Juntion Boxes

chiangrai

I hace an electric cable that leads to a wall socket/outlet.

I want to put a 3 way conector on the cable and then run another

cable to lead to another smal all socket.

The cable is flat and white and has BAC TIS 11-2531 TABLE11 VAF-GRD

2X2.5/1.5SQMM PVC/PVC 300V 70 DEGREES C.

This is the cable the Thai guy has comming out of the main fuse box in the house.

Is this size of wire O.K for this.

If so what kind of juntion box can I use.

I see some nice waterproof ones on ebay wich I want to use but where the wire cable goes into the box is circular and the cable I have is flat.

Will this juntion box do or do I have to get different ones.

Some links or search word for ebay would be great if not I can go to homepro

New Waterproof IP 68 Junction Box 3 Cable & Wire Protection DTY Connectorss-l64.jpg

The cable is fine for an outlet with the circuit on a breaker up to 20A.

Does your junction need to be water proof, splash proof, critter proof or just look reasonable?

The big DIY places (HomePro etc) do small plastic boxes (about 5"x3"x2" ) with waterproof lids for a few Baht along with cable glands, which, whilst not intended for flat cable, will make a reasonable (gekko proof) seal. They also do some nice 30A terminal blocks which will easily take 4mm2 cable (I use loads of these, much nicer than a choc-bloc).

The advantage of course, is that you can put the cable holes where you want them, not where convention (and the manufacturer chooses).

The boxes you show would probably do the job, but wouldn't retain IP68 with flat cable, but why order and wait when you can get everything you need locally?

Is it possible to join the cable at the current outlet and save having a box at all? Neater job and saves a box even if you need a bit more cable.

I'll post some photos of what I mean later (got to go to the doc).

It's not rocket science CR, the exact manner depends upon your outlets.

Basically:-

POWER OFF! At the incoming supply, so you guarantee the electics are dead and you will not be.

Pop the outlet off, most have covers to remove before you can get at the screws, if you're not sure, post a photo.

Examine where the wires are fixed, there should be three in the cable you have, black, white and green.

The terminals should have space for another wire, again, if you're not sure, post a photo.

Work out how you are going to get the new cable into the box behind the outlet and clear the route (knock-outs etc.)

Fix the new outlet and run the cable back to the old, nice and neatly smile.png

If you turned the power back on so you could drill holes, turn it off again.

Strip your new cable and add the new wires to the existing connections, colour to colour.

Check both ends.

Check both ends again.

Put the lids on and power on.

I went and dismantled the wall outlet and it looks like I've opened a can of worms.

You were right,the cable I have has three wires in it.

The outlet is one of the cheapest Thai types where there are three 2 pin sockets in a tiny box.

The green wire is is cut short and doesn't even go into the outlet box.

There is one black and one white wire which go into the box and are conected.

What I want to know now is,is the green wire wired in.Has he 1--used a 3 core wire with a system with no earth or 2-has he used a 2 core outlet with an earthed system.

Does that make sense,how do I find out if the earth is actually earthed or just there because that was the cable nearest to him when he was doing the job.

Sorry chiangrai, if you read my thread in Health you'll see I've had other things on my mind.

Without some test gear you're in a difficult position, the only choice is the physically trace the cable and see if the green wire is connected at the other end.

You could go and buy a simple digital multimeter (DMM) a few 00 Baht, even Tesco have them.

Looks like this;-

digital-multimeter-dmm-02.jpg

Right well the earth seems to go back into the main fuse box so we can asume it's working.

So if I connect it to an outlet that outlet will be grounded.

But when I extend on to make another outlet to use with Thai bought appliances that don't have

an earthwire in them,am I waisting my time.

Is there any point in earthing my system if none of my apliances have earth in them any way.

Is there any point in earthing my system if none of my apliances have earth in them any way.

Many appliances are Class 1 and need a ground.

Some come with a traily ground wire to connect like our freezer, that's plugged in to a 2-pin outlet but I put a pigtail on the ground behind the outlet to the outside

and a choc-bloc to the freezer wire.

If it comes with a Schuko plug which looks like 2 pin but has side ground contacts, you need to arrange an earth.

Personally, for the tiny effort required I would always bring a ground to your outlet, how you use it is up to you.