"Black Eagle" gang of email scammers arrested - five Africans and three Thai women in custody

webfact

"Black Eagle" gang of email scammers arrested - five Africans and three Thai women in custody

a5.jpg

Image: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- Police in Bangkok have announced the arrest of a gang of email scammers who they say defrauded many Thai women of a total of nine million baht.

Five of the gang were West African males and the other three were Thai females, reported Sanook. 

A total of 87 pieces of evidence including 27 phones, 30 bankbooks and 5 computer notebooks were taken in in two raids in the Prachacheun Phetkasem and Nonthaburi areas of the capital. 

Police said that the scam involved tricking the victims into parting with money through bank transfers for non-existent purchases.

Meanwhile investigations are continuing into the so called Romance scams that have seen dozens of Thai women defrauded. 

Police said that there are at least 80 victims of various gangs known to them at present with 100 million being the current figure that is claimed to have been lost.

Police said that the particularly vulnerable group was 40 plus females who were either single or divorced. 

Warnings not to believe the sweet talk of well heeled foreigners online were once again issued to all Thais but especially this vulnerable group.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-04

3 hours ago, Chapelroad said:

To suggest 99% are here for the sex trade is ludicrous.

I never came here for that, first came 25 years ago, lived here now for 11 years, and I do still not participate in it.

99% is here for the sex.  Now you heard it again 

Slowly Thai Embassies and Immigration should be aware there are way too many black sheep in the herd moving in from West Africa. The quick gain from providing "business visa" in Abuja, Acra, and Freetown may come with a very expensive price tag for ordinary folks at the end. However, it seems easier to crack down on old pensioners for bingo, to keep the public eye from spotting "tax" paying Africans providing their typical nightly "business services" along Sukhumvit sois.

55 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Slowly Thai Embassies and Immigration should be aware there are way too many black sheep in the herd moving in from West Africa. The quick gain from providing "business visa" in Abuja, Acra, and Freetown may come with a very expensive price tag for ordinary folks at the end. However, it seems easier to crack down on old pensioners for bingo, to keep the public eye from spotting "tax" paying Africans providing their typical nightly "business services" along Sukhumvit sois.

Actually think it was for bridge .

its a pity that West Africa has gained such an appalling reputation and many resort to dubious activities, but must admit there really cannot be too many Nigerians who run legitimate businesses here. 

3 hours ago, arithai12 said:

I can't say whether all or 99% of africans come here for illegal purposes, but has anyone noticed that the gang included three thai ladies?

We had a neighbour Thai couple who split. They abandoned their house but the lady sometimes came back for some nights and brought her nigerian friend. Every time i saw them they drove a brand new german car, different brands but always a bigger model.

4 hours ago, arithai12 said:

I can't say whether all or 99% of africans come here for illegal purposes, but has anyone noticed that the gang included three thai ladies?

I hate to sound racist but I avoid Africans when out and about. A few come up with a big toothy smile from time to time and say how are you? Opening statement for what? I ask myself. When people ask you to part with your money that should bring your feet back to solid ground ding dong somethings wrong. These Nigerian oil scams have been on the net so long everybody should be aware of what they are yet they still seem to reel in suckers. I guess H.C. Fields was right in his statement. 

2 hours ago, English 1 said:

If Immigration are dumb enough to let any NIGERIANS into Thailand they are to blame.

Biggest Scammers, Thieves and Drug Dealers in the world.;)

Your right. Westerners came into their country and plundered all the oil by paying off politicians in power. Politicians and westerners were the winners the people the losers. I guess the general population finally has figured things out and now want their fair share. Nigeria is one of the richest commodity countries in the world and the population among the poorest now why is that? Just goes to show you the ballot box is a no win situation there and the rest of the world is falling into the same trap fast.

Edited by elgordo38

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Warnings not to believe the sweet talk of well heeled foreigners online were once again issued to all Thais but especially this vulnerable group.

Just the foreigners, eh?

Those pesky non Thais are the source of all evil here it seems.

How sweetness and light would reign if only they weren't there.

Bastards...

Edited by Bluespunk

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Just the foreigners, eh?

Those pesky non Thais are the source of all evil here it seems.

How sweetness and light would reign if only they weren't there.

Bastards...

The scammers don't pretend to be Thai males. The targets, Thai vulnerable females, know I Thai man wouldn't bother with them, romance them, or ever look after them. They chase mid life spinsters and divorcees who would like some romance in their lives and dream of finding a wealthy husband whose generous and look after them.

