TAT to invite Chinese media to settle misunderstanding between Chinese tourists and Thais

webfact

TAT to invite Chinese media to settle misunderstanding between Chinese tourists and Thais

image-15-wpcf_728x413.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand will invite selected Chinese media to Thailand for talks to clear up a misunderstanding among Chinese media and tourists that Thai people do not like Chinese tourists because of their inappropriate manners.

TAT governor Yutthasak Supasorn said on Tuesday that the CCTV, Sin Hua website, People Daily and @Mangu had been invited to send representatives to see him and his senior officials for discussion regarding the anti-Chinese tourists sentiment in the social media.

The governor explained that just a fraction of Chinese tourists had problem about their manners which have resented quite a few Thais. He reiterated that Thai people in general welcome Chinese tourists because they brought a lot of revenues into Thailand and Thai people.

As for Chinese tourists who visit Thailand by driving their cars through Myanmar into Chiang Rai province, Mr Yutthasak said that the Land Transport Department decided on June 27 to make some changes to the rules about driving in Thailand by Chinese tourists.

He said several Chinese drivers were caught unprepared by the rules changes, making them unable to bring their cars into Chiang Rai. The new rules are applied to all and not just for Chinese tourists, he added.

The TAT governor went on saying Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha had instructed officials and tourism-related business to brace themselves for a possible influx of Chinese tourists in the next couple of years “hence, there is no way that Thai people hate or look down on Chinese tourists.”

It was reported that CCTV has offered to act as a go-between to create better understanding among Chinese tourists that they are welcomed in Thailand.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tat-invite-chinese-media-settle-misunderstanding-chinese-tourists-thais/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-27

“hence, there is no way that Thai people hate or look down on Chinese tourists.”

Yeah and my s$&t doesn't stink! Show me a group of foreigners that the Thai DON'T look down on!

The Thai have resented and looked down on the Chinese for ages because they have been industrious, successful and unabashed business people in stark contrast to the laid-back (dare I say lazy?) native Thai.

TAT lives in their own little dreamworld.

"The Tourism Authority of Thailand will invite selected Chinese media to Thailand for talks to clear up a misunderstanding among Chinese media and tourists that Thai people do not like Chinese tourists because of their inappropriate manners."

It's not a misunderstanding.

It's reality.

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand will invite "SELECTED" Chinese media.

Pretty much sums up TAT and the Junta, hand picked pro Junta media to report glowing stories on how wonderful they are.

All expenses paid and every possible ' consideration ' in return for favourable story.

hence, there is no way that Thai people hate or look down on Chinese tourists.

Yeah and my s$&t doesn't stink! Show me a group of foreigners that the Thai DON'T look down on!

The Thai have resented and looked down on the Chinese for ages because they have been industrious, successful and unabashed business people in stark contrast to the laid-back (dare I say lazy?) native Thai.

Absolute rubbish. Thais, and many people for that matter, have trouble dealing with the rude manners and other idiosyncrasies of the Chinese.

I've never once heard the reasons you state being mentioned.

Wasn't it only a few days ago that Mrs. TAT Superstar announced that she wanted the wealthy German 50+ tourists back ?
Now a.. - licking the Chinks. guess she doesn't really know what she wants, as these 2 together will not work at all

Edited by Deli

hence, there is no way that Thai people hate or look down on Chinese tourists.

Absolute rubbish. Thais, and many people for that matter, have trouble dealing with the rude manners and other idiosyncrasies of the Chinese.

I've never once heard the reasons you state being mentioned.

Perhaps you need to get out more. Many of the successful business people in Thailand are Thai/Chinese and I have often heard from the Thai/Chinese that the Chinese people are resented. Honest Thai will tell you that they consider Chinese to be low class and it was the feeling long before the resent influx of Chinese-behaving-badly (although we shouldn't overlook the history of Farang-behaing-badly). And YES, I have heard Thai say that they think Chinese are low-class.

Thailand obviously enjoys such a complex and indecipherable culture than that to the rest of the world. It is with notable frequency that I see "misunderstandings", and efforts to "make them understand" when other nations or organisations criticise Thailand. Why, I myself,over the years, have often been told that I "don't understand" Thai culture, or Thai politics or whatever Thai thing it is I am questioning at the time.

