Street Food Vendors Kicked Off Beach Road and Warned to Stay Away

rooster59

Street Food Vendors Kicked Off Beach Road and Warned to Stay Away

Story by Albert Jack

post-247607-0-61865800-1469347233_thumb.

Photo by Paul Eddie Yates

PATTAYA:-- Head of the Legal Department, Sretapol Boonsawat, personally led a team who ordered motorbike kitchen operators, cart pushers and other hawkers to pack up and leave the area. They were told they had been found to be encroaching on public property by setting up shop on sidewalks and streets.

They were also informed they could not come back to the area until officials have established a night market where regulations can be enforced. Violating the order would lead to fines of 2000 baht their carts or motorbikes would be confiscated.

Sretapol Boonsawat, who came to Pattaya in June, has said that encroachment is his number one priority. He was appointed by acting mayor Chanapong Sriviset who himself was appointed by the Military after the elected mayor’s term had expired.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/228228/street-food-vendors-kicked-off-beach-road-warned-stay-away/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-07-24

I must be in the minority that wants them gone. I like clear walking paths. I don't like the vendors pulling out into traffic without looking at the oncoming traffic. The vendors take up walking space, smoke everywhere, speak loudly, and get in my way. I would be very happy if there were more vendors in a food park outdoors but not on the streets.

I have always considered the food carts as part of Thai culture. wai2.gif

i guess it's a case of, Money talks, Culture walks.

These cart owners make payments to city staff and police. The Army is just stripping funding from their political enemies.

The vendors are collateral damage in the quite civil war that is underway.

Look for the Army to continue to strip unaccounted funding going to the police and red shirt types.

Happening all over the country.

Yeah - go after the small guys but leave those 101 businesses on Walking Street alone won't you.

Two things about that:

1) Walking street is....a street where people walk. The vendors there are not blocking car traffic.

2) People who go to Walking Street go there specifically to partake in a walking market/entertainment area. People driving on Beach Road are not driving there for the motorbike food vendors. They are using the road to go somewhere.

Give them a market area, like the article states. It didn't say they are closing them down, just not to go on a particular road, big difference.

This will pass just like everything else in Thailand does. It's a big deal for about a day then it vanishes.

it may a source of livelihood to many of the street vendors.

you can also look at this way that they they are servicing an

important social function by bringing many essential items nearer

to people.

a more prudent approach to consider would be to establish the night and then

enforcing this action thereby allowing an uninterrupted means of livelihood.

of course the means test can be applied to vendors who wish to run their operation from the night

market.

Thailand is changing and not for the better- the push carts are a part of Thai culture and setting up food kitchens on the street is also a part of the culture. The gentrification process is turning Thailand into a boring tourist destination that will cause tourists to look elsewhere. They should put their resources into cleaning up the sex for sale industry- controlling violent ladyboys; stopping underage dancers in bars/clubs and ridding the entertainment areas of drugs. Harassing poor vendors trying to make a living and bringing goods that people actually want and buy is the wrong way to go. Not much fun in fun city any more.

I must be in the minority that wants them gone. I like clear walking paths. I don't like the vendors pulling out into traffic without looking at the oncoming traffic. The vendors take up walking space, smoke everywhere, speak loudly, and get in my way. I would be very happy if there were more vendors in a food park outdoors but not on the streets.

In food park they surely will have to pay a rent , so again someone gets a business created because of a law. Shouting , no sorry they never did. I'd rather fix the off road motorbike first , and enforce law such has giving priority to pedestrian on the road , fining motorbike driving the wrong way ... So much to fix before this

In food park they surely will have to pay a rent , so again someone gets a business created because of a law. Shouting , no sorry they never did. I'd rather fix the off road motorbike first , and enforce law such has giving priority to pedestrian on the road , fining motorbike driving the wrong way ... So much to fix before this

The vendors pay municipal staff / police rent and they must even pay rent to park the carts overnight or they have to drag it all the way home every night.

Where do they keep those carts?

The police rented a house not far from my place for 20,000bt and they sub rented it to 100 vendors and their 100 carts for 1,000bt each.

Nice earner for the policeman but these vendor people disturbed entire neighborhood 24/7, garbage everywhere and destroyed that house and burglarized the neighbors too. Real nice.

Edited by Buzzz

It's the greedy city staff and police that assign the spaces to these vendors. That is the cause of the inconveniences.

Food carts are fine if they were more carefully placed.

Municipal authorities will happily force a family with a baby stroller into the traffic if they can get away with renting the footpaths.

This is a downright shame. The carts and food vendors on the streets was one of the nicest aspects of Pattaya. It literally meant hot food wherever and whenever you walked around. It made Pattaya feel 'alive' and in motion.

It will be sad if this is gone :( And bundling them all into a Night Market is not the answer. The problem is not that people want food. They want it wherever they happen to be.

and what about the markets on South Pattaya Road? and the market on Central Pattaya Road near the intersection with 2nd Road?

Both are a real pain in the ass and the past has proven that both markets have been cracked down.....well, just pass them now; especially on South Pattaya Road they're almost in the middle of the street and that will be worse, because the vendors from Beach Road will move down/up there.