Thailand Elite Card is pleased to announce the release of four new membership programs

21 minutes ago, lkn said:

And it seems to have been a success, given the uptick in members, so no need to chastise YetAnother for his suggestion.

I didn't chastise anyone. I pointed out the fact that YetAnother's suggestion of cutting fees in half, that anotheruser claimed would never happen, has already happened.

They couldn't really fail to get an uptake in members and successfully boost their cash flow, which IMO was the sole purpose of the new programs, but time will tell if it was a success in providing longevity to the scheme.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Okay so the price should be affordable now? People were asking for a price cut and got it. Can't see the entry level ever going below 500K. I don't think there is enough to chop up if they discount it any further. 

I don't think the price is wrong but the demographic may be off. If they cut the price in half again many still couldn't afford it. They may have over estimated the kind of people that come to Thailand. 

I think 500K is affordable to thousands of visitors/expats, but for many of us it is simply an unnecessary expense.

There is nothing wrong with the pricing and you are right that they have overestimated the appeal, but when you look at who set up the original scheme, it doesn't take a genius to work out who's mutual benefit the scheme was set up for.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I didn't chastise anyone. I pointed out the fact that YetAnother's suggestion of cutting fees in half, that another user claimed would never happen, has already happened.

They couldn't really fail to get an uptake in members and successfully boost their cash flow, which IMO was the sole purpose of the new programs, but time will tell if it was a success in providing longevity to the scheme.

I think it was my comment which may have been considered a 'chastise'... when YetAnother commented on cutting the cost in half and tripling the interest - how could he possibly know that ?... He doesn't it was just an off the cuff comment which he didn't really think about...  Of course lowering the cost of anything would increase interest, but it's impossible to quantify how much... 

He wants the T.E. Program to be affordable - it is, just not to everyone. 

The Scheme has been running for over 10 years now, but it's history has been somewhat marred by whether or not it will remain running - I'm guessing that will never go away which is why many have been reluctant to go for the 20 year option making the 5 year option more attractive as a direct result of foreseeable instability. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think it was my comment which may have been considered a 'chastise'... when YetAnother commented on cutting the cost in half and tripling the interest - how could he possibly know that ?... He doesn't it was just an off the cuff comment which he didn't really think about...  Of course lowering the cost of anything would increase interest, but it's impossible to quantify how much... 

He wants the T.E. Program to be affordable - it is, just not to everyone. 

The Scheme has been running for over 10 years now, but it's history has been somewhat marred by whether or not it will remain running - I'm guessing that will never go away which is why many have been reluctant to go for the 20 year option making the 5 year option more attractive as a direct result of foreseeable instability. 

The thing is if the country becomes that unstable visas will be the least of the worries. These guys who won't buy a TE because of potential instability in the future yet built houses here carry the same risk. 

In that regard TE members aren't really taking any sort of disproportionate risks. I did the 5 year one as well as it was all I needed and won't even use most of it. However if people are really worried about being denied visas the other visa types are just as vulnerable if not more so do to having yearly extensions and the burden of proving finances etc. to get another year. 

The lower hanging fruit will always be the first to get cut should heads be put on the block.

If the government decides in the future for whatever reason to not honor TE visas they can just as easily do this to anybody else they want to. Now we are going back to something that has already been discussed though. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

If the government decides in the future for whatever reason to not honor TE visas they can just as easily do this to anybody else they want to. Now we are going back to something that has already been discussed though. 

I think all existing and future pre-paid visas will be honored regardless of what happens to scheme 2.0. I don't think anyone should be concerned on that front. Visa stickers cost next to nothing.

27 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

The thing is if the country becomes that unstable visas will be the least of the worries. These guys who won't buy a TE because of potential instability in the future yet built houses here carry the same risk. 

In that regard TE members aren't really taking any sort of disproportionate risks. I did the 5 year one as well as it was all I needed and won't even use most of it. However if people are really worried about being denied visas the other visa types are just as vulnerable if not more so do to having yearly extensions and the burden of proving finances etc. to get another year. 

The lower hanging fruit will always be the first to get cut should heads be put on the block.