My sister-in-law was targeted. Contacted on FB, chatted up for 3 weeks, a man from "Manchester, living in London, oil worker, wealthy widow with one son etc etc etc. Then he was so in love with her he would come to Thailand, buy house for her. To show his love he was shipping gold and diamond jewelry, designer clothes and handbags etc and GBP 3,000. Even sent pictures of everything including shipping case and shipping document. Next day she got a call from Thai lady " the shipping company office" in Thailand. They asked for 29k ThB to release and deliver the case. She refused, and about two hours later got a message from the "handsome rich farang widower" who pushed her to get the money. When she said she didn't have that much money he asked how much could she afford then!

She isn't stupid but had a hard life with a worthless drunken gambling husband who put them into bankruptcy and wonders why she divorced him after 20 odd years. Not stupid but vulnerable and so ready to believe what she so desprately hopes for.

Their con was good. Some fundamental mistakes that I could spot. This one seems to be a Ukrainian - Thai scam with some contacts in the UK. But I doubt any Thai people I know would have spotted the same flag raisers I did. Beware.

6 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The scammers don't pretend to be Thai males. The targets, Thai vulnerable females, know I Thai man wouldn't bother with them, romance them, or ever look after them. They chase mid life spinsters and divorcees who would like some romance in their lives and dream of finding a wealthy husband whose generous and look after them.

My sister-in-law was targeted. Contacted on FB, chatted up for 3 weeks, a man from "Manchester, living in London, oil worker, wealthy widow with one son etc etc etc. Then he was so in love with her he would come to Thailand, buy house for her. To show his love he was shipping gold and diamond jewelry, designer clothes and handbags etc and GBP 3,000. Even sent pictures of everything including shipping case and shipping document. Next day she got a call from Thai lady " the shipping company office" in Thailand. They asked for 29k ThB to release and deliver the case. She refused, and about two hours later got a message from the "handsome rich farang widower" who pushed her to get the money. When she said she didn't have that much money he asked how much could she afford then!

She isn't stupid but had a hard life with a worthless drunken gambling husband who put them into bankruptcy and wonders why she divorced him after 20 odd years. Not stupid but vulnerable and so ready to believe what she so desprately hopes for.

Their con was good. Some fundamental mistakes that I could spot. This one seems to be a Ukrainian - Thai scam with some contacts in the UK. But I doubt any Thai people I know would have spotted the same flag raisers I did. Beware.

My point was more that there are plenty of Thai scammers out there as well. But yes the points you raise are valid. 

REQUEST FOR URGENT BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP

FIRST, I MUST SOLICIT YOUR STRICTEST CONFIDENCE IN THIS TRANSACTION. THIS IS BY VIRTUE OF ITS NATURE AS BEING UTTERLY CONFIDENTIAL AND 'TOP SECRET'. I AM SURE AND HAVE CONFIDENCE OF YOUR ABILITY AND RELIABILITY TO PROSECUTE A TRANSACTION OF THIS GREAT MAGNITUDE INVOLVING A PENDING TRANSACTION REQUIRING MAXIMUM CONFIDENCE.

WE ARE TOP OFFICIAL OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT CONTRACT REVIEW PANEL WHO ARE INTERESTED IN IMPORTATION OF GOODS INTO OUR COUNTRY WITH FUNDS WHICH ARE PRESENTLY TRAPPED IN NIGERIA. IN ORDER TO COMMENCE THIS BUSINESS WE SOLICIT YOUR ASSISTANCE TO ENABLE US TRANSFER INTO YOUR ACCOUNT THE SAID TRAPPED FUNDS.

....................................................................................................................................................

Do people still fall for these scams, i thought they would wise up by now.

9 hours ago, English 1 said:

If Immigration are dumb enough to let any NIGERIANS into Thailand they are to blame.

Biggest Scammers, Thieves and Drug Dealers in the world.;)

Exactly, can you find only 1 reason to let this scum in , in Thailand??

9 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Black Eagle gang. Isn't that racist? Five Africans. If they were Chinese would they be called the Yellow Eagle gang?

Who cares about who is racist or not..only the PC do gooders.,

I  really do  not care if the overrepresented  group of bad guys are in jail because they do more crime....tough luck guys...don't do the crime etc  

On Thursday, August 04, 2016 at 3:19 AM, arithai12 said:

I noticed it by reading the 2nd sentence in the report instead of relying on just looking at the photo, like most tv experts