Valuing a car and m'bike

emilymat

I've put this question on this forum as I live in Patts (well just outside). Hope mods will let it stay.

Anyway, I'm leaving Thailand end September after 10 years. I have a nice 5 y.o. Vios and 1 year old Suzuki m'bile. (honestly not trying to sell on this post).

What I would really appreciate is any advice on how to value vehicles prior to advertising. Is it just a question of looking around dealers for similar ones? (clearly they charge top bat, so in a sense it can be misleading and might result in placing much too high a price for a private sale and not selling). Or, should I just flog to a dealer at a knockdown price?

In the UK there is guidance on line of value of used cars etc. Does Thailand have any such system. I suspect my dilemna is one others have experienced.

Many thanks.

Get online check out bahtsold and other trading sites in Thailand punch in your model and year make of car and see what they are selling for. It has been my experience cars you may do ok but 2nd hand bikes are worth <deleted> all. Good luck.

Edited by starky

Good advises.

Yes the Suzuki will likely be hard to sell at a good price, since everybody rides Honda's. I assume it's a scooter? Rule of thump is that they drop app 20% the first year but likely more on the Suzi (if's it's a small below 150cc scooter), well if you have the Raider150 you might get a fairly good 2nd price for it, as the local youth loves a bike like that. Be careful about people coming and looking at it and want a test ride, heard stories about "buyers" going test riding and never to be seen again. Demand all the asking money first before a test ride is granted.

The Vios should fetch a fairly good price since the Thais love Toyota cars/trucks. Selling the car at a 2nd dealer/tent will off-course give you a lower price but save you the head ace of selling it private. Try drive around and ask what they want to give for it.

Try not tell them that you are leaving for good and you got all the time in the world.

Good luck with it.

For the value of your care, look at your insurance certificate. The replacement insured amount is about 80% of its value in Thailand. So you should be able to sell the car for that price or a bit above.

Can also check the price on One-2-Car website but remember most of these sellers are dealers so prices are a bit high.

Good advises.

Yes the Suzuki will likely be hard to sell at a good price, since everybody rides Honda's. I assume it's a scooter? Rule of thump is that they drop app 20% the first year but likely more on the Suzi (if's it's a small below 150cc scooter), well if you have the Raider150 you might get a fairly good 2nd price for it, as the local youth loves a bike like that. Be careful about people coming and looking at it and want a test ride, heard stories about "buyers" going test riding and never to be seen again. Demand all the asking money first before a test ride is granted.

The Vios should fetch a fairly good price since the Thais love Toyota cars/trucks. Selling the car at a 2nd dealer/tent will off-course give you a lower price but save you the head ace of selling it private. Try drive around and ask what they want to give for it.

Try not tell them that you are leaving for good and you got all the time in the world.

Good luck with it.

Thanks, together with the other replies. Yep, my bike is a Raider with les than 2000 on the clock and the Vios has only 27,000 after 5 years. Mind you, I don't think low mileage seems to be of any interest to Thai's. Very good point you make about hassle v price. We get used to that here!.

Check the used car lots first. many of them on Sukimvit road,

The problem with that is none seem to show prices. It would be tiresome to ask every dealer what his Vios is priced at. Classifieds are the best bet. You can probably find several Vios there.

Most on this site are Private sellers......... check which one is like yours and you have a rough asking price.

https://www.kaidee.com/c11a328-auto-car-vios/

Edit: Maybe help ? 5 years old so a 2011 = https://www.kaidee.com/c11a328-auto-car-vios?year=2011

anywhere between 260 - 360,000 baht. depends on model and condition.

Edited by ignis

Good advises.

Good luck with it.

Thanks, together with the other replies. Yep, my bike is a Raider with les than 2000 on the clock and the Vios has only 27,000 after 5 years. Mind you, I don't think low mileage seems to be of any interest to Thai's. Very good point you make about hassle v price. We get used to that here!.

If your out Pattaya way no harm putting it on bahtsold as it costs you nothing and a lot of falangs like to buy cars off other falangs and usually the car has been kept on the button in regards to services and general maintenance. As you know the hardest thing about selling a bike is you can tick up a brand new one with virtually no money down and little interest so if you really want to offload it your going to take a major hit almost regardless of mileage condition etc. Good luck though.

I sold my car in Pattaya using Craigslist Thailand.

Farang flew in from Chang Mai and I sold it to him at agreed price. My friend listed his tablet on Craigslist after trying Facebook as we had no luck and had a local buyer one week latter.

Craigslist works!