Thailand Elite Card is pleased to announce the release of four new membership programs

The key line on it is the spend into the economy by the members as has been recognised...

"The Thailand Privilege cards help promote the economy and tourism as its members spend a lot on goods and services in Thailand, including golf courses, hospital services, spas, restaurants and others. Some of them also bought condominiums," Mr Pruet said.

• Like 2

Well realistically that crowd isn't wrong. Most of the posters saying that would be better served with a used Toyota and a trunk full of baby formula and diapers than a TE visa. Laos and Cambodia funnily enough are less easy to move to now with the land crossing thing.

If you want access to Thailand's shopping better get a visa.  The visa game now squeezes people on both sides of the border. I have a visa for both Thailand and Laos but see the impact it has had on people living on the Lao side who aren't as fortunate. 

Luckily for me I have a TE and can come and go as many times as I choose and my freedom of movement isn't impeded in anyway. I have a condo here in Bangkok and a guesthouse in Laos so I go across land crossings more than twice a year to bring supplies. Just another benefit of the TE that is hard to put a price on.

I won't get into prices in Laos but it is more expensive to buy commodities there if you can not access shopping on the Thai side.

Firstly there is a bit of a difference between having a friend who gives you information and actually personally holding the card for 9 years as I did. I can speak from personal experience.
I lived in Thailand  between 2003 when the card was first issued to 2012 not working and for the whole 9 years and not one immigration officer  uttered a thing about not being able to continually live here. Yes I had to do a border run every 90 days but I was excited to do so and even though I was fully entitled to just walk immediately back into Thailand I very rarely did so because it was an interesting break every 90 days to explore adjoining countries in Southeast Asia.
But again I repeat what I said before. I'm not intending to directly compare the two cards but what I am saying is I still got the benefit of living full-time and there is a substantial difference between paying less than 2000 baht per year compared to 100,000 baht.

Thanks for sharing. How did you obtain the APEC card when living full time in Thailand? Were you employed at a company in a participating country?

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 5/8/2017 at 9:49 PM, DUS said:

Well, for me there is only ONE benefit that really counts... the 5 year visa in my passport. 

Well, to continue my story, DUS. Spoke to Thai Elite staff yesterday, raced around and got new photo and emailed application yesterday. They replied that application etc is ok and will have to wait 5 working days for immigration clearance. Asked 2 questions:

a) Do I have 3 blank pages in passport? Yes

B) When does my non B extension expire? 26 May or will be cancelled when I fly to Oz on Sunday.

So, if approved I will know about Wednesday next week, then have 5 working days to pay money, with 4 days for clearance.

The only thing I'm not sure of is:

Can I hop on a plane in Perth and fly to Suvarnabhumi without any visa to meet the Thai Elite people?

Will the airlines allow me to board at Perth without a Visa in my passport?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, newatthis said:

B) When does my non B extension expire? 26 May or will be cancelled when I fly to Oz on Sunday.

So, if approved I will know about Wednesday next week, then have 5 working days to pay money, with 4 days for clearance.

The only thing I'm not sure of is:

Can I hop on a plane in Perth and fly to Suvarnabhumi without any visa to meet the Thai Elite people?

B ) For all intents and purposes your extension ended on the date you left the country. Unless you have a re-entry permit it will completely gone when you enter the country.

The airline could ask to see a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival. Having a one way ticket to anywhere would meet the requirement. You could get one to a nearby country on a low cost carrier for not a lot of baht.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

B ) For all intents and purposes your extension ended on the date you left the country. Unless you have a re-entry permit it will completely gone when you enter the country.

The airline could ask to see a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival. Having a one way ticket to anywhere would meet the requirement. You could get one to a nearby country on a low cost carrier for not a lot of baht.

Thanks for that Ubonjoe. I'll find the cheapest flight to where ever when the time comes.

1 hour ago, Robert24 said:

Thanks for sharing. How did you obtain the APEC card when living full time in Thailand? Were you employed at a company in a participating country?

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

In 2003 I was living in Thailand full-time and I wasn’t working. But I have managed to get one-year non-B Visa's at the Thai consulate in Sydney which some may recall where considerably easier to get back in those days.

Then miraculously this card was introduced so using my credit card I paid the $186 and applied to the Australian government (you don’t have to deal with Thai immigration at all- only when you leave and enter the country) I then I had to wait 3 to 4 months to get clearance from all the other member countries. The only important criteria was that you could not have any criminal record.

This is why I think the card is so well regarded because you have been thoroughly vetted by your own government and other APEC governments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APEC_Business_Travel_Card

Edited by midas

1 hour ago, newatthis said:

I would take the Thailand Elite documentation with you to the airport, and explain the situation to the airline supervisor if necessary. Unless the supervisor is mentally defective (unfortunately, always a possibility) there should be no problem.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I would take the Thailand Elite documentation with you to the airport, and explain the situation to the airline supervisor if necessary. Unless the supervisor is mentally defective (unfortunately, always a possibility) there should be no problem.

