Thai police charge two eight-year-old girls who tore down pink lists

webfact

People on this forum seem to be rather stubborn and uninformed. The reality is: The two children have not been charged and they have not been arrested. The Reuters article is just another attempt to discredit Thailand's military regime. I'm not saying this to defend those in power here, but lying is a serious offense, particularly when it's done by a major news agency. Unfortunately, that is not something new.

Same news before on the BP and plenty of other sources on 24th just google the topic. There is even a video on channelnews asia:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/thai-police-charge-2/2982596.html

They don't need any help to discredit them, they do it by themselves.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is shameful and rediculous if true

although not knowing the full story, if an adult encouraged them to do this then the adult should be held responsible....just speculating

Never gonna happen, too much loss of face cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

People on this forum seem to be rather stubborn and uninformed. The reality is: The two children have not been charged and they have not been arrested. The Reuters article is just another attempt to discredit Thailand's military regime. I'm not saying this to defend those in power here, but lying is a serious offense, particularly when it's done by a major news agency. Unfortunately, that is not something new.

Same news before on the BP and plenty of other sources on 24th just google the topic. There is even a video on channelnews asia:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/thai-police-charge-2/2982596.html

The police officer in the video did not say that the girls were charged, but that he now understood that the girls only wanted to play with the pink paper. So far, I haven't seen a single Thai source saying that they were charged.

Two 8 year old girls arrested,WOW! What will they do with these hardened criminals? I recommend a good beating at the police station,followed by 2 or three years in the BKK Hilton, womens wing,among the drug addicts and the prostitutes and the thieves and all and sundry of the criminal classes.That should wake them up and remodel them into good citizens with a psychological hatred of the colour Pink.

Geees,you couldn't write this could you.

The police officer in the video did not say that the girls were charged, but that he now understood that the girls only wanted to play with the pink paper. So far, I haven't seen a single Thai source saying that they were charged.

It's mentioned in the BP, in the article about macaques. It's also in Khaosod:

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2016/07/22/police-throw-book-8-year-olds-tearing-pink-election-paper/

They may all be wrong but.....

Edited by candide

It's interesting to see how a sequence of events can lead to a massive loss of face.

1. Voters lists are riped in a village. In a "normal" country such a riculously unimportant event would not lead to big annoucements by the government.

But the nice Junta has decided to use this event as a proof of a conspiration by dark forces (read dark red) against their nice referendum in order to cause chaos and disharmony (apparently they did not have much other better events to show). And widely publicized the blame on its opponents. NCPO spokesman Piyapong Klinpan on Monday described the Saturday’s incident in Kamphaeng Phet as “an act against the government” and also said that "It is believed that it was an act of those with different stances from the government's,"

2. Instructions have been given to strongly react to such events. For example, the Interior Ministry instructed all provincial election committees to file a complaint with police to bring the offender to justice should such an incident occur in their jurisdictions.

3. It finally appeared that the culprits were two 8 years old girls. The local police chief was dismissed for not reporting it.

4. Following instructions given after the riping of lists (or what he interpreted as instructions) the provincial police chief told the local election commissioner to file a complaint. The local election commissioner did it because he worried about being accused of dereliction of duty for not filing a criminal complaint against the little girls.

(5. Additionally, monkeys teared up voters list at another place. This time the police chief made sure it was reported to higher authorities. smile.png Local election officials then moved replacement documents into a locked cabinet and offered a free meal to the monkeys, hoping that the primates would become more friendly toward the state. smile.png)

cheesy.gif

Edited by candide

Thai news apparently (according to the missus) has reported the parents have been charged, not the kids.

Don't ruin this thread with your danged facts...these guys are having way too great of a bitch session.

Amazing how so many guys move to LOS only to become miserable in their daily lives.

Finally, a voice of reason.

Can someone familiar with the Judicial Process here in Thailand explain this.

My guess would be it has to be a court that officially exonerates the girls for their actions rather than a local police so a charge had to filed to initiate the process.

More media sensationalism.

Good question CC. I thought the age of criminal responsibility was 10 in Thailand. If so how can they charge 8 year olds?

More like some BiB who are clueless what to do so opt for trying to pass the book along.

Common sense, no not here and certainly not from the BiB.

Thaksin gave the girls 50 baht each, but they shouldn't charge the children. Charge the parents!

Would you like more libel to go with your coffee, sir?

When is that new law coming into effect, the one that stops estranged Thais from filing court cases? Thought it was signed off recently.

Thaksin gave the girls 50 baht each, but they shouldn't charge the children. Charge the parents!

Would you like more libel to go with your coffee, sir?

When is that new law coming into effect, the one that stops estranged Thais from filing court cases? Thought it was signed off recently.

Which should also mean that those in Thailand shouldn't be able to do the same to any person not living in the Kingdom right? whistling.gifcoffee1.gif

It's mentioned in the BP, in the article about macaques. It's also in Khaosod:

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2016/07/22/police-throw-book-8-year-olds-tearing-pink-election-paper/

They may all be wrong but.....

In the other newspaper we cannot cite, the guy also interviewed by Reuters (Damrong Phetpong, the police commander of the province) states that have been officially charged with obstructing the referendum process, destroying official documents and destroying common public property. Later in the article he says that it's the public prosecutor who will decide whether to pursue the case.

So apparently they have been charged but no decision to pursue the case has been made, as of July 24th, 2 days ago.

Edited by candide

Sounds like Thailand is losing it's moral compass as it embraces authoritarian policy. Nobody in their right mind would hold an 8 year old responsible for anything but childish mischievousness. In my day, that would have be resolved with smack on the butt and a talking to. My kid's generation would insist on a 'time out' (totally ineffective imho). Now the pendulum has swung so far from the 'norm' that they are arresting young children? Hitler did it (an executed them too). Stalin did it. Mao did it. Pol Pot did it.

So what direction is Thailand headed? I hope they chose to reverse course. This incident is the proverbial "canary in the coal mind" imho.

Edited by connda

Can you re-educate someone before they've completed their education?

Thailand.

No person can be held criminally responsible for an offence committed while under the age of seven. A child older than seven but younger than 14 cannot be “punished”, but can be subjected a number of sentences including detention in a school or place of training and instruction. [Penal Code, Sections 73 and 74(1)-(5)]

https://www.crin.org/en/home/ages/asia

Whilst I agree with you what is written down is often not what is carried out in practice. Yes the story is ridiculous. Is it true? Well the way things are going, I certainly would not bet against it. Amazing Thailand once again for the wrong reasons, sadly.