Any Of The Following Of Interest?

The reaction to Brian Ferry when we asked was mixed and as expected the usual detractors. Let us worry about the economics - we just need to establish who is of interest.

Brian Ferry is on hold at the moment.

How about any of the following?

Eric Burdon

The Proclaimers

Ian MacNabb

Placebo (DJ Set only)

Damien Rice

David Venn

The Officers

Average White Band

Supergrass

Ian Brown (ex Stone Roses)

Alpine Stars

My vote would go to Supergrass. Have to admit that I don't know most of the other ones.

I like Damien Rice as well, but that's not really festival music if you ask me.

Fair comment.

Maybe we could bring Damien Rice out earlier as a one off.

Would that work for you?

Ok look, instead of just going to an agent and being told the ones they have on their books, why don't you try finding people who are touring this way and may fancy a few days break.

You go to an agent you will pay $, u need to deal direct with management.

Book them 6 months in advance, promotion you need minimum 3 months or it just aint worth it, and if you can't get discount, don't book. Book bands that don't have too much equipment, or equipment u can source locally. And definatley don't book bands with an army of musicians.

It'll cost too much, you will find it too hard to get the $ back, and the amount you need to charge will put people off.

Edited by womble

My personal opinion as follows

Eric Burdon- Ancient rocker probably needs a zimmer frame to get around I would give him a wide birth,

The Proclaimers- You erither love them or hate them, I LOVE EM

Ian MacNabb - ??????????????????????????

Placebo (DJ Set only) - I would like to see Placebo even if it were a DJ set , but I would much rather see Groove Armada play a DJ set.

Damien Rice ?????????????????????????

David Venn ??????????????????????????

The Officers ????????????????????????

Average White Band - Another band that are very long in the tooth by now, if I was passing I would call in to watch them, and hoped they played "pick up the pieces".

Supergrass - 10 out 10 I would love to see supergrass play

Ian Brown (ex Stone Roses) - As above but 11 out of 10

Alpine Stars ????????????????????????????????????????

Hats of to you guys for tryinbg to get some decent acts on samui

MM

Edited by mosquitoman

The same as everyone else. Supergrass and Ian Brown . Would be impressed if you could get them. Would they come half way round the world to do a pub gig?

I am 55 and would go. :o:D

I guess it doesn't matter who you get as long as you dont keep it a secret (like the Last Music Festival you had), till the Last Minute....

Thank you all for your responses which are useful in trying to assess who would be popular here. In reply to some of the comments:

The first thing we do is look at who is in the region as it is obvious that the costs will be less. That is why Eric Burdon is on the list because he will be in the region in the Spring - many of the others at different times. He may be an ageing rocker but just completed a very successful tour and is in demand all over the world. He probably will not appeal to anyone under 50, but I suspect there will be a good number of 50 plus who remember him and would come and see him. It is a balance between providing acts that appeal to the younger set and acts for the older set. We know we cannot please everybody and we know there are some people we will never please.

We are aware of the criticism about the lack of publicity but this years small scale Festival was a relatively last minute thing anyway. Next year is being planned now hence this thread to get early feed back on possibilities and with a view to start marketing much earlier. We know we do not always get it right but at least we are trying to do something.

We are also looking at holding next years Festival in high season - August.

Please keep the comments on the bands coming as it all helps us to go in the right direction.

We are also looking at holding next years Festival in high season - August.

Please keep the comments on the bands coming as it all helps us to go in the right direction.

August is high season for Italians. End Jan would be better, much better. More people and better weather.

Good way of doing festivals is three days. Dance day for younger crowd, rock day for rockers and maybe blues day as thats your thing. Each day will appeal to different groups and if you get the artists right there will be some crossover keeping those who came for a specific day going to the next day.

Edited by womble

And make sure it coincides with but does not run on the same day as the FMP. Get a big enough name and you can get the 30,000 odd thousand or so backpackers from KP over for it :o

End of Jan, begin of Feb is the best time of year, I agree with Womble here.

Good way of doing festivals is three days. Dance day for younger crowd, rock day for rockers and maybe blues day as thats your thing. Each day will appeal to different groups and if you get the artists right there will be some crossover keeping those who came for a specific day going to the next day.