Thanks, BritTim.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Wouldn't worry about it too much. The first time you save a bit of money because you went when you wanted and not when you were forced to will be a satisfying feeling. It is a bit of money to pay for all at once but it starts to come back in benefits with in the first year. 

Thanks! 

TE emailed me back this morning to confirm that they've received my application and that they forwarded it to immigration for their approval. So far so good ... 

• Like 2

Stay Extension Fee, 5 Year Elite Visa.

Reading the Thai Elite Website it says:"The member is exempt from the requirement to leave Thailand to extend the length of stay, but is subject to a stay extension fee as stated in the Thai Immigration service duty charges." 

So now I don't see any cost saving for a 50 year old that has the nominal extension of stay based upon retirement.  Granted the Elite is a way for somebody that could not qualify for a 50 years of age retirement process.  Am I reading this right?

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

Stay Extension Fee, 5 Year Elite Visa.

Reading the Thai Elite Website it says:"The member is exempt from the requirement to leave Thailand to extend the length of stay, but is subject to a stay extension fee as stated in the Thai Immigration service duty charges." 

So now I don't see any cost saving for a 50 year old that has the nominal extension of stay based upon retirement.  Granted the Elite is a way for somebody that could not qualify for a 50 years of age retirement process.  Am I reading this right?

The only real difference for someone over 50 is that, with a TE visa, the extension is automatic without needing to consider bank letters and maintaining a balance for three months. If you mess up a retirement extension, it is a bit of a pain restarting the process. With the TE visa, you also do not need an extension at all if you travel at least once a year (as most people who are not skint tend to do). That said, most over 50s probably will tend towards the retirement extension. For them, the cost saving is probably worth a bit of a hassle.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

The only real difference for someone over 50 is that, with a TE visa, the extension is automatic without needing to consider bank letters and maintaining a balance for three months […]

There is a 10 year retirement visa in the works, it requires an initial balance of 3 million or income of 100,000 baht/month, proof of health insurance, and will cost 10,000 baht, but while it has been approved by cabinet, it still hasn’t shown up as an option when applying for visa.

3 minutes ago, lkn said:

There is a 10 year retirement visa in the works, it requires an initial balance of 3 million or income of 100,000 baht/month, proof of health insurance, and will cost 10,000 baht, but while it has been approved by cabinet, it still hasn’t shown up as an option when applying for visa.

It is an imaginary visa at this point. The health insurance aspect eliminates 90% of the people in Thailand anyway.

Edited by anotheruser

It is an imaginary visa at this point. The health insurance aspect eliminates 90% of the people in Thailand anyway.

I would have thought its easy for people to choose a low cost health insurance policy, even if people declare no previous health issues.

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

I would have thought its easy for people to choose a low cost health insurance policy, even if people declare no previous health issues.

Not when you are 80+ plus years old and have an artificial heart. 

Edited by anotheruser

3 hours ago, DUS said:

But that is of course something u knew alreaday  .... 

No I don't already know.  I assumed the 5 year TE visa covered everything.  The part I quoted from their website says one must pay for extension.  Other people seem to be saying the one year extensions are automatic.  So are they automatic but you still have to pay?

Also last year they announced an 800k option for 10 years.  This is not that nutty sounding investment 10 year thing.  Has anybody gotten the 800k for 10 years?

2 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

No I don't already know.  I assumed the 5 year TE visa covered everything.  The part I quoted from their website says one must pay for extension.  Other people seem to be saying the one year extensions are automatic.  So are they automatic but you still have to pay?

Also last year they announced an 800k option for 10 years.  This is not that nutty sounding investment 10 year thing.  Has anybody gotten the 800k for 10 years?

I just wouldn't buy one if I were you. Why not contact them directly if you are so curious? 

Edited by anotheruser

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Still easy, you just say you are totally healthy, pay the premium, and then use the certificate for the visa. That's why the idea is flawed.

Healthy and have insurance eliminates around 90% of the people here. Nobody wants to touch them with a ten foot pole insurance wise. 

4 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

I just wouldn't buy one if I were you. Why not contact them directly if you are so curious? 

I have contacted them and waiting for a reply.  Why don't you provide some answers instead of being obtuse?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gk10002000 said:

I have contacted them and waiting for a reply.  Why don't you provide some answers instead of being obtuse?

Because you ask the same questions that have been answered 25 pages ago. I simply can't take you at face value with your questions.

Let us know what they say.

Edited by anotheruser
  • Like 1

Just now, anotheruser said:

Because you ask the same questions that have been answered 25 pages ago. I simply can't take you at face value with your questions.

The questions were not answered.  And even if they were, it is none of your concern if somebody asks again.  If you know so much, post the answers, if, not be quiet

• Like 1