How Hot Is It In Direct Sunlight Now?

PeaceBlondie

It's hot, now, on the lawn! I went swimming at 2 pm and quit early because it was just too hot. I usually swim closer to 4 pm. Hey, it's the last half of November, I'm in the north of the country...it's hot, now. I got home and the thermometer said 30 degrees upstairs, in shade. I set it out in direct sunlight, and it jumped to 46. Ouch! For you foreign fahrenheiters, that's 115 degrees.

I tried the same thing during a Texas heat wave once. 101 in the shade, well over 125 on the asphalt (I was afraid the mercury thermometer would burst; maybe it was 135).

Meanwhile, in Aberdeen and Oslo....

When I lived in Sydney a few years ago, I remember driving out on the Paramatta Road where there are several of those 'clock, temperature towers' lining the car courtyards for 2-3 kms.

They are, of course, directly in the sunshine.

I remember passing one that said 48 centigrade. ###### hot.

I remember passing one that said 48 centigrade. ###### hot.

Hehehehe . . the 'profanity' meter on this forum is funny. That ###### was, in fact, d_a_m_n

I notice also that He_ll gets edited as well, but other more serious yet less ecclesiastically-focused words get through, particularly with the English spelling.

What's the story? Is this a Christen Brotherhood forum in disguise?

When I lived in Sydney a few years ago, I remember driving out on the Paramatta Road where there are several of those 'clock, temperature towers' lining the car courtyards for 2-3 kms.

Working out there at the moment and havent noticed. Will look again tomorrow. But it is getting ######ing hot here now as summer is coming or maybe its here!

Sitting at a traffic light on a motorcycle with its engine running, on asphalt or macadam, wearing a full-faced helmet: if the temp. in the shade is 31, it might be 49 on your scalp.

Trust you PB to talk about Hot helmets.!!!!! :D:D:D:o:D

Edited by Jockstar

Seriously, it's a problem. One day in Texas, I sat at the light wearing a full face (helmets were optional that summer) on a Japanese sport bike. Some big Harley dude on a Sportster pulls up alongside, all leather and chains, but no helmet. He says, "Must be ******** hot inside that helmet." On the edge of passing out, I just say, "Yes."

Was sitting in the shade somewhere in Saudi once and we registered a temp of 54 degrees but offically in the newspaper (next day...bit late) the Gov insisted that it only ever went to 49 and a half.

The rules out there at the time was all work shut down (by royal decree) on the magic half century ...but of course never did :o:D

It's hot, now, on the lawn! I went swimming at 2 pm and quit early because it was just too hot. I usually swim closer to 4 pm. Hey, it's the last half of November, I'm in the north of the country...it's hot, now. I got home and the thermometer said 30 degrees upstairs, in shade. I set it out in direct sunlight, and it jumped to 46. Ouch! For you foreign fahrenheiters, that's 115 degrees.

I tried the same thing during a Texas heat wave once. 101 in the shade, well over 125 on the asphalt (I was afraid the mercury thermometer would burst; maybe it was 135).

Meanwhile, in Aberdeen and Oslo....

ehh, by putting the thermometer in the sun you are just measuring the heat absorbtion properties of your thermometer. Unless your thermometer is embedded in the material you want to measure the temperature of, the "temperature in sunlight" tells you nothing.

When I lived in Dallas many years ago, I remember seeing a demonstration with someone cracking open and egg on the side walk and slowly watched it cook. The hottest I've experienced was at Furnace Creek (very appropriate name) in Death Valley. During the day when I was there it hit around 54 degrees (130 farenheit).

At night, trying to sleep under the stars, still stayed around 43 degrees even at midnight. The ground temperature they said was around 90 (194 farenheit) which I found out the hard way by stepping out of the shade bare foot and trying to walk to a pond a few meters away in the sand, didn't know I could run that fast. :o