Solar plane completes fuel-free round the world flight

webfact

Solar plane completes fuel-free round the world flight

606x341_339699.jpg

ABU DHABI: -- Solar Impulse 2 has completed the first around the world flight using nothing by the sun’s energy.

After it landed in Abu Dhabi there were celebrations for Andre Borschberg and Bertrand Piccard, the two Swiss pilots who had taken turns flying the solar cell encrusted plane.

Euronews reporter Rita del Prete, who witnessed the touch down, said this was the fulfilment of a dream: “This historic world tour by an airplane ‘fuelled’ only by solar energy is not just an aviation triumph. It is also a victory for the challenge of the use of renewable energies on a global scale.”

Piccard, who was at the controls for the final leg of the journey, told Euronews the plane has made “history in energy” and they will now build on that achievement: “I want to set up an international clean technologies council, because right now that doesn’t exist and there’s no way for people from the world of ‘cleantech’ to work together to gain a bit more power, to speak with one voice and to influence governments.”

The journey began in March last year but after nearly 500 hours of flying time on a journey of about 40,000 km (24,500 miles), Piccard said they have demonstrated clean technology is viable: “Our partners not only paid for the project, but also made the technology possible, and with our efforts we made it work and heading for the market, so that Solar Impulse was able fly day and night without fuel. And that is what the world needs.”

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-07-27

I would wager that far more "non-renewable" energy went into the construction and flight management/logistics of that aircraft than it had collected from the PVCs during the entire flight.

I would also wager that, in terms of safety, corners were cut to minimize weight.

Edited by MaxYakov

It took 500 hours but how much time in between charging? The voyage began 9 March 2015 and on 26 July 2016, completed the trip? I am sorry but I could have walked around the world in that time. I applaud their efforts but this proves absolutely nothing about the viability of anything.

Edited by anotheruser

All this flight really proves is that solar energy alone is not going to develop fast as far as powering large vehicles like planes.

They were the first to circumnavigate the globe but anybody who has followed this journey has seen what they had to deal with and must have come to the conclusion that it was a touch and go operation all the way. Long stops, technical problems, exhausted battery system which in the end even had to be replaced and so on. They did prove that this technology is not (yet?) suited for these kind of operations and that is the reason it took them so long. Still for being the first ones I congratulate them.

Congratulations are in order however Piccard is getting a bit beyond himself.

Piccard said they have demonstrated clean technology is viable

"Hi Mum, just boarding the flight for Sydney now, yes, we are going on that clean, solar no carbon foot print thingy. Okay love you too, see you in 7 months".

There is a long way to go, no pun intended before solar powered air flight can become commercially viable. We have to keep trying but must be scientifically, constructively critical if we are to improve and progress.

All this flight really proves is that solar energy alone is not going to develop fast as far as powering large vehicles like planes.

They were the first to circumnavigate the globe but anybody who has followed this journey has seen what they had to deal with and must have come to the conclusion that it was a touch and go operation all the way. Long stops, technical problems, exhausted battery system which in the end even had to be replaced and so on. They did prove that this technology is not (yet?) suited for these kind of operations and that is the reason it took them so long. Still for being the first ones I congratulate them.

I agree this was a touch and go operation, but every new advance in powered flight is touch and go.

Wright Brothers, touch and go.

Robert Goddard (inventor of the liquid-fueled rocket) touch and go.

Frank Whittle (inventor of the turbo-jet engine) touch and go.

The American and Russian Space Programs, the very definition of touch and go.

The term 'Touch and Go' can be very accurately used to describe any major advancement in the incredibly dangerous endeavour of powered flight. I think this achievement can be looked upon in a similar light

Now let's see you doing the same with a 787 or a 380 full of passengers, what? can't be done yet?

let us know when you can....

a step in the right direction is great news, what you can't appreciate that?

I agree this was a touch and go operation, but every new advance in powered flight is touch and go.

Wright Brothers, touch and go.

Robert Goddard (inventor of the liquid-fueled rocket) touch and go.

Frank Whittle (inventor of the turbo-jet engine) touch and go.

The American and Russian Space Programs, the very definition of touch and go.

The term 'Touch and Go' can be very accurately used to describe any major advancement in the incredibly dangerous endeavour of powered flight. I think this achievement can be looked upon in a similar light

You are right and like I said "They did prove that this technology is not (yet?) suited for these kind of operations and that is the reason it took them so long." wai.gif

Now let's see you doing the same with a 787 or a 380 full of passengers, what? can't be done yet?

a step in the right direction is great news, what you can't appreciate that?

Yep, just as soon as solar panel efficiency is raised to 300% and we perfect the perpetual motion engine, jets will be history.

It took 500 hours but how much time in between charging? The voyage began 9 March 2015 and on 26 July 2016, completed the trip? I am sorry but I could have walked around the world in that time. I applaud their efforts but this proves absolutely nothing about the viability of anything.

I would say that it proves the non-viability of solar power as a credible alternative source of power to replace fossil fuels.

The latest material technology, a wing the size of a Boeing 747, and the craft is just able to lift one person into the air.

For all the witless bleating that "the technology will improve", the fundamental physical limit is that solar energy getting through to earth is about 1 watt per square meter and there is nothing technology can do to change that.

I commend the bravery and ingenuity of this team, but in truth, all they have really done is to publicly demonstrated the non-viability of the technology as a serious baseload energy source.