Out if interest, how many times in the last 50 years has Thailand become unstable enough to put off long term tourists or how many times have visa programs been revoked and people lost their visa status?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Out if interest, how many times in the last 50 years has Thailand become unstable enough to put off long term tourists or how many times have visa programs been revoked and people lost their visa status?

Just off the top of my head a few years back the airport was shut down. There have been a few other times people have avoiding coming because of local skirmishes in recent times. 

The reality is if times get really rough and things kick off big time it is then a question of who can afford to leave not who can afford to stay.

Edited by anotheruser

1 minute ago, anotheruser said:

Just off the top of my head a few years back the airport was shut down. There have been a few other times people have avoiding coming because of local skirmishes in recent times. 

The reality is if times get really rough and things kick off big time it is then a question of who can afford to leave not who can afford to stay.

I do not think that put anyone off and I do not remember any articles on long term tourists being affected or visas cancelled.

Has anyone been deported out of Thailand with a cancelled visa due to the Government revoking them? Have any long term foreigners with ties to the country ever been deported or forced to leave due to the Government cancelling visa schemes or the usual once every 5 years internal dispute?

These are always internal Thai issues that have little effect on foreigners. The Thai's go out of their way to avoid involving foreigners although there are always stupid foreigners that get themselves involved.

Just now, Flustered said:

I do not think that put anyone off and I do not remember any articles on long term tourists being affected or visas cancelled.

Has anyone been deported out of Thailand with a cancelled visa due to the Government revoking them? Have any long term foreigners with ties to the country ever been deported or forced to leave due to the Government cancelling visa schemes or the usual once every 5 years internal dispute?

These are always internal Thai issues that have little effect on foreigners. The Thai's go out of their way to avoid involving foreigners although there are always stupid foreigners that get themselves involved.

The airport thing for sure put people off. Anyway I never suggested anything about the past. I was talking about what may take place in the future. One thing people are saying is they do not feel comfortable with committing to a TE for a long period because of the uncertainty of the future. I was somewhat commenting about people making those comments and said the risk of a TE isn't any higher than anything else people are doing.

I also mentioned in a worst case scenario if things did heat up the cost of a visa would be the least of one's worries. As far as visas go I suspect they will not cancel any visas but will probably make the requirements to obtain a visa more difficult in the future. This is why I said it will be the lower hanging fruit that finds itself at risk.

No visa cancellations will come but income requirements being upped at some time in the future is almost a certainty imo. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

No visa cancellations will come but income requirements being upped at some time in the future is almost a certainty imo. 

I agree on this one.

I am not sure what there is to gain by upping the income levels as there are no benefits to a foreigner living in Thailand so no drain on the State. ExPats are however spending money in the Thai economy so you would imagine they would be welcome.

Certainly I have not seen any reason for me not to go for the 20 year TE. It ticks all of the boxes for our needs. 

Just now, Flustered said:

I agree on this one.

I am not sure what there is to gain by upping the income levels as there are no benefits to a foreigner living in Thailand so no drain on the State. ExPats are however spending money in the Thai economy so you would imagine they would be welcome.

Certainly I have not seen any reason for me not to go for the 20 year TE. It ticks all of the boxes for our needs. 

More foreign currency sitting in a bank I guess. Insurance has been a hot button issue but that's all in another thread. Most guys on 65,000  a month and over 50 can't afford insurance. 

Anyway we are getting off topic. The only real reason not to but a TEVis if you don't like the price. That is a very subjective thing. 

3 hours ago, Flustered said:

Has anyone been deported out of Thailand with a cancelled visa due to the Government revoking them?

Yes, people have been deported and had their visa revoked.

However, the PE visa itself is basically free for the government, so it is very hard to see why they would revoke issued PE visas (as long as the holder is not politically active or a journalist¹). They may (and have) cut down on services, and I think they have also tried to get lifetime members over to the limited plans, but I wouldn’t worry about an already issued PE visa being revoked.

¹ I know this would require a work permit which you cannot get with a PE visa.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lkn said:

Yes, people have been deported and had their visa revoked.

Surely, only if they have violated Thai visa rules or customs and not because of a change of visa rules?

drop the fees by half and you will see 3 times the number of people signing up; o, sorry, too advanced for the thai elite folks

It's a good idea, if a price was chosen that enticed the majority of people to not bother with retirement visas or doing loads of visa runs the authorities would make more money.

