Ease in Starting a business Thailand vs Malaysia

Hi,

I am considering moving to either Thailand or Malaysia and would like to start business there as well.

Anyone kind to share their experience on Thailand vs Malaysia when it comes to easy doing business,

company registration, the convenience as a foreigner for doing business.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards

Joe

Malaysia definitely. First you work with efficient people who speak your language and have an international mind set, in comparison to Thailand, which is still in development, they cannot communicate in Banking and in trade everything is complicated in Thai and constantly needs professional mitigation for mundane things. Malaysia has better PR opportnunities for investors, has many international connections, which Thailand still has to learn. Thailand is still a couple of years back for international investors and individual investors finding a common base. I would choose Malaysia!

I live in Malaysia at the moment and they keep the rules hidden in plain sight...only advantage is English

are you allowed to have your own company100% outright in Malaysia without having the need to employ a minimum number of Malaysian employees?

Edited by Asiantravel

Malaysia I think of another saying, "Whatever money you bring there you will never see again"

Malaysia is among the worst places in the world to work in, according to a new report by the International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC
Read more at http://www.businessinsider.my/worst-nations-to-work-in/#wk161tCiwwVEt1z3.99

http://www.businessinsider.my/worst-nations-to-work-in/#rITW7VTwPmQmCdQU.97

Edited by joeyg

Don't listen to all the people who have no idea about doing business in Thailand.

The more important question is what type of business are you referring to?

If you want to start a small one man operation then you can't (legally) do it, unless the business is one that despite only being one person, does in fact bring in significant revenues. For example any remote consulting work, app development etc.

You will need to hire 4 Thai nationals in order to qualify for a work permit, which is doable if your business can support 4 assistants or some other low paid positions (tea lady, maid, secretary, dog's body).

If on the other hand by 'business' you actually mean something that you intend to grow from 1 employee to 1000 and from one shop/outlet to 100 then yes Thailand is full of opportunities.

It is afterall a huge market, just the Middle Class and above in Bangkok is a big enough market if you can introduce something they will purchase.

Most guys on this forum are negative about business here because they think small. They think of some old bloke setting his Thai gf or wife up with a Som Tam stall, despite her and he having no business acumen and it making a few hundred baht a day.

There are so many opportunities in Bangkok if you know where to look and have the right connections and vision.

Don't listen to all the people who have no idea about doing business in Thailand.

The more important question is what type of business are you referring to?

If you want to start a small one man operation then you can't (legally) do it, unless the business is one that despite only being one person, does in fact bring in significant revenues. For example any remote consulting work, app development etc.

You will need to hire 4 Thai nationals in order to qualify for a work permit, which is doable if your business can support 4 assistants or some other low paid positions (tea lady, maid, secretary, dog's body).

If on the other hand by 'business' you actually mean something that you intend to grow from 1 employee to 1000 and from one shop/outlet to 100 then yes Thailand is full of opportunities.

It is afterall a huge market, just the Middle Class and above in Bangkok is a big enough market if you can introduce something they will purchase.

Most guys on this forum are negative about business here because they think small. They think of some old bloke setting his Thai gf or wife up with a Som Tam stall, despite her and he having no business acumen and it making a few hundred baht a day.

There are so many opportunities in Bangkok if you know where to look and have the right connections and vision.

"if you know where to look and have the right connections and vision." name a few

You wouldn't like Thailand then. The rule here is "Only invest the amount of money you're willing to lose"

Whose rule? Yours maybe, but not mine. Of course, that depends on the investment, which goes for all countries.

Forget about doing business in Thailand with ease. I've been helping a Thai friend setting up a business and it has taken 2 months, a lot of frustration and resources wasted just to have it moved to another country. Unless you want to do business solely IN Thailand and don't need to do anything international then you could give it a try, otherwise don't even think about it. Like others say, only invest that much in Thailand that you are willing to lose.

If you need to be in the region but have to do international business then i recommend you to look at HongKong and Singapore.

People who say otherwise clearly have no experience doing international business FROM Thailand. I wish i could be more positive because i'm quite the problemsolver with a proactive attitude, but in Thailand that just doesn't work.

Edited by PocoLoco

Opening up a company in Malaysia is not that hard, plenty of companies can do that for you...total cost less than $1000USD

Totally foreign owned you need around $125,000 USD cash...

Seems straight forward...

Here comes the tricky part, you need to set everything up, lease, business phone, business website, business email (not Gmail), business chop with company registration..And of course a business bank account..this is where the fun begins you cannot open a bank account without a valid visa (according to bank Negara) head back to immigration and you can't get a visa because your company is not setup, as it has no bank account...

