Where to buy a REAL Mountain bike?

STUDMEYER

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

CRC and Wiggle seem to do the mark it at a higher price but then sell it with a "discount" . The discount then makes it look very attractive but you notice other sellers sell the same item for a similar price with no mention of a discount. 

Sounds familiar 

Sure, you made your pricing decisions, but what did you do about the customers who come and ask for a discount? I suppose they never really did come and ask as it is not really "common practice" in restaurants - lucky you!  If, as I assume you did, you put your full effort into buying quality supplies, making a nice dining environment, hiring competent staff and paying them well and then most of your customers came in and asked for discounts, what would you think.  Try to apply your consumer behavior to your own situation as a provider of goods and services.  

Happy you were able to find a great mtb - the earliest post in this thread seemed to indicate that there are nothing but mediocre mtb in CM, maybe all of Thailand. It is also great that you can find a good bike in BKK. I hope you can continue to find shops in CM who will give you great service and parts support for cheap prices as they certainly cannot stay in business if you take your bike and other purchases to BKK or CRC / Wiggle. 

"Bottom line" is, literally, try to show respect for the business efforts of others, even if it is Thailand and you believe the locals should work for peanuts, as you would expect others to respect your efforts. They need to make a living just as you did.

Edited by StuinCM1

The 'S' in MSRP means 'suggested'- it allows the retailer to charge whatever he/she wants, which might possibly be considerably above-the-odds (anyone who's ever shopped around and found different prices for the exact same item knows this)- the consumer is also allowed to offer whatever he/she wants to pay, which the retailer can choose to accept or reject.

Bike shops (like many similar shops with an eye toward aftermarket sales) will often negotiate on prices in the hopes of making more money later on accessories or consumables like tires- asking for a discount as a buyer is a perfectly acceptable thing to do- I want to pay as little as possible, the seller wants to make as much as possible- there's nothing wrong with a little negotiation. 

Woman kitted out head to toe in goretex(no doubt) go pro, garmin in hand asks for a discount from a poor teashop owner on a mountain in Nepal. Unbelievable and sad that she is so unaware.  The nepalese woman probably has to hike down the mountain to the river to get buckets of water to run the shop. 15 year old son runs off when his mother is in danger. 

What is shocking about that video is not the angry tea seller but the mother uploading a video to the world to see what a fool she is and what a great son she has who leaves his mother behind when faced with danger. 

42 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

Woman kitted out head to toe in goretex(no doubt) go pro, garmin in hand asks for a discount from a poor teashop owner on a mountain in Nepal. Unbelievable and sad that she is so unaware.  The nepalese woman probably has to hike down the mountain to the river to get buckets of water to run the shop. 15 year old son runs off when his mother is in danger. 

What is shocking about that video is not the angry tea seller but the mother uploading a video to the world to see what a fool she is and what a great son she has who leaves his mother behind when faced with danger. 

Video description says she queried being charged 3 times the listed menu price >> that's not exactly the same as asking for a discount..........

6 minutes ago, ogb said:

Video description says she queried being charged 3 times the listed menu price >> that's not exactly the same as asking for a discount..........

The headline I read said she asked for a discount, think it was the Daily Mail, the very respected new agency, but I believe everything I read especially on the internet!

35 minutes ago, ogb said:

Didnt read that bit but just about everything on the internet and the news is unverifiable unless you were there.

But i have seen with my own eyes western tourists offering 7 baht for two sticks of meat balls, sold on the roadside for 5 baht a stick. The thai lady selling the the meatballs was just shocked and speechless. 

I know locals who sell secondhand clothes (that look new) on walk street for 20, 30 , 40 baht a piece. A great bargain if you like the shirt and its your size etc. Thais just buy the clothes but some western tourists haggle for a discount. They walk away if they cant get the 30 baht shirt for 20 baht but just up the road they spend 200 baht on Burgerking meal and think nothing of buying a magnum icecream in 7-11. 30 baht shirt from a poor person sat on the roadside they want a discount. 

1 hour ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

Didnt read that bit but just about everything on the internet and the news is unverifiable unless you were there.

But i have seen with my own eyes western tourists offering 7 baht for two sticks of meat balls, sold on the roadside for 5 baht a stick. The thai lady selling the the meatballs was just shocked and speechless. 

