Police to investigate Khon Kaen mayor who stripped reporter

webfact

64 Year Farang men are OK, but Thai Men not OK or what ?? bah.gifbah.gif

Thailand should bring strict law for marrying young girls by old men.....whistling.gifwhistling.gif

How can you bring a law .Age does not matter.Only that they have to be old enough.The young girl who was married is very happy,because she in her eyes has done good for the family.It is normal in thailand for older men to marry young girls.It is normal for young men to get them pregnant,then leave them to it,and move on to another one.It is the stupid farang that thinks he is seen the same as a Thai.The farang is seen to be ripped off.The thai is respected.As to the mayor having reporters stripped to there underwear.This would be normal to make sure that they are not concealing something.Even in the western world young marry old.But in the western world its normaly for 3 years to get a big chunk of money.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So he cannot marry her because he is married. He pays money....if sex is involved if her age is less than 20 that is illegal.

I think not. 18 years is the legal age to bang around and this advise I got from my embassy. In addition hotels have to report to the police if prostitutes under the age of 18 years are following clients in the room.

This is outrageous.

Strip that mayor also - of his position.

Then prosecute him for 1. illegal detention, 2. theft (impounding cameras and phones illegally), and 3. abuse of authority.

But but.... the red shirt mafia / pt folks are the outspoken champions of democracy, freedom of movement etc, .... surely they would not participate in illegal detention or Impound reporters camera equipment and phones etc, surely they would never interfere with the media / freedom of speech etc.

might not be legally married at all just the village thing and shacking up, so she could be 15?

Quite normal in rural Isarn.It makes me sick the Thai bashers wanting to change the culture they have moved to rather than integrate into it. They probably complain about foreigners try to change nature own countries too.

Let me play the Devil's Advocate on this. He had asked that it not be reported as it was a private matter. His wish was ignored in the interests of the public's need to know as he is a public figure. Plenty of this stuff goes on in the West and there are laws to deal with invasion of privacy, but I'd guess not so in Thailand. In the absence of such laws he took it into his own hands and no harm was done to the reporters, except they were embarrassed (lost face). Maybe next time they'll think twice before reporting on private matters that have nothing at all to do with the public.

Having said that, he went through an (unofficial) marriage ceremony while legally married to another, Unless that was not a legal marriage and just a ceremony too. I wonder what his original/current wife thinks of it all. But then it's none of our business, actually.

Just a step up from sending the girl to work in a bar I would have thought. My wife explained to me years ago that the age of the husband to be is irrelevent, it is the dowry that matters. Also the life expectancy of a Thai male is less than a farang male which means a shorter time before he snuffs it. Also apart from the dowry many husbands agree to a monthly contribution to their in-laws

Thailand should bring strict law for marrying young girls by old men.....whistling.gifwhistling.gif

You're a bit of a prude and a dinosaur are you not? you think Thailand is the only country in the world where age gaps are supposed to mean something?

Try looking at the Middle East and Central Asia, where girls as young as 8-9 years old are FORCED to marry old men

Ya know, this is really getting to be a boring subject for another hissy fit lesson about global cultures. clap2.gifhit-the-fan.gifviolin.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gif

Listening to you guys talk about age difference and creating laws is like listening to a bunch of American Liberal <deleted>. Just Shut Up. The man will usually get the short end of the stick anyway. Just shut up. Sick of listening to some of you ; some issues, many issues.

How old is the Schoolgirl then? seems like child abuse

I've seen this story reported in multiple outlets but they never mention her age. The only thing they say is that marriage is legal in Thailand at 17 with parental consent. They don't say if she is 17 though. Only that she is a teenager.

The Phuket news coverage which you can watch on TV has the foreign journalist stating the girl is 16 years old.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/934575-PHUKET-XTRA:-VIDEO---Aussie-wins-resort-in-raffle,-Phuket-light-rail,-and-teen-gangsters

Edited by Rayk

Honestly, you are missing the point of many comments...most people do not object to older men/younger women...but the distasteful aspect of the story is that the punk bought the girl...she was SOLD...and probably coerced into a marriage by her desperate and worthless parents...

Honestly, you are missing the point of many comments...most people do not object to older men/younger women...but the distasteful aspect of the story is that the punk bought the girl...she was SOLD...and probably coerced into a marriage by her desperate and worthless parents...

And you know the parents are "desperate and worthless" as you put it HOW????? Do you know them personaly or just using another TV thought.

'The Mayor accused them of stepping up pressure on him to provide information that would not benefit the public' or 'I was caught out, embarrassed and thought I'd take revenge like the sad little megalomaniac I am'.

This is outrageous.

Then prosecute him for 1. illegal detention, 2. theft (impounding cameras and phones illegally), and 3. abuse of authority.

Strip him of his underwear as well gigglem.gif

Edited by eastendanto

Goodness, the disgusting displays of greed and desire and unchecked egos from supposed Buddhists.

Please leave religion out of this. People of all different religions commit many atrocious things outside of Thailand. Christians, Muslims, Catholics, etc don't commit crime or disgusting acts????

it makes you wonder what kind of a man is this reporter to allow this to happen to him. And what kind of people are his colleagues who were there. A few words spring to mind - gutless, obsequious, craven, servile.

What are you wittering on about? The reporter was 64, the mayor's age isn't mentioned - at least not so far as I can see.

might not be legally married at all just the village thing and shacking up, so she could be 15?

She is 18, I've seen it on Television this morning, problem the old man has a wife and not divorced, he said no no, not married her, not married her.smile.png

Funny, someone else said it was on Phuket TV, and she was 16. Obviously subject to the usual media rules of accuracy.

What are you wittering on about? The reporter was 64, the mayor's age isn't mentioned - at least not so far as I can see.

The mayor is 51 I've heard this morning on channel 7 !

This is outrageous.

couldnt they find a girl reporter to strip.....................lol. im not to thrilled to imagine a 64 old man with all his wrinkly bits showing.

OUTRAGEZOZZUZS.