Uh oh.. you're in trouble when the farangs can touch-type in Thai but the Thais cant! :D

:D I wish I could :D I haven't used it for ten or more years, besides, my Thai typing skill had never been that good :o I only learned to type Thai in a short time and never really used it. :D

Thump up for those who can touch type Thai :D !!!