Spouse visa versus working visa/work permit

Hi, I should greatly appreciate advice on the relative merits and demerits of a Thai visa as the spouse of a Thai national, versus a working visa and work permit issued in conjunction with a Thai company.  With many thanks in advance and my very best regards

The advantage of having an extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai verses one based upon working is that your extension does not end when your job ends.

Applying for a work permit if married to a Thai only requires the company to have 1 million baht of registered capital verses 2 million.

• Like 2

a marriage visa is far cheaper and easier to get that trying to get a work permit and associated visa to stay. they marriage visa is generally easier to get in your own country as well. i get my family visa or O visa each year in nz and it is very simple and inexpensive. for the last 8 years i have had a work permit and B visa, it was just getting harder and harder to maintain every year.

49 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

a marriage visa is far cheaper and easier to get that trying to get a work permit and associated visa to stay. they marriage visa is generally easier to get in your own country as well. i get my family visa or O visa each year in nz and it is very simple and inexpensive. for the last 8 years i have had a work permit and B visa, it was just getting harder and harder to maintain every year.

All visas and extensions of stay cost the same, regardless of which criteria they are issued for.

Just now, Kennithero said:

So, it sounds like the optimum route is a spouse visa, followed by a work permit.

Can I go directly to a one-year spouse visa?

I understand with a working visa I would have to start with a three month one?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You will need to get a single entry non-o visa to apply for the extension of stay. You can easily get one at most nearby embassies and consulates. Or you could do a conversion to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration in Bangkok,

57 minutes ago, Kennithero said:

What documents would I need for both of these routes? Do I need to take my wife? May I convert my Multi-Entry Tourist Visa? It is already extended beyond its original expiry

Your wife would not need to be with you to apply for a single entry non-o visa. Vientiane or Savannakhet Laos would be the best places to get it. You would need your marriage certificate plus a copy, signed copies of your wife house book registry  and ID card.

You will need to have at least 15 day left on your 60 day toursist visa entry or the extension of it to apply for a change of visa status at Bangkok immigration to get the non immigrant visa, It will require two trips to the office 15 days apart to get the visa/entry stamps. Your wife will need to with your for the first trip to do the application. You will need to show 400k bank on the date of application or proof of 40k baht income.

The required documents are the same as needed to apply for the one year extension.

You need a completed TM86 form with a 4 X 6 cm photo attached.

The the following is a general list of required documents to apply for an extension. The difference will be the form number and the money does not need to be in the bank for 2 months. You will also need a copy of the affirmation of permit to marry that you used to register your marriage.

Unless you are applying at Bangkok you will need 2 sets of copies attached to 2 TM7 application.forms.

Proof of 400k baht in the bank for 2 months by way of a letter from your bank and your bank book.or 40k baht income.proven by a income letter from your embassy.

Copies of your passport photo page and every page that has any stamp or visa for Thailand on it. Copy of TM6 departure card.

Marriage certificate and a updated Kor Ror 2 marriage registry (Kor Ror 22 for foreign marriages)

Copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

Photos of you and your wife in and around the house. One must show you both with the house number shown in it. The number of photos needed varies by office.

Map to your residence from the nearest main road or street.

Proof of residence if not living where your wife's house book is for.

Some offices may want witnesses when you apply.

Can I actually get married on an extended tourist visa first?

Maybe easier/cheaper to get Non-O at Royal Thai Embassy Kuala Lumpur or Consulate Penang.

So, no original tabien baan?

Does the THB ฿400,000 have to be in Thai baht in a Thai bank? When does it have to have been there for two months—initial single entry, change of status or 12 month extension? Can I get an income letter from the UK Embassy if I am self-employed?

There is no visible house number. We live in rented accommodation.

Is any of this needed if I go down the working visa route?

9 minutes ago, Kennithero said:

Maybe easier/cheaper to get Non-O at Royal Thai Embassy Kuala Lumpur or Consulate Penang.

Does the THB ฿400,000 have to be in Thai baht in a Thai bank? When does it have to have been there for two months—initial single entry, change of status or 12 month extension? Can I get an income letter from the UK Embassy if I am self-employed?

If you're asking about an extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai, yes, either you need at least Baht 400,000 in a Thai bank in baht for at least two months before you apply for the extension or a letter/affidavit from your embassy confirming to have an income of at least Baht 40,000 a month. Not sure if the British embassy would issue such an affidavit in your case. Best to ask them.

"Is any of this needed if I go down the working visa route?"

There is no working visa. The visa (or extension of stay) and the work permit are separate issues. 

50 minutes ago, Kennithero said:

You can get married with any kind of visa, a visa exempt entry or extension.

You would have to show 400k baht in the bank to get a single entry non-o in Kuala Lumpur and in Penang 200k baht. Vientiane and Savannakhet ask for no financial proof. You could get a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet.

Just a copy of her tambien ban registry is needed.

The 400k baht has to be a Thai bank for the visa application at immigration and then it will need to be in the bank for 2 months to apply for the extension.

You would stand in from of the door to show the room number it living in an apartment.

There is no working visa. It would be a non-b visa and it has a entirely different list of required documents including proof of a work permit application being done.

Is it possible to start with a 90-day Non-Immigrant B Visa (as applying for a work permit), then extend this to a 12-month Non-Immigrant O visa on the basis of marriage?

Vice-versa, may I begin with a three-month Non-Immigrant O visa from marriage, then use this to apply for a work permit and then a 12-month Non-Immigrant B visa?

Do I need [two month] proof of funds for three- or 12-month Non-Immigrant B visas?

Must I make 90-day reports with a 12-month Non-Immigrant O or B visa? Do I have to leave Thailand?

May I leave Thailand, with [multi-entry] re-entry permits?