I think Thailand needs to hand out guidebooks, like the Chinese were handing out etiquette books, to explain all the idiosyncracies of their culture that the world at large seems to struggle grasping, then surely there will be fewer of these unfortunate "misunderstandings" in the future.

Whilst on the subject of racism and Xenophobia, I wonder what "misunderstanding" will be rolled out to explain why Thai national Newspapers are using the word "Keg" to describe Indian Nut sellers, whilst they have a highly racist rant about those pesky Indians.

He reiterated that Thai people in general welcome Chinese tourists because they brought a lot of revenues into Thailand and Thai people.

Very few are profiting from these tourists. The Chinese ensure their supply chains get the bulk of the revenues. Chinese owned and operated hotels, restaurants, travel agencies, etc.

What's all this talk about Chinese and manners? The Chinese don't have any manners - full stop. If anyone needs any evidence try spending an hour in Suvarnabhumi or Don Mueang Airports.

As for Chinese tourists who visit Thailand by driving their cars through Myanmar into Chiang Rai province, Mr Yutthasak said that the Land Transport Department decided on June 27 to make some changes to the rules about driving in Thailand by Chinese tourists.

He said several Chinese drivers were caught unprepared by the rules changes, making them unable to bring their cars into Chiang Rai. The new rules are applied to all and not just for Chinese tourists, he added.

The new rules are applied to all, especially Argentinian tourists who drive their car through Myanmar into Chiang Rai.

I think the best way to approach it would be with honesty. Just point out to the Chinese delegates that many Thais are very xenophobic, and that they fear and dislike all foreigners. It's nothing personal.

Edited by Inn Between

Chinese people never drove through Myanmar to Thailand. This is because driving through Myanmar is complicated and expensive. You can't just show up at the border. The Chinese were driving through LAOS to get to Thailand. Fortunately, Thailand has now followed Myanmar, Vietnam and even China in making it more difficult for foreign cars to enter. Thai cars can't enter China, why were Chinese cars ever allowed to enter Thailand?

On July 22, Laos has stopped all foreign motorcycles from entering the country without going on a tour, so the general trend seems to be to bring in order when it comes to foreign tourists driving their own vehicles to another country. Thailand has every right to bring in these rules, given virtually every other nation in the region has similar, if not more restrictive rules. This TAT guy should either do his research or keep his mouth shut.

Chinese tourists can continue to drive in by making advance arrangements, this is really no big deal at all. Small, manageable numbers under the control of a travel agency are welcome. Large uncontrollable numbers = anarchy.

Chinese tourists who drove into Thailand in the past never represented more than a fraction of 1% of all arrivals - this year is set to be another record for arrivals from that country so that goes to prove that restrictions on driving will have almost no effect on tourism.

In order to build bridges, there has to be mutual understanding of each other's culture. Mutual acceptance of differences. As my car example shows, you can't have one country bullying another one by making it impossible to drive a car there, while the other country lets that country's vehicles enter for free. Thailand, as a sovereign nation has every right to do as it pleases, these people advocating for more Chinese tourists are going against the will of most Thai people. Most Thais have nothing against a manageable number of tourists, but they don't want low spending freeloaders who cause traffic congestion, near accidents and actual accidents or tourists that come here to spend as little as possible with as little interaction with the locals as possible.

if you ever been to china you would soon change your tune

as far as weak western world we who lived there are more obliging forgiving, please and thank you is a matter of coarse

lastly when have you seen a westerner sh1tt1ing in the street and gobbing discusting

....not a misunderstanding....a clear understanding.....

...but unlike the weak western nations....China will not accept this abuse....... and slander.....of its citizens......

Misunderstandings, not by any of my Thai friends, they can't stand them.

They spend no money in the local businesses, clog all the roads so nobody else goes there anymore.

Their manners in general are non-existent which drives other tourists away.

The only people that benefit are the large sino-thai businesses, not the average Thai!

As for the cars, Thais can't drive into China, why should the reverse be allowed? It is very difficult to drive into any Asian Country here.

"Several Chinese tourists were caught unaware by the new rules on self-drive tourists". They probably didn't read the news (I did some research and in China they also announced the coming changes). After all, who told them that they could bring their cars in without advance notice to begin with? At least Thailand prepared everyone by announcing as early as February that they were going to bring in new rules.

