Gasohol 91 and gasohol 95 to be phased out: Energy Business Dept

webfact

I am confused with all of this. My car manufacture recommend I use gasohol 91. If they stop making it what would I use in replacement?

Gasohol 95 or E20

been running my old 2 stroke motorbike on gasohol 91 for years now....most said it would be disastrous to the engine it wasn't.

You are also adding 2-stroke oil and that is what negates the downside to the ethanol.

But zi would not run E20 as you suggested above. I would only run the 95.

great, let's chop down more forests to grow 'bio' fuel.

is more environmentally friendly to produce ethanol than it is to burn fossil fuels. the extraction and consumption of oil and coal creating carbon dioxide is the greatest threat to the human race. loosing forests is the side effect of having to cut carbon emissions in this case.

Ethanol is definitely a fossil fuel, especially so, - that you can even see it grown (if you can patiently watch 'grass' grow...

To refer to the other stuff (petrol) as a fossil fuel is a misnomer.

It is a fallacy drawn up by BigPharmaFuella to pad their own future, pretending the stuff is going to run out cheesy.gif

Petrol is totally synthetic ( refer to the WW2 German production of it, that-let-the-cat-out of the bag)

The reserves of the raw stuff is supposed to be sooo deep in the earth,

but what is not widely revealed is that it is too deep - to have come from the 'Dinosaur' ages

Being synthetic, the stuff will never run out - but all this replacing-octane thing is about making profit

I am sorry but not any of your post is supported by reality.

No disrespect.

Of course petrol isn't a fossil fuel, it is a product of crude oil.

Just humour him and let him believe whatever he wishes.

This is a really dopey article....petrol engined vehicles in Thailand are something like 75% 91-95 ron....the rest are E20 and E85.......they just can't phase out gasoline.....not until everyone runs vehicles that are bio fuel acceptable.10-20 years yet!

This is a really dopey article....petrol engined vehicles in Thailand are something like 75% 91-95 ron....the rest are E20 and E85.......they just can't phase out gasoline.....not until everyone runs vehicles that are bio fuel acceptable.10-20 years yet!

I read a different article that said 91 & 93 were being phased out but 95 would continue to be sold.

This author is not familiar with the subject matter.

Humm. Which politicians are heavily invested in providing modification services for millions of vehicles that can only run on 5% bio? More legislation that total screws the useless eaters poor.

Studies have indicated older vehicles can still run on 10% ethanol but more thsn that and the ethanol can start drying out gaskets.

Don't let this article get you worried--the gov't intends to still keep one 10% ethanol available at the pump--it is just not clear on what RON it will be.

My guess is they will still have a 'benzene' pump for those willing to pay. Half a tank of 'benzene' half a tank of E20 and Bob's your uncle.

Can I put it in my 10 year old bike is the important thing!

Fortunately the truck is diesel and no need to get confused over that, yet.

You do not want to put anything with more than a 10% ethanol content into your bike.

The current labeled 91 or 93 or 95 fuels are what you are currently fueling up with?

Atleast one of those will continue to be available in the future from the research I have done.

As for your diesel, you should avoid anything with more thsn 5% biofuel.

Your engine wil run on 100% biofuel but the biofuels have a chemical constituent that is known to remove deposits from your fuel system which will quickly clog fuel filters as well as the much more expensive injectors.

Its actually beneficial to run a B5 diesel blend because the biofuel component of diesel has excellent lubricating qualities. (This is not true of ethanol in petrol).

Yes currently use gasohol 91 and it seems fine, Used regular petrol when I first got it, then 95 then 91. It is only a small thing but I would like to keep it going.

I read a different article that said 91 & 93 were being phased out but 95 would continue to be sold.

This author is not familiar with the subject matter.

who sells 93 ?

Ah yes, take away consumer choice to benefit the sugar barons.

This is where it is at; Sugar barons and others involved in ethanol production.

More ecologically sound? The jury is still out on that one; it takes a lot of land and energy to produce ethanol.

Pushing for older vehicles to be phased out?

A nice little earner for those invested in the auto industry and finance companies as folks replace vehicles that are increasingly inconvenient to run, even though they still have plenty of useful years left in them.

Can I put it in my 10 year old bike is the important thing!

Fortunately the truck is diesel and no need to get confused over that, yet.

My 19 year old Honda Dream runs OK for a while on gasohol, but eventually starts running roughly. It makes a mess of the carburettor, which has non gasohol compatible parts. I use benzine 95 to avoid problems, but it is a bit hard to come by in some places, and the most expensive option. Some, probably most 10 year-old motorcycles are gasohol compatible, but not all.

