Farang Deaths in Thailand........

lostinisaan

No, it's more rubbish because, as he himself notes, it's impossible to extrapolate how many of that 609 were foreigners.

Given that the discussion at hand is how much more likely a foreigner is to meet a sticky end in Thailand, his point is rubbish

id say its pretty easy to see the chances of getting killed in one country against the other if one has 609 deaths and the other 4 times the amount regardless of foreigners or not.............

In the absence of data on the nationality of the victim, the assumption made by Kannot is statistically reasonable. To demonstrate his assumption is wrong requires data (not gut feeling, belief or the all too uncommon 'common sense').

Returning to the OP that started this thread we find s/he provide us with a link to a register of 'Farang Deaths' in Thailand which records deaths by violence, murder, falls from height, road accidents &c., and references to the deaths that may be independently checked.

This is exactly the kind of data that can demonstrate if Thailand is or is not a high risk country for 'Farangs'.

Its rather odd then how so many people take exception to the data being provided by the website the OP references.

Whichever side of the argument 'Thailand dangerous/Thailand safe' you are on, the data provided by the website is exactly what you need to demonstrate your point.

Sorry, no. Statistically this means nothing without the relevant, here missing, data.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, no. Statistically this means nothing without the relevant, here missing, data.

Kannot's assumption that in a country with four times the murder rate, an individual has four times the probability of being murdered is a perfectly reasonable assumption, any challenge to that assumption requires more detailed data than the headline murder rate, for which I once again refer you to the website provided by the OP.

Kannot's assumption that in a country with four times the murder rate, an individual has four times the probability of being murdered is a perfectly reasonable assumption, any challenge to that assumption requires more detailed data than the headline murder rate, for which I once again refer you to the website provided by the OP.

Good point.

Another consideration regarding how safe you are in Thailand is ​where you are in Thailand.

In the case you refered to, it has been discovered that he was killed by his Thai neighbor because he slandered and insulted his Thai neighbor's family on a number of public occasions.

It could have happened anywhere in the world.

Again. But, in 'any other country in the world' the perpetrator would have been found and brought to justice. Name just ONE case where any farang murdered by a Thai has seen any justice here? Just ONE. Christ ..

Pattaya double murder of two female tourists: death penalty

Koh Tao murders: death penalty

Hua Hin Songkran gang assault of elderly British tourists: 2 years in prison

Farang-deaths.com shows the following homicide case count by year:

2013 (2)

2014 (4) (including two Koh Tao murders)

2015 (6)

2016 YTD (11)

Note that farang-deaths.com lists homicides for all nationalities, not just Westerners. Burmese, Chinese, Kuwaitis, etc. are included in these numbers. The website has a disclaimer that their database is not complete, but the idea that foreigners are being murdered here left and right is inaccurate.

Edited by Gecko123

The numbers are just fodder for me.

Accurate reporting and investigation can't be done by people with little education or agencies with no research skills.

However, I do like the sites dedicated to death cases. Anything that attempts to convey a critical reality is a breath of fresh air for me.

Makes me think. Makes by brain work. And wipes that dung eating naive smile of my face every time.

In the case you refered to, it has been discovered that he was killed by his Thai neighbor because he slandered and insulted his Thai neighbor's family on a number of public occasions.

Again. But, in 'any other country in the world' the perpetrator would have been found and brought to justice. Name just ONE case where any farang murdered by a Thai has seen any justice here? Just ONE. Christ ..

2013 (2)

2015 (6)

2016 YTD (11)

Note that farang-deaths.com lists homicides for all nationalities, not just Westerners. Burmese, Chinese, Kuwaitis, etc. are included in these numbers. The website has a disclaimer that their database is not complete, but the idea that foreigners are being murdered here left and right is inaccurate.

1. You seemed to have missed the word 'justice', it is difficult to describe the death sentence handed to the two Burmese men on Kho Tao as justice for the two murder victims.

2. Farang-Deaths.com clearly state their database is incomplete (incompleteness does not imply inaccuracy), they nowhere claim that foreigners are being murdered 'left and right', but they are providing a database of foreign deaths in Thailand, something that hitherto has not been available.

I take it you have no problem with farang-deaths.com recording and providing this data.

2013 (2)

2015 (6)

2016 YTD (11)

so 2-4-6-11 interesting pattern wouldnt you say

In all fairness, I expect the growth in numbers (within the database) over the period is due more to the ease of obtaining current reports.

Going foward the dataset is likely to become more consistant.

I think the database has the potential to become a very useful resource fir the analysis of the safety of foteigners in Thailand.

Odd some take such exception to it?!

The site is very good it can serve other purposes such as MISSING persons too. The data is well presented the graphical data on location very interesting. Phuket looks less attractive by the minute. Sadly being a brit is not great viewing but perhaps there are just a lot more about than most othe nations. Russian stats are interesting I mean I do not see too many ruSKIS about yet there deaths are not far off USA stats whom have pretty much Hi jacked the north and they have a strong presence in bkk. Australians and swedes seem to be overlooked making the recent spate of Swedish deaths appear more freakish.