Very Good Idea

MM

And make sure it coincides with but does not run on the same day as the FMP. Get a big enough name and you can get the 30,000 odd thousand or so backpackers from KP over for it :o

End of Jan, begin of Feb is the best time of year, I agree with Womble here.

i went in feb 2 years ago and this went in august.

both were great, how ever as far as tourists go ive noticed it depends when western coutries have their holidays.

ie: in august there were a lot of euporeans (spainish, italians, germans, etc), but in fed there was a lot of new zealanders, aussies and south africans. im australian btw.

end of the day, sumui is an excellent holiday destination anytime of the year. i would never hesitate to go back.

Gotta say Ian Brown would be amazing, he would do his solo stuff and loads of the old Stone Roses stuff.

How cool would it be to have him singing I Wanna Be Adored live in Samui.

Oh Yeah!!!

Tell you something aswell, he would be a lot cheaper than some of the other acts and better.

His music also appeals to loads of people young and old, there aint many that don't like stone Roses.

Imagine........

Stone Roses, Primal Scream and Happy Mondays, that would be off da hook!

I really think the three day option with different styles each day is worth some thought, it's a tried and tested formula, they use it at loads of festivals all over the world. I really think a week is so much work, and to do it properly the production costs a fortune.

Last time at lake view the production was spot on, world class infact, but you really don't need that much, it's overkill, huge expense for 7 days.

Trouble is the sponsors, they'll want you to do as many days as possible a week or more so they can get rid of as much stock as possble. To be honest though you don't have to listen to them unless they are giving proper $, which won't happen. They will not hand over $ to someone just like that, it takes months of negotiation and then they only wanna give u stock.

3 days is perfect, Fri/Sat/Sun. One headliner for each night, but they gotta have mass appeal, that doesn't mean they have to be cheesy though.

Morcheeba would be good one. And i'll tell you someone else who would be amazing and not that expensive (incomparison to other names you've mentioned) Roy Ayers................... He's one of those artists that appeals to the older crowd and the youngsters too. Just as happy at Montreal Jazz Festival as he is at Glastonbury.

You should do this party end Jan, Feb, maybe 3/4 days before or after full moon. That means start planning now for 2008. That means by summer you should have all your acts sorted and ready for advertising. Then you got a full six months to promote. If you don't promote properly you may aswell not bother. Loads of people mess up at the promotion stage, and it's crucial, poor promotion = poor turnout, simple as that. Time is the single most important factor here, you get it into peoples heads as early as possible and keep reminding them. As the time gets closer people will start to talk about it, and there comes the best possible form of advertising, word of mouth. You can't beat it.

Here's a clip of Roy Ayers at his best.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJR6erZxsYY...ted&search=

Imagine having Roy Ayers live one day, then the next day for the younger crowd performing again with Guru. Two amazing shows and one hel_l of a lot cheaper than booking huge rock bands. Something like that would stand a chance of paying for itself

Edited by womble

Eric Clapton will be performing in Bangkok in January!

Can't be too much trouble for him to pop over to Koh Samui to play some tunes. It wil be packed.

Done deal :o

Never say never, I've been amazed at the top names that will put on a small gig at clubs their at for a visit, usually they'll borrow an axe and play with the house band, WITHOUT pay. But this isn't something they advertise or even know will happen.

Looking back to 68, The Stones played a free gig at Altamont, with Jefferson Airplane, The Dead, etc. and look what became of that, since it was advertised, people came all the way from Europe to California!

Best bet is to get the older Black Blues musicians like Lazy Larry, etc and have them play with the local bands. John Mayall would be a good draw for the older and those that know he's the Godfather of "english" blues, and have had so many "stars" to mention in his band The Bluesbreakers, like Clapton.

Just my 2 Bahts for what its worth.

I see,IMHO, Samui as a blues Island, KP has the younger crowd every full moon, SO WHY NOT have a Samui Blues Festival every year at late Jan Or Feb. I for one would believe this is the way to go. Pattaya can have the POP groups sounds and heavy Metal bands! Reason is simple, blues lovers don't get crazy (IMHO) and there's allot of blues lovers that on holiday or not would pay to see and hear good bands!

Edited by SamuiJens