It can take a ridiculous amount of time jumping through their hoops, remember you still don't have a visa to work in your company

The visa is now being done electronically through a 3rd party website ESD who will reject your application every 4 weeks with a new request of paper work that was never asked for in the first place...this will go on for months

Just closed a company set up 20 months ago with a local partner because of the bank account problem among other bureaucracy...could not be bothered any more

I have been living here 17 years, wife 26 years and is fluent in malay...unless you are willing to play their game it is not easy

To the OP Labuan is used by a lot of financial companies as it has some tax break issues...

Edited by Clamhua

You wouldn't like Thailand then. The rule here is "Only invest the amount of money you're willing to lose"

Really?? So how much did you lose on your business?? and really shouldn't this be the case with any business anywhere in the world, just because you open a business

doesn't mean it will work, no matter where you open it!

I hear this all the time from guys that heard it from someone else.

My partners and I opened our company in 2007 built it up and sold it in 2013 for very very good money. We're not getting ready to open another

factory in Thailand.

I have other friends that have opened and run companies in Thailand with no problems. Sure the govt can be a hassle to deal at times, but arn't all goverments like that.

Guys that lose money in Thailand either had no experience in the business or they dont speak any or very little Thai and rely on other people to tell

them the rules, regulations etc.

OP as for your question it would depend on several things such as the type of business, skill level of workers needed, etc.

Thailand is much more industrialized than Malaysia so for manufacturing Thailand would be better. Both have their Pros and Cons. Give us an idea what you are thinking of doing.

Forget about doing business in Thailand with ease. I've been helping a Thai friend setting up a business and it has taken 2 months, a lot of frustration and resources wasted just to have it moved to another country. Unless you want to do business solely IN Thailand and don't need to do anything international then you could give it a try, otherwise don't even think about it. Like others say, only invest that much in Thailand that you are willing to lose.

If you need to be in the region but have to do international business then i recommend you to look at HongKong and Singapore.

People who say otherwise clearly have no experience doing international business FROM Thailand. I wish i could be more positive because i'm quite the problemsolver with a proactive attitude, but in Thailand that just doesn't work.

We had no issues with international orders. We had buyers from Korea, Japan, Australia, Germany, Vietnam and Singapore. Shipments would be 2-3 (40') containers at a time.

Really?? So how much did you lose on your business?? and really shouldn't this be the case with any business anywhere in the world, just because you open a business

doesn't mean it will work, no matter where you open it!

I hear this all the time from guys that heard it from someone else.

My partners and I opened our company in 2007 built it up and sold it in 2013 for very very good money. We're not getting ready to open another

factory in Thailand.

I have other friends that have opened and run companies in Thailand with no problems. Sure the govt can be a hassle to deal at times, but arn't all goverments like that.

Guys that lose money in Thailand either had no experience in the business or they dont speak any or very little Thai and rely on other people to tell

them the rules, regulations etc.

OP as for your question it would depend on several things such as the type of business, skill level of workers needed, etc.

Thailand is much more industrialized than Malaysia so for manufacturing Thailand would be better. Both have their Pros and Cons. Give us an idea what you are thinking of doing.

"Really?? So how much did you lose on your business?? LOL. Nothing I retired well off from a medical career in the states. I do have one friend who had a very large business here for for over 25 years that did great for a while. Then lost his shirt. Numerous other friends some success others failure. Everyone said the same. In the end it wasn't worth it.

How about your Thai business? Running AOK? LOL

I think it all really comes down to what type of business you are running.

Thailand is one of the easiest places to get a business started and be successful given the market and supporting industries. If you think Malaysia is easy, just think again, its just as corrupt as Thailand with authorities demanding bribes at all levels.

I have friends who run all different types of manufacturing businesses, trading, restaurants, and even pre-schools. It really all depends on your business plan. Many fail here because their business idea is just bad or they are not willing to put enough work into making it work.

Hi,

I am considering to start with some small Shawarma & Falafel store, tried the taste in so many places in Bangkok/Phuket and Kuala Lumpur but

none was really that tasty, especially the Falafel, speaking as a person that had this kind of business for years.

While living there and doing this business, I will be able to have a better understanding for going further or making other kinds of business

there. I won't be dependent on this business as this is not my main.

Thailand will always be the more favourite choice for living but so far it seems that it's easier to do business as a foreigner in Malaysia.

I am not 100% sure yet but it appears to me so.

On 7/29/2016 at 6:25 PM, PocoLoco said:

Unfortunately you sound like a comp,lete <deleted>

• 2 months later...