Seriously, You Can Eat That?

Inspire

Seriously, You Can Eat That?

Orlando Barton

bart7.jpg

A few years ago, my sister came to visit me in Thailand. One morning I awoke and found her already up several hours due to jet lag. On the kitchen counter I saw the remnants of a violent struggle with an exotic tropical fruit. She had seen a pomelo in my fridge and thought it was a grapefruit. For those that don’t know, a pomelo is bigger than most grapefruit and has a really thick skin with lots of pith. For the inexperienced it can be a challenge to get to the good stuff.

When I approached her on the veranda she had juice all over her but had managed to separate the giant citrus fruit from its skin and was gobbling it down heartily. “These are fabulous” she exclaimed. “Can we juice one and put vodka in it?”

Visitors to Thailand expect to experience exotic cuisine, but they rarely think about the simple things like fruit and vegetables they may not know existed. Before I came to Thailand, I’d never seen a mongkut, aka a “rose apple”. But, once I learned how delicious the fleshy white pods inside were, they became a frequent feature of my household fruit basket.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/seriously-can-eat/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-07-23

post-245411-0-24012900-1469281239_thumb.

Some of them are so delicious that they could even sit on my face.What about the smell and taste of a well- ripe Durian?.laugh.png

My sister accidentally sat on one and had to see the doctor.

Edited by lostinisaan

A 'mongkut' is not a rose apple... its a mangosteen มังคุด (has the white soft segments in the middle and the outside is dark purple red colour.

A rose apple is a very shiny crunchy pink or green longish apple shaped fruit.. called a 'shompoo' - ชมพู่ in Thai.

But you are right about the great exotic fruits and strange vegetables that we can find here. I like seeing the reactions of my guests to them.. and seeing if they can work out how to eat them.

...and what about the seeds of (particular) fruits!!

The Rambutan seed itself cannot be eaten when raw, but when cooked for at least 15 minutes, and yes must be for at that duration due to potential toxicity

Jackfruits seed, is a real delicacy to munch on, - after simmering in a big wok, much like preparing steamed peanuts

Can you eat apple seeds, yes, but... (swallow like as a pill, and not too many at a time)

Don't chew on the seed, or the benefits of the Vitamin B17 will be negated by the toxicity of the Cynaide-related composition that is released if chewed.

The Lychee, known to most Thais as a Lynchee, is one of my favourites. Thin red skin, with a niceslightly sour juicy fruit inside with a seed. Many UK foreigners will be familiar with the tinned sweet/sickly lychee that used to be served with set lunches in Chinese restaurants a while back.

Some of them are so delicious that they could even sit on my face.What about the smell and taste of a well- ripe Durian?.laugh.png

Did the doctor manage to get the "fishy" taste and smell away?? Love durian! biggrin.pngthumbsup.gifwai.gif

Did the doctor manage to get the "fishy" taste and smell away?? Love durian! biggrin.pngthumbsup.gifwai.gif

I just don't love it, I am addicted to it, can't stop eating it until its all gone.........once in the eighties, I went to a Durian Festival south of Song Khla, I swear it turned into a Roman Orgy, people screwing all over the place.........seems for 10 days all they eat is Durian and a good number of their kids have birthdays around the same time giggle.gifgiggle.gif

Yes, as usual another insipid thread that leaves you feeling dumber for having read it.

Not sure why as I agree that mangosteen is one of the most delicious fruits in the world - the trick is finding out how to identify those not over-ripe or othewise spoiled. If anyone can give me clues I'd be grateful, as generally something close to 50% I purchase end up being thrown away sad.png .

Edit - Lychees are nice too, and a monkey I befriended in the Phillipines loved them!

Edited by dick dasterdly

I just don't love it, I am addicted to it, can't stop eating it until its all gone.........once in the eighties, I went to a Durian Festival south of Song Khla, I swear it turned into a Roman Orgy, people screwing all over the place.........seems for 10 days all they eat is Durian and a good number of their kids have birthdays around the same time giggle.gifgiggle.gif

Love those durian chips. I usually scoff my way through a bag in one sitting relishing the experience yet filled with self loathing at once again succumbing to their siren song at a price somewhat on par with platinum.