Clint Eastwood doesn't endorse Trump, but praises him as anti-PC 

webfact

Eastwood doesn't endorse Trump, but praises him as anti-PC 

NEW YORK (AP) — Clint Eastwood has stopped short of endorsing Donald Trump, but in an interview in Esquire magazine he praised the Republican presidential candidate for being "on to something."

In the interview posted online Wednesday, the actor-director hailed Trump as a foe of political correctness and lamented what he called "the kiss-ass generation."

"Everybody's walking on eggshells," said Eastwood, 86. "We see people accusing people of being racist and all kinds of stuff. When I grew up, those things weren't called racist."

Eastwood, who spoke at the 2012 Republican convention — "that silly thing ... talking to the chair" — urged people to "get over it."

"What Trump is onto is he's just saying what's on his mind. And sometimes it's not so good. And sometimes it's . I mean, I can understand where he's coming from, but I don't always agree with it," he said.

Eastwood said he wasn't endorsing anyone for president. But asked to choose between Trump and Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton he said, "I'd have to go for Trump . you know, 'cause she's declared that she's gonna follow in Obama's footsteps. There's been just too much funny business on both sides of the aisle."

Eastwood's film "Sully" — about Captain Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger, the airline pilot who became a national hero when he safely landed a US Airways plane on the Hudson River off Manhattan in 2009 — opens in September.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-08-04

4 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

And I agree with him.

Absolutely agree with Clint Eastwood on the state of these special snowflakes - the SJW's.   

His "Empty Chair" also resonated with Barry which was another good call. :)

Lots of comments saying Eastwood makes good comments, let's remember that all of these comments have bias.

I find some of Eastwood's earlier comments to be quite strange (and in saying that I too have bias).

I just hope folks separate their adulation for celebrities and adult analysis of what the celebrity says. Because they are good actors (opinion of course) doesn't mean they have balanced views on anything or that they are upstanding pillars of society.

1 hour ago, happy Joe said:

Incredible as Americans need an old actor like mentor.

In my country some have tried.

But they were told to shut up. 

The far left wants him to shut up but Clint says what Clint wants to say irregardless of the snow flakes. We need more people like Clint to stand up for the truth.

2 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Who has called for Clint Eastwood to be silenced?

Nobody really...but some will tell you "they" (probably muslims, communists, liberals, Clinton,...) want him silenced because he is a threat for the democrats.

But the truth is 99.99% of the people do not give sh$t about what he thinks.

Hard to argue with what he is saying. Political correctness is boring, weak, churlish, inane, stupid, silly, pandering, and just not something I have time for. So, I get what he is saying about it. If only Trump could control his own mouth, he would be doing far better than he is currently doing. He reminds me alot of a local, little man, with alot of power, who has zero control of his own mouth. Why don't either of them have top notch PR people, who tell them when to shut their faces? 

I have great admiration for Eastwood. He is an outstanding actor, and is an incredibly talented filmmaker. I do not agree with alot of his politics, but I respect his comments. 

Edited by spidermike007

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Hard to argue with what he is saying. Political correctness is boring, weak, churlish, inane, stupid, silly, pandering, and just not something I have time for. So, I get what he is saying about it. If only Trump could control his own mouth, he would be doing far better than he is currently doing. He reminds me alot of a local, little man, with alot of power, who has zero control of his own mouth. Why don't either of them have top notch PR people, who tell them when to shut their faces? 

I have great admiration for Eastwood. He is an outstanding actor, and is an incredibly talented filmmaker. I do not agree with alot of his politics, but I respect his comments. 

Yea, I would love to be able to call a golliwog a golliwog without having to explain that it is a cute little black doll.

3 minutes ago, car720 said:

Yea, I would love to be able to call a golliwog a golliwog without having to explain that it is a cute little black doll.

everyone says how much they hate political correctness until people stop being politically correct and everyone starts getting upset about silly little things. i bet i am not even allowed to post this picture here.

poney.jpg

3 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Clint is  showing his age on this time for the big D test. 

Clint appears to still have all of his facilities and is so senior that the Hollywood liberals can't black ball him as they are doing with other Conservative actors.;)

2 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Clint appears to still have all of his facilities and is so senior that the Hollywood liberals can't black ball him as they are doing with other Conservative actors.;)

Really? Which other conservative actors have been blackballed?

1 minute ago, Chicog said:

Really? Which other conservative actors have been blackballed?

Don't you really mean, "there are conservative actors or entertainers?" Apart from Clint, and a handful of impressive talents like Chuck Norris :P there aren't any conservative actors or comedians to speak of. Not sure what that means, I suppose it means a lack of creativity or something.

12 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Absolutely agree with Clint Eastwood on the state of these special snowflakes - the SJW's.   

Resonated with Barry? Anybody? 

The empty chair incident, I remember as a disaster. He was striving for what passes for humor for Republicans. (I wanted to put a laughing emoji here but I thought it would be piling on)

Uncle Clint is off his medication...again. 

12 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

The empty chair incident, I remember as a disaster. He was striving for what passes for humor for Republicans. (I wanted to put a laughing emoji here but I thought it would be piling on)

2 hours ago, Pinot said:

The empty chair bit wasn't appreciated by either side.  Liberal reporters covering the convention didn't get it at all and were freaking out, for some reason.  The Repubs turned to each other and said "who's idea was this?"  The answer to that was Mitt himself, and his team was offstage wringing their hands through the whole ordeal.  The cherry on the sundae was the following day the headlines were about Clint, not Mitt's acceptance of the nomination. 

I enjoyed it, and I am definitely not a Republican, but it was good satire.  Bill Maher, no conservative he, also was impressed: "20 minutes with just an empty chair!"

We don't  get much in the way of political satire from the right, and when we do it's mostly the political shot without the comedy aspect.  I realized I had an appreciation for this stuff while reading Al Capp's "Li'l Abner" comic strip in the 1960s, and he was a staunch right-winger.

Clint started getting hit by the liberals back in the 1970s when a certain movie reviewer wrote an article titled "Dirty Harry is a Fascist" and that pretty much has been set in cement since.  He took a lot of crap from his own side for "Million Dollar Baby," he said "can't we just agree to disagree?"  As a jazz fan myself, I can't believe someone who gets Charlie Parker and John Coltrane can be all that narrow-minded. 

I used to have far-lefty girlfriend who would get pissed off when I defended Clint.  I enjoyed that.  A lot of political die-hards can't see beyond their own bs.  That's what makes them die-hards. 

On 8/4/2016 at 9:39 AM, Ulysses G. said:

Clint Eastwood is highly respected by most Americans. Only the far left want him silenced.

Yes, and OJ had a lot of respect too.

Why is it that Americans are so easily fooled by actors and sports heroes and now a reality TV con man???

They were all over Arnold and voted him in to California but now that Cali has a democratic government they have eliminated the debt and actually have the the 6th largest economy in the world!!!

Proof that the democratic model of government works when not blocked by the unpatriotic republicans that only follow what the banks want them to do. 

The facts are there but not many are looking at them.