I know locals who sell secondhand clothes (that look new) on walk street for 20, 30 , 40 baht a piece. A great bargain if you like the shirt and its your size etc. Thais just buy the clothes but some western tourists haggle for a discount. They walk away if they cant get the 30 baht shirt for 20 baht but just up the road they spend 200 baht on Burgerking meal and think nothing of buying a magnum icecream in 7-11. 30 baht shirt from a poor person sat on the roadside they want a discount. 

But I think bargaining is part of the fun where it's acceptable or expected where it's custom.

Inappropriate behavior is just that.

In a Chiang Mai bike shop asking for the best price isn't!

On 8/29/2017 at 8:01 PM, Puwa said:

Buying overseas and carrying in is still the best option by far, in terms of cost and choice. 

Also buy a decent tool kit ($100-$150). Serious mountain biking requires continual maintenance and repair. Some of the local repair shops are ok, but I've also had them fail at simple tasks that I ended up fixing myself-- brake problems, bearing removal, sourcing a derailleur hanger. 

No need to buy a toolkit, I got a decent enough one on Lazada for 1,000bht .......

https://www.lazada.co.th/iremax-44-12983477.html?spm=a2o4l.order-details.0.0.iJfln5

On 9/21/2017 at 6:06 AM, flare said:

The 'S' in MSRP means 'suggested'- it allows the retailer to charge whatever he/she wants, which might possibly be considerably above-the-odds (anyone who's ever shopped around and found different prices for the exact same item knows this)- the consumer is also allowed to offer whatever he/she wants to pay, which the retailer can choose to accept or reject.

Bike shops (like many similar shops with an eye toward aftermarket sales) will often negotiate on prices in the hopes of making more money later on accessories or consumables like tires- asking for a discount as a buyer is a perfectly acceptable thing to do- I want to pay as little as possible, the seller wants to make as much as possible- there's nothing wrong with a little negotiation. 

I've found the online shops in Bangkok offer much better prices (10%-20% cheaper including next day delivery) than the CM shops, no need to haggle just buy online.

On 9/17/2017 at 5:08 PM, StuinCM1 said:

"BTW- the reason for my thoughts is that I have been guilty of exactly the same behavior, though not usually with bicycles. "

As "Impulse" said, it is really all driven by the least amount of money a consumer can spend. I too USED to be much more prone to this behavior than I am now after having run a ret-hell (retail) biz. The irony of this behavior is that most of us who never have run a retail biz, rather worked as employees, would scream in anger and offense if asked by their company or boss for a discount on their paycheck each payday. Yet, they have nothing "invested" in their jobs: they do not have to rent the building they occupy each workday, pay for the electricity for their aircon or the salary of the person keeping their restrooms clean and waste baskets emptied, etc. They have no capital at risk at all. Yet, they feel it is fine to push a retailer for a discount, somehow thinking the seller must be able to buy the inventory for nearly nothing, never must worry about obsolete or damaged stock or theft by 'customers,' that the business' employees must work for pretty much nothing, and so on. The answer a young Chinese tourist gave when I replied to his discount request with the question "what if your boss asks you for a discount on your paycheck?" - "oh, but I WORK for a living."  He wanted a discount on a 70 Baht bike rental.

It is a sad, ugly, greedy practice.

There are very few foreigners that have managed to run a profitable business in Thailand (without being a front for something else), I certainly couldn't. ......... Don't take it personally, it ain't you at fault

Hey ‘STUDMEYER’

My reply is probable redundant now, as you posted back in July…….

You missed one make out, ‘Santa Cruz’ and the agent would be ‘Mojo’ owned and run by Meitinee.

You state a ‘real’ XC or DH bike. If you want an entry level bike, you should be able to just see it and buy it. If you want a high end bike, in most cases you will have to order and wait for it to arrive.

I had great serve from the shop, I got exactly what I ordered. You could do a lot worse than buying a Santa Cruz. Love my 5010cc.

IMG20170717121945.jpg

Slim pickings here in Chiang Mai for a 21/22 inch frame hardtail mountain bike. Three shops visited and no hab or have to order was all I got. I have no interest in a cheap or medium priced Chinese product. I have two hand built Tom Richey bikes still in San Francisco but I am hesitant to bring them here. I know that parts might be a problem getting in Chiang Mai, particularly the front fork as it was made specifically for my Richey frame. I still ride these bikes every time I go back but selling them is nearly impossibe as they are both 22 inch frames and were custom built by Tom Richey to my body measurements. I suppose I could have them tuned up, parts worn out replaced and extra parts bought as a fall back for here in C.M. and bring them back on EVA who have a good reputation for taking care of bikes.