47 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's a good idea, if a price was chosen that enticed the majority of people to not bother with retirement visas or doing loads of visa runs the authorities would make more money.

They aren't trying to lure retirees or visa hoppers. 

5 hours ago, Flustered said:

Surely, only if they have violated Thai visa rules or customs and not because of a change of visa rules?

Neither. What I was talking about are people who are a nuisance to the junta.

Not strictly a TE question but related to me having the TE visa affixed later next month.

I entered TH on a METV and have a permission to stay till 26 June. On that day, I plan to go to CW to get my TE visa. My question is: Do I need to file my first 90 days report 30 days later (on or before 25 July) or will the 90 days clock be reset the moment I get the new visa affixed in my pp?

5 minutes ago, DUS said:

Not strictly a TE question but related to me having the TE visa affixed later next month.

I entered TH on a METV and have a permission to stay till 26 June. On that day, I plan to go to CW to get my TE visa. My question is: Do I need to file my first 90 days report 30 days later (on or before 25 July) or will the 90 days clock be reset the moment I get the new visa affixed in my pp?

You report will be due 90 days from the date they do the visa and one year entry stamp since it is a new entry.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You report will be due 90 days from the date they do the visa and one year entry stamp since it is a new entry.

Thanks! That´s great! I had "feared" that I would need to go to CW again within the 30 days after they put the new sticker in at CW.

Edited by DUS

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That would only be the case if you actually wrote down your current address while having the visa affixed right?

But I guess (havent done it yet but will next tuesday) that there will be a form to fill in at CW while having the visa affixed and then theres usually a space for address.

I can report back on tuesday but udonjoe is most likely correct.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jankan88 said:

That would only be the case if you actually wrote down your current address while having the visa affixed right?

That would have no effect upon when the report of staying in the country longer than 90 days would be due. Getting the new visa entry resets the 90 day count.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That would have no effect upon when the report of staying in the country longer than 90 days would be due. Getting the new visa entry resets the 90 day count.

Ahh okey, thank you for that clarification. 

18 minutes ago, Mover1 said:

Just wanted to give a bit of feedback - I used the Limo and Personal Assistance at Phuket airport for the first time last week, and the service was brilliant. Limo (taxi) from my place to the airport took about an hour, girl met me at the airport and guided me through immigration (No queue and i didn't have to say a word to the immigration officer even though there was a slight problem with a stamp or something), then into VIP lounge for free food and drinks while waiting for departure flight. Same great service on arrival back into Phuket, with a girl waiting as soon as I come off the plane, straight through immigration without a queue, straight into waiting limo. I felt like a proper VIP! Haha. I'm looking forward to my next international flight now. Before i used to dread coming back into immigration at Phuket, the queues used to be fxxxing horrendous sometimes. The new international terminal and it being low season meant it wasn't massively busy anyway, but hey, it was still a breeze getting back.

For a single bloke who's 44 yrs old and plans on staying in Thailand for at least 5 years, this was the right option for me. I'm glad this forum mentioned it in the first place as i might not have known about it otherwise. Cheers!

do you know offhand if this treatment is available at Chiang Mai, Don Mueang too? just curious

30 minutes ago, kekalot said:

do you know offhand if this treatment is available at Chiang Mai, Don Mueang too? just curious

CMX, yes, DMK, no / not yet.

I just got an email from them as I wanted some details on some things.  They say they do 90 day reporting for you in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket and Pattaya.  That seems convenient especially if they really can do that.  Also they do have the standard Elite easy Access for 500k baht for 5 years and the other option: Elite Family alternative, 800K baht for 10 years.  Anything longer than that seems a bit risky.  And you do pay 1900 baht a year at current price for the extension, although you don't have to leave the country each year.  Kind of surprised about the 1900 baht but I guess the immigration office still wants their cut

54 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I just got an email from them as I wanted some details on some things.  They say they do 90 day reporting for you in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket and Pattaya.  That seems convenient especially if they really can do that. 

They have always offered that service, but you need to deliver your passport to their office. Anyone can make a report for you as long as it isn't late.