Tighter rules for taking Motorbikes and Bicycles into Laos

Caps

It seems like they are changing the goal posts or just enforcing old ones? Rumours are that you have to give 30 days notice to get your 2 wheels in to Laos and be with a tour. Seems like Laos is going the same way as Thailand! But I the new Thai ruling, I thought, didn't apply to Laos vehicles?

More info here

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/laos-information/8260-thailand-laos-border-crossing-problems-rumour-real.html

I agree if you read the newspapers it seems to only apply for Chinese vehicles, but the new Thai rules on paper said nothing about Chinese and only talk about foreign vehicles.

It not only applies for the Laos border, all borders are now the same… you need to apply for a permit to enter Thailand 30 days in advance… Also currently you need to exit at the same border grossing…

With the new rules Thailand also killed all the motorcycle visa border runners…

Of course it’s not unexpected that countries around Thailand will start to ban Thai vehicles...

I agree if you read the newspapers it seems to only apply for Chinese vehicles, but the new Thai rules on paper said nothing about Chinese and only talk about foreign vehicles.

It not only applies for the Laos border, all borders are now the same… you need to apply for a permit to enter Thailand 30 days in advance… Also currently you need to exit at the same border grossing…

With the new rules Thailand also killed all the motorcycle visa border runners…

Of course it’s not unexpected that countries around Thailand will start to ban Thai vehicles...

Yeah its crackers, and Laos are jumping on the band wagon. Also I thought Laos has the crossing agreement with Thailand? and as you say it was only Chinese from Laos

I know even that a group of European adventure touring riders was denied entering Thailand at the Cambodian border. That issue was apparently resolved by several European embassies demanding explanation, as Thailand has signed an international agreement about border crossing. Still the issue was not easily solved as the embassies had to issue a statement that the motorcyclists would not stay permanent in Thailand and some other strange demands.

What a pain in the Paris that is, may think about putting my CRF on hold and hire a bike over there instead, for my next visa run/bike trip. Trouble is they are not that well maintained, last time I needed and bought two new wheel bearings and a new tyre and that would be a pain on something like a Baja.

Not sure why they want to do this, is it to stop people bringing bikes in by the back door, surly if they tightened up on number plates and tax that would be a better solution? Then confiscate anything illegal.

What ever happened to ASEAN?

Anyone know, is it possible to buy a bike over in Laos?

I know even that a group of European adventure touring riders was denied entering Thailand at the Cambodian border. That issue was apparently resolved by several European embassies demanding explanation, as Thailand has signed an international agreement about border crossing. Still the issue was not easily solved as the embassies had to issue a statement that the motorcyclists would not stay permanent in Thailand and some other strange demands.

I had no problem taking my Thai motorbike through Cambodia. You do however need to have your Greenbook with you for the paperwork to be completed, showing you own the motorbike. I do realize that these riders were going the other way.

What a pain in the Paris that is, may think about putting my CRF on hold and hire a bike over there instead, for my next visa run/bike trip. Trouble is they are not that well maintained, last time I needed and bought two new wheel bearings and a new tyre and that would be a pain on something like a Baja.

Not sure why they want to do this, is it to stop people bringing bikes in by the back door, surly if they tightened up on number plates and tax that would be a better solution? Then confiscate anything illegal.

What ever happened to ASEAN?

Anyone know, is it possible to buy a bike over in Laos?

No, from what i have heard you need to have a work permit to buy a bike in Laos.

However, despite the way this appears, there seem to be reports of guys crossing into Laos through Chong Mek>Vang Tao, Chiang Khong>Huay Xai and Nong Kai>Vientiane.

There is talk that this maybe, that this is a more of a provincial law rather than a countrywide banning order. Lets wait and see .. There are a couple of Facebook groups, Laos: Adventure Riding, which has on-the-ground reports, and the Thai, MOTORCYCLE IN LAOS (in Caps) which even have pictures of bikes on the Nong Khai bridge from 5.00 PM Thursday afternoon.

Fingers-X'd

So much for the ASEAN Economic Community, and freedom of movement of goods, labour and people…… Here it seems to be the opportunity to make it more convoluted, one way or another, including people's means of conveyance.

Archived