Laos recently made changes to it's vehicle transit laws (on July 22) by no longer allowing motorcycles in without pre-arrangements (as I mentioned in my other post) and this was done completely without notice. Many Thai and western riders were caught out by this random change in the law and turned away at the border.

China itself is notorious for such stunts and it doesn't just relate to car transit rules but also to visas. Remember what happened when Beijing suddenly ceased issuing visas to attend the 2008 Olympic games?

Thailand doesn't need to say sorry for implementing what is a fair law that brings in some much needed order. Other countries change their laws unexpectedly and don't care what anyone thinks.

Misunderstandings, not by any of my Thai friends, they can't stand them.

They spend no money in the local businesses, clog all the roads so nobody else goes there anymore.

Their manners in general are non-existent which drives other tourists away.

The only people that benefit are the large sino-thai businesses, not the average Thai!

As for the cars, Thais can't drive into China, why should the reverse be allowed? It is very difficult to drive into any Asian Country here.

Absolutely, as I've made perfectly clear in my posts. The TAT and some tour operators may be whining, although everyone knows the rules won't be changed. I did speak to one tour operator recently though and told her that she shouldn't whine and cry when Thai cars can't go to China. She ignorantly brushed off my comment and stated well "we can make the arrangements". I then spelt it out to her that cars are allowed to travel in both directions, but you can't have a policy where cars from country A are allowed to freely enter country B when the reverse requires expensive permits, a deposit at the border (even if you have a carnet) and expect that to be acceptable. It isn't. She then recanted and explained her only gripe was that "30 days advance notice to bring in a car to drive across provincial boundaries is too long" but she would be happy to uphold the other conditions. She obviously has forgotten the fact that the Thai rules were modelled on the Chinese ones in a sort of tit for tat:

To drive a Thai car to China, advance permission is needed as follows:

1) To drive around Xishuangbanna/Sipsongbanna - 15 days advance notice

2) Yunnan (other than Xishuangbanna) - 30 days advance notice and a 50,000 Yuan deposit at the border (paid by the travel agency); 20,000 Yuan for motorcycles

3) Rest of China - 3 months advance notice

4) Must apply for a temporary Chinese driver's licence and vehicle inspection at the nearest transport office to the border

5) To bring one car in, costs US$4500, plus a US$150 daily fee for the compulsory guide. 1 motorcycle is charged US$4400. There are discounts for more vehicles, but the guide fee goes up.

To drive a Chinese car to Thailand under the old rules:

Only need registration documents, no advance notice. Just show up, watch a 1 hour traffic orientation video and pay 200 Baht for the customs paperwork, sometimes a little extra depending on the crossing for so-called "overtime fees".

To drive a Chinese car to Thailand under the new rules:

1) Advance notice required 10 days in advance; must stay within the border province entered and exit through the same border. Only cars and pickup trucks weighing less than 3500 GVM are allowed.

2) Other vehicle types and for travel beyond the border province and to exit at other border - 30 days advance notice under the "special case" category.

3) Must make arrangements through a Thai based tour operator with inbound/outbound licence through the "Thailand Transit Application" on the Customs website. An individual can not do this, the travel agency must apply on behalf of the tourist with a list of required documents. An embassy letter is reportedly required for all "special cases", which does make it a little difficult if applying from one's home country though an authorized notary public may be allowed to notarize this document instead. Each country has different requirements.

4) Must apply for a temporary Thai driver's licence and traffic orientation at the Land Transport Department office nearest to the border

5) Entry fee is 500 Baht, plus another 500 Baht for a temporary plastic card that must be placed inside the vehicle at all times. Vehicle and passenger information is now linked between at least four co-ordinating agencies: The Royal Thai Police, Customs, Immigration and the Land Transport Department. Vehicle can only be allowed into Thailand for 30 days per trip or 60 days total in a calendar year. Travel agencies usually charge around 5000 Baht give or take to apply for the permission on behalf of the tourist.

Which one do you think is fairer? Even now, it's much easier for Chinese to drive here than the other way round.

I have had several occasions to interact with Chinese here in Thailand who are on Vacation Some of them are inconsiderate Talk way too loud and are very rude

I also found this to be true traveling in China

Their government needs to give seminars on how to treat others I think

Edited by realenglish1

The governor explained that just a fraction of Chinese tourists had problem about their manners which have resented quite a few Thais

Just a fraction?

LOL!

Thanks for that thigh slapper.