Yes, importers in BKK not willing to bring in much and see it sit unsold until the lose money by blowing them out. They would rather stick to the safe, middle of the market.  What price range do you consider nice? I feel that range needs to be at least US$1000. If you want a nice bike AND large size it will be tough to get in Thailand. We have a 21" Fuji Tahoe 1.5 hardtail in the shop now and will have some 21.5" and 23" Trek in next week once the BKK suppliers get back to their shops (seems they are having a big bike mtg somewhere and all are attending it!).  If you take bike on the plane the most important step is to remover the rear derailleur from the frame as bent derailleur hangers are the most common transportation damage we see in the shop.  As for your Ritchey bikes, if they are Shimano and not too dated, parts should not be too big a problem. If SRAM or other, parts will be tough to get. If a custom fork, sounds difficult to find parts almost anywhere!

Thanks very much for the information. If I decide to bring the Richey hardtail back in January I will take it first to my local bike shop and have them just pack it in a bike box, 40 or fifty dollars tops. I already checked with EVA air and since that will be my only piece of checked baggage there will be no charge. Upon arrival back in Chiang Mai I will take box and bike to a reputable and highly recommended shop and have them get the bike in working order.

Good plan - again, make sure the rear derailleur is removed (use cable tie around chain and chainstay to keep it hanging around in a safe position). If you have disc brakes I'd suggest having the rotors removed and packed in a padded box (have seen them end up pretty bent up as well), and if hydraulic brakes make certain a plastic 'insert' or folded up piece of paper/cardboard is placed between the brake pads when wheel is removed. All of this should be 'standard procedure' for shipping a bike, but better to make sure they do it than pay for problems on the destination end! 

• 4 weeks later...
I wish I had stumbled onto this post earlier.  I, Mong Cycles, have been sitting on a bunch of 19" & 21" Fuji Tahoe 1.5 mtn bikes (yes, "only hardtail") for about 1.5 years and have only sold 2 of them in that time. Now I am blowing them out at a 7000 Baht loss per bike just to move them on. So, is this about not bringing in large bikes? It is the suppliers who refuse to bring in anything big or higher end in large sizes as the market for them is quite limited and there is a strong likelihood, as in my  case, that they will lose money on their efforts. I have gone over the top to bring in bikes of all types and brands in larger sizes and, for the most part, it has been a disastrous business move. The last time I checked, most people did work or business with an expectation that they would NOT lose money, but this seems to be what is expected of bike shops. If you were in the biz, what would you do?  As for "decent bikes" I have found the most farangs in Thailand are here on the cheap and balk at spending even 20,000 Baht on a bike, and almost always demand a discount. Why would a shop bring in a big inventory of hard to sell, expensive bikes for a tiny, tight-fisted market?

I will not make those efforts again - besides the pure monetary loss there is the huge loss of my time. I now know that even if I did have more large bikes in stock the customers would come in and demand discounts that would cut any profit to nothing. By the way, I still have Marin Gestalt 2 gravel bikes and Fuji Cyclocross bikes in sizes up to 63cm, and Merida cyclocross bikes up to 56cm...same story, will have to give them away to move them.

I welcome the complainers to start their own shop as they apparently think it should be possible to make a fortune on all of this unsatisfied demand, or they feel altruistic and want to provide goods and services to people at a loss. 

59a3d1898cf0e_fuitahoe.thumb.jpg.674b20de395cded899276aa9224a1d39.jpg&key=46c6ef4a5794769e6e8868a0b7951b9eb093c92425c5a64f43e85844a83dae25

59a3d1a96a417_Fujicross.jpg.a747b5b25f99e7e84bd08627fd3cd011.jpg&key=a02029cec413002b89e629b22e3bacb3028d237c079e59c7c71e50a994ef516a

gestalt.thumb.jpg.1abf9d6497754d314c77b19701db79e9.jpg&key=b6b544d5b43173c2a6c490a53fb9e26125d73980c128eb6e5e46b7fb036429d8

That makes sense. Most farangs who would consider buying a >$1000 bicycle already own one or more bikes and hence are only likely to be customers for service and accessories. And usually when a newbie starts talking about spending even 10,000 baht on an entry level "serious" bike other farangs advise him to go to Tesco and buy a retard bike instead.

