Phuket officials seize baby elephant from beach tout

webfact

Phuket officials seize baby elephant from beach tout
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1470049240_1-org.jpg

Playful baby elephant Nang Chok has her microchip scanned by Phuket Provincial Livestock officials. Photo: Phuket Livestock Office

PHUKET: -- Livestock officials together with Cherng Talay Police have seized a baby female elephant recently seen paraded along Surin and Bang Tao beaches by a mahout, touting for Phuket tourists to pay to have their photos taken with the infant pachyderm and to play with.

The elephant, 6-year-old “Nang Chok”, was taken into protective custody at Bang Tao Beach, Cherng Talay, this afternoon (Aug 1).

Her registered owner, Boonchu Rattanadilok Na Phuket, is now facing charges of smuggling Nang Chok into Phuket.

“The microchip implanted in the elephant confirmed her identity and origin,” said Surajit Witchuwan of the Phuket Provincial Livestock Office.

“The elephant is a female called ‘Nang Chok’. She is 6 years old. She was born in Surin province (in Isan) and microchipped and officially registered in Tak province,” he told The Phuket News.

Mr Surajit estimated Nang Chok to be valued at about B1.4 million.

“She was transferred to Phang Nga province, then moved to Phuket without permission,” he said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-officials-seize-baby-elephant-from-beach-tout-58493.php

-- The Phuket News 2016-08-02

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

"Mr Surajit estimated Nang Chok to be valued at about B1.4 million."

Seriously? 

Isn't this the same elephant which officials had publicly announced they were searching for a week sgo?

Not a very smart mahoot.

Not very smart officials either...took a week to find an elephant on the beach!!

I saw a similar sized elephant in Kabinburi this weekend being led along the roadside with a rope around the neck and the sharp spike in it's ear.

Surely this behaviour is not necessary looked cruel to me.

1 hour ago, Stupi said:

I saw a similar sized elephant in Kabinburi this weekend being led along the roadside with a rope around the neck and the sharp spike in it's ear.

there are always some unscruplous people out to make a quick buck whichever way they can

and totally oblivious to the pain they subjecting the poor animals to. or possibly they know nothing else to do or 

a combination of both. well done Stupi for your effort in creating awareness of animal protection.

1 hour ago, Stupi said:

So I presume you took a few photos and reported this?

Or did you do nothing, but will still be surprised next time you see this that nothing has changed?

5 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

"Mr Surajit estimated Nang Chok to be valued at about B1.4 million."

Seriously? 

Isn't this the same elephant which officials had publicly announced they were searching for a week sgo?

Not a very smart mahoot.

I bought the girlfriend  an Elephant. She lost it? It's somewhere in the Condo !! 

Edited by ScotBkk

The "elephant in the room" is the owners surname.  Her registered owner, Boonchu Rattanadilok Na Phuket,  The Na prefix implies a royal connection (even if only local Phuket royalty) and probably exempts him from penalties of any sort.

13 hours ago, colinneil said:

Time for officials to put a stop to people using elephants for financial gain.

These magnificent animals are being exploited for money by too many people.

Well I guess they sort of did put a stop to it by seizing the elephant!

Quarantine for baby elephant found on Bangtao Beach

Sukawin Tanthavanich

1_20168217722503_UEOfAozaEaRkPYPMtIEhJdmCYpvlDuZYzoEAcDah_jpeg.jpeg

PHUKET:-- The Phuket Provincial Livestock Office (PPLO) has quarantined a baby elephant found on Bangtao Beach after her owner was charged yesterday for moving the animal to Phuket without a proper permit. 

Livestock officers moved the six-year-old pachyderm named ‘Nang Chok’ after tourists and locals expressed concern for the animal's well being.

“Boonchu Rattanadilok Na Phuket, the owner of Nang Chok, does not have the proper documentation for moving the elephant to Phuket,” PPLO officer Surajit Witchuwan told the Phuket Gazette.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Quarantine-baby-elephant-found-Bangtao-Beach/65325?desktopversion

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-08-02

This young elephant should be with its mother as part of a herd. At 6 it is just weaned but young elephants learn from their piers and parents.....it's probably frightened stressed and confused....an utter disgrace!

it would also be nice to take DNA sample and find out where it really came from!

On 8/2/2016 at 8:03 AM, Monkeyrobot said:

How do you smuggle an Elephant from Surin to Phuket ? 

Well first of all you need a Ruddy Great BiG brown envelope, 

then you have two options;

1. stuff it with money and pass to nearest official who can facilitate required movement papers

OR

2. make sure your envelope big enough to cover the pachyderm in question 

any more takers?

Edited by Lokie