Farang Deaths in Thailand........

lostinisaan

Oh what's this? Another one? Surely not?

http://pattayadailynews.com/thai-wife-charged-with-killing-austrian-husband/

The trouble with you people is that you imagine you see persecution and prejudice everywhere.

It's so ironic because many of you are the same planks who accuse minorities in your homelands of imagining the difficulties they encounter with some of the majority.

Frankly, I think it's all pretty pathetic

show us the sentencing and enforcement of that sentence then I "might" believe it

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trouble with you people is that you imagine you see persecution and prejudice everywhere.

It's so ironic because many of you are the same planks who accuse minorities in your homelands of imagining the difficulties they encounter with some of the majority.

show us the sentencing and enforcement of that sentence then I "might" believe it

Sure

Here you go

Police in Thailand said today they had wrapped up the murder of a 68-year-old retired North London garage owner three years after he was knifed and clubbed to death in his paradise retirement home.

Just a week after a court sentenced the wife of 68-year-old Raymond Hind to life in prison and her lover to 33 years, Thai police today brought in the wife’s missing younger brother – whom they said was the third accomplice.

I feel safe as houses here, been here a long time.

If I felt intimidated, I would have no hesitation to leave.

But to come on a forum, and try to profess how dangerous it is here (in your opinion), is pathetic !

Putting aside your disagreement with Bender, the subject website presented by the OP is surely a welcome development, it provides a database of 'Farang Deaths' with links to the source of the report, location within Thailand and other information to enable an assessment of the actual death rates (rather than the feel-good/feel-bad assessments made by individuals).

As Edwards Deming put it, "Without data you're just another person with an opinion"

The site provides traceable and verifiable data anyone who wishes to make an argument on either side of the Thailand dangerous for Farangs/Thailand safe for Farnangs argument would surely welcome data to support their argument.

Edited by GuestHouse

Hmm.... interesting website. I did a read for my province, Chiang Mai where I'm fairly familiar with the death of many elderly expats. This website just reports the ones that make the news. Amazingly, some suicides don't make the news -- nor do cases where someone who lives alone in a condo and dies -- even if their body isn't found for several days. It's just the ones in guest houses and short-term rentals that make the news, but if someone is a long-term resident, usually those stories don't make it into the news.

People who live alone should make it a practice to check in daily with someone, because some of the people who died alone didn't die instantly and could perhaps have been saved. They maybe had a stroke or perhaps fell and hit their head and were unable to summon help.

Also, not reported are those who die of conditions that would have been treated if they had been in their home country with access to free medical care. It's amazing how many long-time expat residents refuse to return to their home countries for medical treatment, even when the alternative is certain death.

And of course, there are deaths from accidents -- not all of which are reported in the media.

I think if you consult the consular services section of the Embassies in Bangkok you'll find they deal with deaths from causes like this much more frequently than the sensational cases of a naive foreigner getting killed by a Thai person he trusted with his love and money.

Can we include "Almost" Fatal Farang Deaths?

This elderly Scottish family getting severely attacked would not have hapoened in the US...unless they were walking through the 'hood':

So in your own words it may happen

I appreciate your catching this.

My eyesight is not so good to go back and proofread.

I should have typed:

The only place an elderly family of tourists would be attacked and knocked unconscious in a populated area of small businesses by a group of young male thugs would be if the tourists were in the 'hood .

Of course it has but is it a regular occurrence?

Is it more likely to happen to you in Thailand than it is in the West?

The CIA told you that err along with all their other bullshit.laugh.pnglaugh.png

What is it the CIA is supposed to have told me?

Well Agent that's classified but incidents can happen in the west just as likely as here.

Of course it has but is it a regular occurrence?

Is it more likely to happen to you in Thailand than it is in the West?

The CIA told you that err along with all their other bullshit.laugh.pnglaugh.png

What is it the CIA is supposed to have told me?

Well Agent that's classified but incidents can happen in the west just as likely as here.

But that's the point I've been making.

Maybe you should read more carefully

Sure

Here you go

Police in Thailand said today they had wrapped up the murder of a 68-year-old retired North London garage owner three years after he was knifed and clubbed to death in his paradise retirement home.

