Question Regarding Samui (Chaweng) Infrastructure

How come the footpath along the main road following the beach is so bad in most places? Really narrow in many places, uneven, easily tripped upon. With all the money that the restaurants, hotels, and businesses make there couldn't they put some of that into widening the footpath, evening it out, making it safer and nice to walk on? I was there last weekend, and walked all the way up and down it the first night, probably would have gone out another night but couldn't bring myself to face that obstacle course again.

I understand that in Thailand it is often difficult to find footpaths at all, around my neighborhood in Bangkok many streets have none, where they really should have it. But in such a heavily trodden tourist area like that road, man, it would really seem to make sense to have it.

Have they tried to improve it before and if no, then why not?

The road was originally a dusty track with bars and shops each side, and two way traffic. As things got busier they eventually concreted the road, widened it a little, and added a drainage system. Then they made it one way only. In some places they could widen the pavements, in others there is just not the space. By Central Festival on the beach road is probably the most decent part now, and even there the little stalls are moving in.

Plus this being Thailand, there are always other places where they would like to put/spend the money. Of much more importance at the moment IMHO is the garbage removal and destruction problem, and the huge mountain of waste festering out of sight..

Thanks all for your input. On my way to the airport I saw the road by the lake, yes looks much more walkable. I agree too, around Central it is pretty nice.

All in all, I had a great time. Stayed at Sans Souci, what a cute little hotel and the beach was wonderful.

Better to walk the beach OR the sidewalk on the next road over--the one behind the Mall along the Lake and which then juts over to the water treatment facility and the Police Station.

Is there actually a functioning waste water treatment plant there? Or perhaps a treatment facility for 'fresh' water? Any other working waste water treatment facilities on Samui?