Why not just replace the bike……? Not really cost effective. I use a bicycle most days, and the motorcycle just a couple of days most week s. It has done over 250,000 km, and well maintained, it is still good for many more. It does 40 - 50 km / litre; typically I use about 5 litres a week, so about 170 at current prices.

Coughing up 40,000 baht for a new motorcycle might reduce my cost for fuel to about 120 a week, and be a little more convenient. However, at a saving of 50 baht a week, it would take 15 years to cover the cost of a new bike!

If the powers that be were serious about being eco-friendly they would be encouraging the use of motorcycles, bicycles electric vehicles, and harvesting solar energy directly (Elton Musk is on the right track, and money, there)…… and making more effective use of the stuff that come out of the ground in the meantime.

My 19 year old Honda Dream runs OK for a while on gasohol, but eventually starts running roughly. It makes a mess of the carburettor, which has non gasohol compatible parts.

The Honda Dream is still being made...you should be able to find some parts ( carburettor rebuild kit ) that will be at least E20 compatible for your Dream.

Worse case scenario is a brand new carburettor with ethanol resistant parts about 2-3000 baht.

post-2109-0-55953900-1469858794_thumb.jp

My 19 year old Honda Dream runs OK for a while on gasohol, but eventually starts running roughly. It makes a mess of the carburettor, which has non gasohol compatible parts.

The Honda Dream is still being made...you should be able to find some parts ( carburettor rebuild kit ) that will be at least E20 compatible for your Dream.

Worse case scenario is a brand new carburettor with ethanol resistant parts about 2-3000 baht.

attachicon.gifIMG_20160718_171617 (Medium).jpg

Arent the "new" dreams using the wave 125 engine ?

I doubt much is compatible with an "old" dream

Arent the "new" dreams using the wave 125 engine ?

I doubt much is compatible with an "old" dream

don't know if its a wave engine but the one in my photo is a 110 cc.

Ive seen quite a few "original" dreams still riding around how do they keep them going without spares I wonder ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When they phased out pure 91 a few years ago there was loads of hoo ha about the old 2 stroke motorbikes having to goto the scrapheap

as the ethanol would ruin the engines... you still see them zooming around or more likely stuck to a vending cart sad.png

My Honda NSR 150 has no problems running gasohol 91..it hasnt melted into a gloopy mess on the driveway..YET !

20% ethanol is supposed to be more corrosive so more prone to causing damage but these are old run around vehicles

( not classic E type Jaguars )

if they stop selling gasohol 91/95 I'll try using E20 I'm cautiously optimistic that nothing catastrophic will happen...maybe the engine life is shorten by a few years ??

On 7/30/2016 at 3:12 PM, johng said:

don't know if its a wave engine but the one in my photo is a 110 cc.

Ive seen quite a few "original" dreams still riding around how do they keep them going without spares I wonder ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When they phased out pure 91 a few years ago there was loads of hoo ha about the old 2 stroke motorbikes having to goto the scrapheap

as the ethanol would ruin the engines... you still see them zooming around or more likely stuck to a vending cart sad.png

My Honda NSR 150 has no problems running gasohol 91..it hasnt melted into a gloopy mess on the driveway..YET !

20% ethanol is supposed to be more corrosive so more prone to causing damage but these are old run around vehicles

( not classic E type Jaguars )

if they stop selling gasohol 91/95 I'll try using E20 I'm cautiously optimistic that nothing catastrophic will happen...maybe the engine life is shorten by a few years ??

2 downsides. If the fueling system is not compatible with 20 % ethanol, the rubber bits will fail. The second is that your consumption will go up.

23 minutes ago, Morakot said:

Depending on brand,

E20 = 95-98

E85 = 102-105

But please keep in mind this is only part of the picture.

Ethanol has less energy than gasoline so E20 Flex-Fuel vehicles have been programmed to recognize the Ethanol content and adjust fuel volume accordingly. 

E20 requires almost 1/3 more fuel per mile/km than the 100% gasoline equivalent. 

19 hours ago, Gonsalviz said:

2 downsides. If the fueling system is not compatible with 20 % ethanol, the rubber bits will fail. The second is that your consumption will go up.

Not only the rubber bits but also aluminum components will get destroyed. 

Don't they add some stuff to the fuel to try and prevent the corrosion ??

if 20 % ethanol destroys aluminium I think there will be lots of problems and angry drivers !

with melted carbos, pistons and engine blocks :lol:

4 hours ago, johng said:

Don't they add some stuff to the fuel to try and prevent the corrosion ??

if 20 % ethanol destroys aluminium I think there will be lots of problems and angry drivers !

with melted carbos, pistons and engine blocks :lol:

Ethanol absorbs water. The water is the corrosive problem. The manufacturers use things that are not subject to this but vehicles that were made before have the problem.