Just a week after a court sentenced the wife of 68-year-old Raymond Hind to life in prison and her lover to 33 years, Thai police today brought in the wife’s missing younger brother – whom they said was the third accomplice.

and are they all still in jail now? as this was 2013

Hmm.... interesting website. I did a read for my province, Chiang Mai where I'm fairly familiar with the death of many elderly expats. This website just reports the ones that make the news. Amazingly, some suicides don't make the news -- nor do cases where someone who lives alone in a condo and dies -- even if their body isn't found for several days. It's just the ones in guest houses and short-term rentals that make the news, but if someone is a long-term resident, usually those stories don't make it into the news.

People who live alone should make it a practice to check in daily with someone, because some of the people who died alone didn't die instantly and could perhaps have been saved. They maybe had a stroke or perhaps fell and hit their head and were unable to summon help.

Also, not reported are those who die of conditions that would have been treated if they had been in their home country with access to free medical care. It's amazing how many long-time expat residents refuse to return to their home countries for medical treatment, even when the alternative is certain death.

And of course, there are deaths from accidents -- not all of which are reported in the media.

I think if you consult the consular services section of the Embassies in Bangkok you'll find they deal with deaths from causes like this much more frequently than the sensational cases of a naive foreigner getting killed by a Thai person he trusted with his love and money.

My Wife saved one such person who was renting a room from her, she found him unconscious in his bathroom, the walls covered in blood, he'd been like that for 2 days and then spent over a year recuperating with 6 months in hospital........a lucky escape for him, we went to see him in Switzerland a year or so later, he still has some issues but is much better now.

Sure

Here you go

]Just a week after a court sentenced the wife of 68-year-old Raymond Hind to life in prison and her lover to 33 years, Thai police today brought in the wife’s missing younger brother – whom they said was the third accomplice.

and are they all still in jail now? as this was 2013

Look, mate, suffice it to say, she was jailed for life.

Out in 3 years? I doubt it but if you want to know if she's still in prison, go find out for yourself

Sure

Look, mate, suffice it to say, she was jailed for life.

Out in 3 years? I doubt it but if you want to know if she's still in prison, go find out for yourself

cant be bothered and so far we have one confirmed case in a country where it seems money talks and they can walk easily ,now for all the other cases that went nowhere, how about The Darren Oxley affair one

In the case you refered to, it has been discovered that he was killed by his Thai neighbor because he slandered and insulted his Thai neighbor's family on a number of public occasions.

It could have happened anywhere in the world.

Again. But, in 'any other country in the world' the perpetrator would have been found and brought to justice. Name just ONE case where any farang murdered by a Thai has seen any justice here? Just ONE. Christ ..

Sure

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/349569/Expat-s-Thai-wife-used-his-cash-to-have-him-killed

I trust you'll stop whining like a pussy

Self deleted.

I see your other post.

Edited by Rayk

Deleted.

Edited by Rayk

In the case you refered to, it has been discovered that he was killed by his Thai neighbor because he slandered and insulted his Thai neighbor's family on a number of public occasions.

Yes, certainly it could have happened anywhere in the world.

But in Thailand it is more likely to happen.

Farangs who have lived here a long time usually understand that.

No it's not more likely to happen.

Foreigners being murdered is a rare occurrence in Thailand.

I realise that some get into trouble but often they have themselves and their arrogant behaviour to blame

The typical, "heavily-persecuted" Thaivisa member would have you believe they're just one wrong look away from being riddled with bullets by a crazed Thai trying desperately to save face over the most minor of social infractions.

well that depends "where" you come from doesnt it I see the figure of murders for the UK is 609 p/a and Thailand is 2300 pa and they have similar population sizes so imo you are more at risk in Thailand and suspect Thailands counting to be extremely dubious

source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

of course breaking that down into "foreigners" may be impossible but the rate of 2300 of any nationality speaks for itself

I realise that some get into trouble but often they have themselves and their arrogant behaviour to blame

The typical, "heavily-persecuted" Thaivisa member would have you believe they're just one wrong look away from being riddled with bullets by a crazed Thai trying desperately to save face over the most minor of social infractions.