16 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

That makes sense. Most farangs who would consider buying a >$1000 bicycle already own one or more bikes and hence are only likely to be customers for service and accessories. And usually when a newbie starts talking about spending even 10,000 baht on an entry level "serious" bike other farangs advise him to go to Tesco and buy a retard bike instead.

You response doesn't hold true from my experience. 

If the newbie is asking to buy a cheap bike just to go to the market and will probably not really ever use the bike they might be advised by another farang to go to Tesco unless they are not asking a cyclist.

I have quite a few bikes and still buy new ones for myself as do many of my cyclists friends.

I also take newbies shopping, just last month I helped three friends buy a 12,000 bht, a 110,000 bht and a 159,000 bht bike, all MTB newbies.

6 hours ago, junglechef said:

If the newbie is asking to buy a cheap bike just to go to the market and will probably not really ever use the bike they might be advised by another farang to go to Tesco unless they are not asking a cyclist.

I have quite a few bikes and still buy new ones for myself as do many of my cyclists friends.

I also take newbies shopping, just last month I helped three friends buy a 12,000 bht, a 110,000 bht and a 159,000 bht bike, all MTB newbies.

You must be living in a far more affluent section of Chiang Mai and one of which I was previously unaware.  I seldom meet farangs who seem to be flashing money around or spending conspicuously, it’s far more common for people to brag about how little money that they spend.  That’s not a good thing if you’re a retailer of luxury products such as the REAL mountain bikes that are the topic of this thread.   If there was REAL money to be made out of selling REAL bicycles to farangs in Chiang Mai, it would not be difficult to find REAL bikes in farang male sizes.

Edited by suzannegoh

7 hours ago, junglechef said:

bascially I think that you are dramatically over estimating the size of the market for expensive bikes in farang male sizes.  You might have helped a few people buy expensive bikes, but how many 100K baht bikes per year do you imagine that Chiang Mai residents buy?  And of those, what percent of that business could any one shop hope to get?  Even in the West "showrooming" is popular, where you go to a bike shop and get fitted, test out bikes, and then buy online or second hand instead of buying from that shop.  Here that must happen even more.

Edited by suzannegoh

bascially I think that you are dramatically over estimating the size of the market for expensive bikes in farang male sizes.  You might have helped a few people buy expensive bikes, but how many 100K baht bikes per year do you imagine that Chiang Mai residents buy?  And of those, what percent of that business could any one shop hope to get?  Even in the West "showrooming" is popular, where you go to a bike shop and get fitted, test out bikes, and then buy online or second hand instead of buying from that shop.  Here that must happen even more.

Firstly you assumed (incorrectly) that these were my neighbors.

Secondly you assumed (incorrectly) they were all for male falang.

Third you assumed (incorrectly) that I was estimating the size of a market.

Please feel free to re-read my reply.

I do find it interesting that you claim to be unaware of an area of which I never mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

So, REAL is a brand of bikes?  I had thought when the OP used the word 'real' he meant a genuine, well-made, expensive mtn bike, and one certainly not made in china.

They're (nearly) all made in China.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

11 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

They're (nearly) all made in China.

2 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

So, REAL is a brand of bikes?  I had thought when the OP used the word 'real' he meant a genuine, well-made, expensive mtn bike, and one certainly not made in china.

I thought that what the OP meant by REAL bikes was higher end bikes of the sort that enthusiasts  and racers would want rather than BigC brands like Coyote, Panther, Turbo, etc.

It’s true that most are made in China or Taiwan but being built but that doesn’t mean that they are all junkers, quality control standards in Taiwanese factories are high.

8 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

I thought that what the OP meant by REAL bikes was higher end bikes of the sort that enthusiasts  and racers would want rather than BigC brands like Coyote, Panther, Turbo, etc.

It’s true that most are made in China or Taiwan but being built but that doesn’t mean that they are all junkers, quality control standards in Taiwanese factories are high.

Could you please explain what  "well made" .... "one certainly not made in china" means

if also "made in China" ..."doesn’t mean that they are all junkers". 

Just bought another Trek mtb from the good folks at Northern Bike in Chiang Rai.  
They have SuperFly and Procaliber in the shop.  Both very nice hardtails IMO.  Nice prices too.  Built in Taiwan FYI.