Two Thais breaking up

runamok27

The title of this thread is Two Thai's breaking up....but as usual it gets changed to farang this and farang that....lol

I have asked my wife about these payments and she explained that it is not simply when bf /gf break up but more like when a Thai couple get engaged it is a huge affair and relatives and friends come from far away for a huge engagement party where gold and money gets handed over as part of the sin sod as agreed. It's like putting a deposit down. So if as in this case the man has defaulted then this gets forfeited but depending on the circumstances if he has brought shame on the family and they lose too much face then they can claim more. Hope this makes more sense.

HL

It may be a custom, but I'm sure it is a custom that is fading or rarely enforced...

after all, how many thai women do you know who have divorced or separated, without any compensation from the bf or husband?

thai greed knows no boundary...so i would just ignore any request...if they bring in police, just laugh, offer the officer a cold leo, and walk away...

the family may lose a little face, but wouldn't that be a good thing for a Thai to learn?

This sounds similar to when two Thais have been found out for having sex.

The girls family will insist on marraige. If the boy's family decline then the girls parents will, sometimes, go to the police and file a rape case.

See how serious the girls parents are. Money may need to be paid to keep the boy out of jail.

Rape case? 555

They was together for a longer time and sure don't played Majong or something else. A rape case they can forget. Police never accept it!!! 555

If she tell him stole her virgin, him can tell the same and nothing happen.

If they are they are the same age or over 18 years nothing will happen too. No one can do something.

And not forget, Thai men have the right to butterfly. Every thai woman can tell it to you.

Sure her family want a compensation if they broke. Because she open her legs and her family lost the face in the village if they not marry.

You clearly know nothing about it.

...it is customary to bleed any amount of money possible out of a foreigner....any which way possible....

...by the way...if you haven't been following...it doesn't end well for the foreigner....

I'm sorry about your loss.555.

It used to be fairly common in Hong Kong that if a long term relationship ended before the marriage started then guy would pay the woman for 'wasting her best years'

The thinking being that she was now older and less likely to find someone else, therefore likely to miss out on having kids etc.

In some rare cases it worked the other way and the woman paid the man for wasting his time.

I'm not at all surprised it happens here in Thailand, in fact I'd be shocked if it didn't.

It probably still happens in HK, just I've not read of any high profile cases for a while.

Know that "Sinsot Gold" given to the bride (not the sinsot money/dowry given to her famiily) is used as an insurance for the wife's future, if hubby takes off after they marry. But have not heard of anything like it pre-marriage wise. Unless there are laws/traditions that cover an official "khooman" (engagement)situation. Breach of promise in the form of loosing face, and more so loosing money in the form of the amount of sinsot from a future Sammy, husband, as its value will drop because she is soiled goods now..

This sounds similar to when two Thais have been found out for having sex.

The girls family will insist on marraige. If the boy's family decline then the girls parents will, sometimes, go to the police and file a rape case.

See how serious the girls parents are. Money may need to be paid to keep the boy out of jail.

Rape case? 555

They was together for a longer time and sure don't played Majong or something else. A rape case they can forget. Police never accept it!!! 555

If she tell him stole her virgin, him can tell the same and nothing happen.

If they are they are the same age or over 18 years nothing will happen too. No one can do something.

And not forget, Thai men have the right to butterfly. Every thai woman can tell it to you.

Sure her family want a compensation if they broke. Because she open her legs and her family lost the face in the village if they not marry.

You clearly know nothing about it.

For sure much more as you!!! I have 2 sons 19 +21 who made a lot of experience!!!

@ my wife is telling me that she has to pay the womans, who he was supposed to marry, family like 300,000 baht because they won't be getting married. Is this really a custom in Isaan?

i never heared about this heared a bunch of waterbuffolo storys but nowadays the storys to get money out of the husband ,OUT OF YOU ,change with new technology

Do not let fear guide your life , say what you think and let the chips fall where they may

I bet a lot of farang business owners here once thought the same thing...

Inexperience mixed with dreams do not a businessman make.

Do not let fear guide your life , say what you think and let the chips fall where they may

"I don't care what you and a hundred other online comments say! I'm going to set up a bar under my Thai GF's name! She's different."

Sister in laws son was getting married got cold feet and walked away. Girls family came round and demanded money (brother in law farang have money was heard). SIL refused to give any money full stop. Girls parents said they were going to police to file a rape charge. Her son piped up off you go then!!!! Oh and who is the rape charge against me or any if my 5 mates who have had her as well!!! And I've got pictures on phone to prove it (Very loose translation). SIL never heard from them again. Hward on grapevine girl is now in Pattaya. By the way lad says he never had any photo's! !! I expect he did or he was very switched on

Sister in laws son was getting married got cold feet and walked away. Girls family came round and demanded money (brother in law farang have money was heard). SIL refused to give any money full stop. Girls parents said they were going to police to file a rape charge. Her son piped up off you go then!!!! Oh and who is the rape charge against me or any if my 5 mates who have had her as well!!! And I've got pictures on phone to prove it (Very loose translation). SIL never heard from them again. Hward on grapevine girl is now in Pattaya. By the way lad says he never had any photo's! !! I expect he did or he was very switched on

Smart young guy, he will go far!!!!!

"I don't care what you and a hundred other online comments say! I'm going to set up a bar under my Thai GF's name! She's different."

Good luck with that!