this message was sponsorized by the TAT. laugh.png

Seriously you talk complete crap! I can make you a long list of tourists that have been murdered here. You just need to read thaivisa on a daily basis. Every single day, here a tourist is beaten or murdered or thrown by the balcony or raped....

edit : in fact, i dont need to make this long lists of victims, just read thaivisa.com or farang-deaths.com

Actually, if it's that easy to compile such a list, and given the difficulties in posting links, I might like to see one posted here. Some valid and reliable data would allow us to determine statistically whether foreigners are at exceptional risk.

well that depends "where" you come from doesnt it I see the figure of murders for the UK is 609 p/a and Thailand is 2300 pa and they have similar population sizes so imo you are more at risk in Thailand and suspect Thailands counting to be extremely dubious

source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

of course breaking that down into "foreigners" may be impossible but the rate of 2300 of any nationality speaks for itself

More rubbish.

The problem l have with your post is you say UK 609 how many in your figure of Thailand's 2300 are UK.

More rubbish.

Is what Kannot says 'More Rubbish' simply because you declare it so, or do you have alternative data to demonstrate Kannot is wrong?

More rubbish.

Is what Kannot says 'More Rubbish' simply because you declare it so, or do you have alternative data to demonstrate Kannot is wrong?

Sorry it's classified. laugh.png

More rubbish.

No, it's more rubbish because, as he himself notes, it's impossible to extrapolate how many of that 609 were foreigners.

Given that the discussion at hand is how much more likely a foreigner is to meet a sticky end in Thailand, his point is rubbish

More rubbish.

No, it's more rubbish because, as he himself notes, it's impossible to extrapolate how many of that 609 were foreigners.

Given that the discussion at hand is how much more likely a foreigner is to meet a sticky end in Thailand, his point is rubbish

id say its pretty easy to see the chances of getting killed in one country against the other if one has 609 deaths and the other 4 times the amount regardless of foreigners or not.............

What's at issue isn't ​"...minor...social infractions."

It's ​"...because he slandered and insulted his Thai neighbor's family on a number of public occasions."

​As already pointed out, that kind of stupidity can get you killed anywhere, but here in Thailand it most definitely ​is ​more likely.

Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Colombia, Italy. this is just the tip of the iceberg ... no I do not think that "in Thailand it most definitely ​is ​more likely."

in fact it is the wrong count ..
because one must look where prikakih circumstances.
one thing to lead a gang shootout.
another thing fogged brain junkie in search of a dose saw a stack of banknotes and of dark alley
For foggy brain junkie no matter who it foreign or domestic guys

gang do not need too much media attention even more no need it be foreign media.

id say its pretty easy to see the chances of getting killed in one country against the other if one has 609 deaths and the other 4 times the amount regardless of foreigners or not.............

In the absence of data on the nationality of the victim, the assumption made by Kannot is statistically reasonable. To demonstrate his assumption is wrong requires data (not gut feeling, belief or the all too uncommon 'common sense').

Returning to the OP that started this thread we find s/he provide us with a link to a register of 'Farang Deaths' in Thailand which records deaths by violence, murder, falls from height, road accidents &c., and references to the deaths that may be independently checked.

This is exactly the kind of data that can demonstrate if Thailand is or is not a high risk country for 'Farangs'.

Its rather odd then how so many people take exception to the data being provided by the website the OP references.

Whichever side of the argument 'Thailand dangerous/Thailand safe' you are on, the data provided by the website is exactly what you need to demonstrate your point.

That websites a great idea for the fearful but I just went through that site. It's not that bad there are a few murders but mostly just accidents. A few unexplained stories relating to older farangs who died alone etc but what do you expect if your an elder statesmen on the lash most nights reliving the "glory days" if you keep that up you know the score it's not gonna be slippers and cups of tea on Sundays with grandkids.

The food poisoning story was awful, the chap mowed down by a tuk tuk in hua hin is graphic. The swede who was executed is pretty bad but I think there's a lot more to that story. The helium balloon overdose is just bloody stupid. The one about the Chinsee guy going for a swim is sad and the Korean families 11 year old son was pretty awful too. I expected a lot more grit to be honest.