Can three- or 12-month Non-Immigrant O or B visas be extended for 30 days?

21 minutes ago, Kennithero said:

Is it possible to start with a 90-day Non-Immigrant B Visa (as applying for a work permit), then extend this to a 12-month Non-Immigrant O visa on the basis of marriage?
Vice-versa, may I begin with a three-month Non-Immigrant O visa from marriage, then use this to apply for a work permit and then a 12-month Non-Immigrant B visa?
Do I need [two month] proof of funds for three- or 12-month Non-Immigrant B visas?
Must I make 90-day reports with a 12-month Non-Immigrant O or B visa? Do I have to leave Thailand?
May I leave Thailand, with [multi-entry] re-entry permits?
Can three- or 12-month Non-Immigrant O or B visas be extended for 30 days?

You could extend the 90 day entry from a non-b visa for one year based upon marriage. Extensions are not visas. You could also extend a non-o visa entry based upon working.

No financial proof is needed to apply for a non-b visa.

You need proof you are working and earning a minimum salary (50k baht for most western nationalities) dependent upon your nationality to apply for a one year extension based upon working.

If you get a one year extension you will need to do 90 day reports. If you get a multiple entry non-o or non-b visa you have to leave the country every 90 days.

If you get an extension of stay you will need to get a either a single or multiple re-entry permit if you want to travel.

If you married to a Thai you can extend any type of entry for 60 days to visit your wife. If not married there is no extension possible for a non a immigrant visa entry other than one year.

Is it possible to get either extensions or new visas, i.e. start with a 90-day single-entry Non-O or B, then either: (i) Extend in-country for 12 months; or (ii) Extend for 60 days if married to a Thai national, then exit and obtain a new, 12-month, multi-entry Non-O/B?

If 12-month extension, then 90-day reports. Does one just report to any domestic Immigration office at least every three months?

Are multiple re-entry permits available at any domestic Immigration?

If new 12-month, multi-entry, then overseas visa runs each 90 days. Is each stamp, including the last, then extendable for 60 days if married to Thai? Can one do a visa run on, say, Day #364, so total 12+2=14 months?

If married to Thai, can tourist visas (single or multiple entry) and 30-day visa waivers all be extended by 60 days each?

11 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

I never had an issue getting my B visa and not expensive just about the same as an "O" visa.  I usually get mine in the USA when I go home for the holidays costs me $200 USD for a 1 year multi-entry. I do have to provide allot of documents from our company but my staff pulls all of that together, never had an issue. 

12 hours ago, ericthai said:

I never had an issue getting my B visa and not expensive just about the same as an "O" visa.  I usually get mine in the USA when I go home for the holidays costs me $200 USD for a 1 year multi-entry. I do have to provide allot of documents from our company but my staff pulls all of that together, never had an issue. 

yes. getting my non B was easier in australia. the base price is the same but in thailand i would pay my accountant to get it as the chonburi labor office can be tricky.  non O was very simple in nz last year with very little paperwork required. have not done that on in thailand yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, muzmurray said:

3100 Baht, not really a lot of money ?

(oops, just seen the above post)

it is very cheap. it is the taxes and social on 4 thai staff, yearly accounting, VAT tax, sallary tax, company tax and so on that add up. not to mention renting the premises that needs to be staffed and have the utilities paid for. i estimate the work permit cost are around 150 000thb/year plus rent of the premises.

plus police fees. had a few problems before i started paying those.

Edited by williamgeorgeallen
forgot the BIB

On 8/5/2016 at 11:01 PM, williamgeorgeallen said:

it is very cheap. it is the taxes and social on 4 thai staff, yearly accounting, VAT tax, sallary tax, company tax and so on that add up. not to mention renting the premises that needs to be staffed and have the utilities paid for. i estimate the work permit cost are around 150 000thb/year plus rent of the premises.

plus police fees. had a few problems before i started paying those.

I dont include the cost of employees, Tax, SS etc as associated with the cost of a WP because those are the standard costs of having a business.  I assume then you are using the business just to get a visa?? If so then yes it becomes costly.  i wish you luck with things!!

9 hours ago, ericthai said:

I dont include the cost of employees, Tax, SS etc as associated with the cost of a WP because those are the standard costs of having a business.  I assume then you are using the business just to get a visa?? If so then yes it becomes costly.  i wish you luck with things!!

ha. no. works out far cheaper to get the elite visa at only 100 000thb per year. it is basically impossible to use a work permit to stay in thailand now as they visit your business several times a year to inspect it is a real business. i had 3 lots of people visiting this year when i renewed my managers work permit. they all came taking photos despite already having sent in several photos with the application. i use a non O visa based on my kids which i think is almost as good as the retirement visa. got 8 more years till i can get that one and i will probably be back in nz by then schooling the kids. disappointing thailand cant lower the retirement visa age to who ever can prove they have the funds to retire.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2016 at 9:52 PM, williamgeorgeallen said:

ha. no. works out far cheaper to get the elite visa at only 100 000thb per year. it is basically impossible to use a work permit to stay in thailand now as they visit your business several times a year to inspect it is a real business. i had 3 lots of people visiting this year when i renewed my managers work permit. they all came taking photos despite already having sent in several photos with the application. i use a non O visa based on my kids which i think is almost as good as the retirement visa. got 8 more years till i can get that one and i will probably be back in nz by then schooling the kids. disappointing thailand cant lower the retirement visa age to who ever can prove they have the funds to retire.

I know allot of people in the same boat as you. Yes, it is too bad Thailand dont change the retirement qualifications.  I've been lucky that I have my company, we too have had visits but not many maybe because out factory is out in the middle of nowhere.  I wish you all the best!! 

• Like 1