Government School, Cuts In Wages As A Disciplinary Action?

Anyone have experience with contracted teachers having their wages cut/garnished as a form of punishment for behavior such as refusal to perform extra duties, gate duty, assembly attendance, smoking on campus, leaving campus early or arriving late, etc.. Thanks in advance for any reasonable replies. Those in the balcony tossing their peanut shells, please just swallow them. O O and God Bless. (Nothing in said contract related to behavior other than general statement as to performing duties of "English Teacher".)

Hi Bruce,

Yes, A long time ago a colleague of mine was consistently late and the school took the view that he wasn't holding up his part of the contract, as a result other people were having to cover his classes often at very short notice, so they gave those teachers a slice of his daily allowance t compensate them. This was after several warnings i should add. When this failed he was shown the door permanently.

I would add that a teacher smoking on campus is not really on from a professional point of view, sends the wrong message to the students that school is an acceptable place to smoke.

If you don't to perform any extra 'duties' then you need to specifically exclude them in the contact up front. But no school that I know of would do that in a contract because extra duties are part of the duties of being an "English teacher".

Teaching in Thailand requires stuff we don't like to do....that's the bottom line. Smoking on campus at a government school is a no no....if that was the infraction consider your self lucky to still be employed.

Bruce

I have some friends that work in a private school and this is what I know.

If you are late 5 times in a month they lose one days pay.

If they miss morning time more than 4 times in one month they lose one days pay.

If they miss gate duty more than 4 times in one month they lose 1 days pay.

For every 15 minutes they are late they are deducted 50baht.

They are not permitted to leave the school property between the hours of 8-4 without a written note signed by their coordinator and director.

Not even during their 45 minute lunch break.

And a new one they have is apparently if you are absent Friday and the following Monday they will also deduct you a 3rd day unless you were admitted to hospital.

If you don't to perform any extra 'duties' then you need to specifically exclude them in the contact up front. But no school that I know of would do that in a contract because extra duties are part of the duties of being an "English teacher".

Teaching in Thailand requires stuff we don't like to do....that's the bottom line. Smoking on campus at a government school is a no no....if that was the infraction consider your self lucky to still be employed.

Teaching in America also often requires "extra duties," especially after school hours. I don't know if they are specified in the contracts. Probably are in those areas where teacher unions are permitted. The goal of our school "reformers" is to make all teachers "employees at will," so they can be fired for any reason or for no reason at any time.

The school is absolutely not allowed to withold wages as a sanction for or in lieu of disciplinary action.

This is quite clear from section 76 of the Labour Protection Act B.E. 2541 (1998).

All the employee has to do is contact the Labour Court and it will be sorted out very quickly.

If the school has a problem with an employee they should use lawful disciplinary measures to resolve the situation.

Sounds like Thailand writes its contracts they way it does many other things i.e. biased in their favour. I am surprised anyone signs them. I guess if you are desperate and prepared to accept just about anything you cant really complain when they treat you like s**t

The school is absolutely not allowed to withold wages as a sanction for or in lieu of disciplinary action.

This is quite clear from section 76 of the Labour Protection Act B.E. 2541 (1998).

All the employee has to do is contact the Labour Court and it will be sorted out very quickly.

If the school has a problem with an employee they should use lawful disciplinary measures to resolve the situation.

Thanks for all the replies.

I had thought that imposition of fines/cuts/garnishment was reserved to the least fortunate among us i.e. bargirls and illegal construction workers from Cambodia so was quite concerned when heard about teachers being put under such conditions. The concept as I say, of working(teaching) and then not getting paid for it seems odd. I could have imagined an agent/agency doing that but a Government school? I remain astonished. Such threats and especially actions can create violence in some industries.

Archived