Soft drink producers to demand 2- baht increase for each can or bottle

webfact

Soft drink producers to demand 2- baht increase for each can or bottle

image-18-wpcf_693x413.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- Soft drink retailers have lodged complaints with the Commerce Ministry that they were notified by some soft drink producers that the prices of carbonated beverage drinks will be increased by two baht from 10 to 12 per bottle or can due to sugar price increase.

An informed Commerce Ministry source said soft drink producers claimed that they had to bear higher costs from sugar price increase and excise tax increase for sweetened beverage drinks.

While asking for 2-baht price increase, the source said the producers promised to increase the size of each can from 240 millilitre to 245 millilitre. But the bottle size remains at 250 millilitre.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/soft-drink-producers-demand-2-baht-increase-can-bottle/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-27

"An informed Commerce Ministry source said soft drink producers claimed that they had to bear higher costs from sugar price increase"

Why not reduce the sugar content?

I note that you have made sensible, logical posts prior to this one.

Please refrain from this type of action in future, as you are in danger of raising the standard of debate on this forum.

Why not put 20 baht on each can and use this as tax and put it into a health care system, especially as the way Thai people are going, obesity is getting out of hand. Oops silly me talking sense again. How dare I.biggrin.png

Edited by Laughing Gravy

Why not put 20 baht on each can and use this as tax and put it into a health care system, especially as the way Thai people are going, obesity is getting out of hand.

That's a bit, not sure if that's the proper word for it though, counterproductive? You basically upcharge them to continue indulging and then get said money and more back in healthcare once they require said assistance, pretty much giving them no repercussion to their actions. As you know, obesity for most everybody is simply a chain of bad decisions day in and day out, I don't see any reason why one would need to ''punish' the rest of the population with a tax that ends up helping said behaviour...I certainly would have many better fields in mind to spend said money on.

So Diet drinks will remain the same price?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but iirc we are only talking about sugar cane-sugar, Diet drinks don't contain that kind of sugar....so they shouldn't be affected by it per se?

The Thai government controls the price of sugar.

The Thai government controls the tax on drinks with a sugar content.

Therefore it is the government which is imposing these cost increases on the consumers not the producers.

Consumers should recognise it is the Thai military government that is is to blame.

The question of whether people should or should not consume these drinks for health reasons is another issue.

Thais need to get more healthy and it's difficult as many Thais don't see things as we westerners;

My boss likes to drink these sweet drinks and eat sweets and candies ... she has diabetes and complain almost everyday that she has so hard to control her blood sugar level as its spiking so often.

One of my students said "Teacher, you fat!" as I am 6'3" and 300 lbs I answered "Yes and so are you." he got so angry because I said that he was fat too that he left the classroom... He is 5'5" and weighing in at 440 lbs!

Why not put 20 baht on each can and use this as tax and put it into a health care system, especially as the way Thai people are going, obesity is getting out of hand.

That's a bit, not sure if that's the proper word for it though, counterproductive? You basically upcharge them to continue indulging and then get said money and more back in healthcare once they require said assistance, pretty much giving them no repercussion to their actions. As you know, obesity for most everybody is simply a chain of bad decisions day in and day out, I don't see any reason why one would need to ''punish' the rest of the population with a tax that ends up helping said behaviour...I certainly would have many better fields in mind to spend said money on.

So Diet drinks will remain the same price?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but iirc we are only talking about sugar cane-sugar, Diet drinks don't contain that kind of sugar....so they shouldn't be affected by it per se?

Well, it seems that they don't use cane sugar either. They have been using corn frutrose for some years in all of their drinks. hence the obesity problem! Like margerine spread it's all tied into larger profits and to hell with the customers! sad.pngwai.gif

I did not know sugar had risen 20% greed has set in

Greed is always floating just below the surface ready to latch onto a product and squeeze it a little for that extra profit. I agree the government should tell them to reduce the amount of sugar its no good for you anyways. Tell em to pound salt.

"An informed Commerce Ministry source said soft drink producers claimed that they had to bear higher costs from sugar price increase"

Why not reduce the sugar content?

cause thats what they sell. sugar. thats why there is more sugar per oz in thai drinks than US. 99% of 711 is sugar.

obviously they should RAISE SUGAR TAX, but we know the Food and bev monopoly wont let that happen.