Permanent Secretary for finance: Consumption will improve after politics stable

webfact

Permanent Secretary for finance: Consumption will improve after politics stable

BANGKOK, 3 August 2016 (NNT) - Permanent Secretary for Finance Somchai Sujjapongse has expressed his belief that consumption and investment will quickly rebound after Thai politics is stable. He added that he was confident that this year’s growth will be over 3%. 

Mr. Somchai said although consumption and investment in the private sector slowed down in the first quarter compared to the same period last year, people’s savings increased by 5% and listed companies reported much higher profits. 

Secretary-General of the Government Pension Fund Committee Sombat Narawutthichai said he believed that the charter referendum would affect the economy only in a short run due to Thailand’s stable economic system and conditions for doing business. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-08-03

And politics will only be stable when the PM says they are and  he can't really declare it as it affects his excuse to stay on.

Everything will continue to  '  improve  '  under the junta but never quite enough to acknowledge the nation is ready for an election.

Thai household debts are skyrocketing and getting bigger every day, foreign investors are turning to neighboring

countries for investments, people sitting on their money afraid to use it, GDP is tattering on around the 1%

and the minister is ' confident ' that all will be right if and when political situation will stabilized,

When, if ever, political situation in Thailand was stable longer that a year or 2? not that I remember in my

30 years here.........

9 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Thai household debts are skyrocketing and getting bigger every day, foreign investors are turning to neighboring

countries for investments, people sitting on their money afraid to use it, GDP is tattering on around the 1%

and the minister is ' confident ' that all will be right if and when political situation will stabilized,

When, if ever, political situation in Thailand was stable longer that a year or 2? not that I remember in my

30 years here.........

BBC is reporting an official source,  I didn't catch which one,  as saying foreign investment is down a massive 90% this year     !   

Now looking forward to the spin.

3 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

BBC is reporting an official source,  I didn't catch which one,  as saying foreign investment is down a massive 90% this year     !   

Here: Foreign direct investment (FDI) in Thailand in the first half of the year fell by more than 90% in value to the lowest mark in over a decade at US$347 million, reports the Bank of Thailand.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/1050453/foreign-direct-investment-collapses

3 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Spin, you want spin? How's this...

Blame it on the Big C deal, worth about US$3.5 billion, in which foreign investors sold their equity to Thai investors and repatriated those funds.

Now that's spin.

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

30 years here.........

Its called political theatre. Comrade Somchai is reading from the Junta script. It is basically to sooth the unwashed masses.