Members of public warned against violating Referendum Act

webfact

Members of public warned against violating Referendum Act

BANGKOK, 4 August 2016 (NNT) - Members of the public have been warned against violating the Referendum Act on August 7. 

Deputy police spokesman Piyaphan Pingmuang disclosed that there have been 58 cases in which the referendum law had been allegedly violated. Of that total, 18 cases involved criminal charges. The percentage of the violations of the law was viewed as small, compared to some 94,000 polling units nationwide. 

He quoted Article 61 of the Referendum Act as saying that any individual who might cause confusion and affect peace and order during the time of voting, publicize text, images or sound, either in a newspaper, radio, television, electronic media or other channels, which might be deemed either untruthful, harsh, offensive, rude, inciting or threatening, to the extent that the voters will either not exercise their right to vote or vote in a certain way or not cast their vote, will be punished with a maximum of 10 years in prison and a maximum of 200,000 baht in fine. 

Also deemed as against the law is the act of taking photos at a polling unit, showing off a ballot to others and bringing a ballot out of a polling unit, he said. 

In addition, the court may revoke his/her right to vote for a maximum of five years, he said.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-08-04

Maybe I'm being far too careful but I was always taught to be cautious so I've warned my daughter overseas not to be surprised if I  '  disappear  ' over the weekend as there's a chance that comms may be affected.

We all know how the junta is paranoid about social media etc is used to subvert them,  arrange anti-junta meetings etc. so it wouldn't be any surprise if they cut various services ahead of and during the referendum.

"... might be deemed either untruthful, harsh, offensive, rude, inciting or threatening,..." Another protected profession for the Junta. Considering the difficulty of even finding the proposal, would be difficult to know if saying something untruthful or not. And dare not talk to anyone to sort it out. I guess Junta want a "silent majority", eh?

31 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

"... might be deemed either untruthful, harsh, offensive, rude, inciting or threatening,..." Another protected profession for the Junta. Considering the difficulty of even finding the proposal, would be difficult to know if saying something untruthful or not. And dare not talk to anyone to sort it out. I guess Junta want a "silent majority", eh?

"harsh, offensive, rude" So at the junta's behest, adding these three terms to a legal document under law is astounding as they are open to interpretation by the junta or their own privet court ( military court) that can come up with the desired result.

Every time I have asked any of the junta fan club to justify trying civilians in a military court they have 2 tactics.

The first is to deflect with random accusations at anyone, or trying to take the post off topic

The second is to the three wise monkeys gig,  plug their ears, cover their eyes, and cover their mouths, just innor the question as they know it can not be justified.  Not enough back bone to even have a half hearted crack at it.

Don't be surprised if it get's up,  but then again if not then the junta leader has said he will stay on and wright a new constitution.

15 minutes ago, bark said:

Lets hope there is a 80 + percent turn out. When Thai people decide enough is enough. They will vote.

I think you are being optimistic  -  I don't think they are being paid for this one!

12 hours ago, Redline said:

Image result for see no evil hear no evil

A picture speaks a thousand words,  but this one gives three answers.

Let me guess who they are???   

The Thai judicial system when asked about Suthep and the mad monk blocking voting centers and bashing any that try to vote???  Yes,    

And the  junta when asked will there be a coup again, and faced with Suthep admitting it was planed along time ago???  Yes,

And the junta fan club after when asked to defend the junta's crimes against human rights and trying civilians in a military court???  Yes, Yes, Yes...

The title of the picture is not three wise monkeys,   but cowards when asked questions...

Edited by aussieinthailand
missed line