Can I bring a jar of home made jam into Thailand ?

From my observations of how the custom's guys and gals are working, you bring a pink elephant in your luggage and they don't care, they only have eyes for smugglers or high value stuff, drugs and alike....

On my first trip to Australia, I bought snacks in bangkok for plane ride.  When i went through customs I got pulled over

for a random check. I found a 10 baht bag of Lays B-Bq chips. The made a really big deal out of it. Calling over a superviser

to talk to me. At first I thought it was a joke , when the customs guy found the bag. It was right on top, so not a lot of private eye work needed. The guy picks up the bag and says " What is this " ? I started laughing at first. i stop quickly when he said I could be fine a few hundred dollars. That was 2007. But I never had a problem coming into BKK.

Can I bring a jar of home made jam into Thailand ?

Yes you can even bring the jumper that you have been knitting......if you hurry & get it finished........your girl is going to be frilled ....so much better than Gold..........:coffee1:

Edited by oxo1947

Arrived. Back last week from Canada had over 80 kg  jelly beans, sweets and some pine trees  all our bags were scanned and not a problem. I would just follow custom"s signs and rules and never bring in more then your allowance of alcohol, cigs,. Currency or goods totally the value on the arrivals signs or your could it would be heavy fined and treated like a smuggler. 

9 hours ago, MissAndry said:

Not in the hand baggage, but OK in the checked luggage.

Well if we like stating the obvious, then let me point out that having it in your hand luggage has nothing to do with the Thai customs. If, doubtfully, you managed to leave the departure airport with the jam in your hand baggage, there would be absolutely no problem once you disembark in Thailand.

This is the sort of question that keeps me up at night.

That and what would the world look like to me if I could think for myself, or research things of this immense difficulty and importance.

I'm not being sarcastic.

Really!

Laws could change while you are already mid-flight.  

Possible penalty:  10 years in the Bangkok Hilton and/or 100,000 baht fine.

Seriously though, just add jar to. your checkin bag.  Once I stuffed 1/2 of my 29" bag with fresh grapes from California.  Oh yea, try not to sweat too much when approaching the customs counter.

I thought you couldn't bring liquids over a certain size on the plane. I remember my parents would fly home from the Bahamas and bring a case of rum with them every time. It it still possible to go to the airport and bring liquids or canned goods and get on an airplane? 

2 minutes ago, Alive said:

I thought you couldn't bring liquids over a certain size on the plane. I remember my parents would fly home from the Bahamas and bring a case of rum with them every time. It it still possible to go to the airport and bring liquids or canned goods and get on an airplane? 

Checked luggage Yes

Duty free Yes

Hand luggage 100ml max.

Edited by MissAndry

I'm afraid of the bottle breaking or the people that check the bags prior to going on the plane opening it in the backroom to take it out when it's checked in. And of course I am worried that some checker will put it through the machine and say take it out and take it. Then that jerk will take a nice bottle of liquor home. Sorry just paranoia.

16 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

Checked luggage Yes

Duty free Yes

Hand luggage 100ml max.

be a waste of all your efforts, if individual bottled jams have to be in a less than 100ml jar.

335 gram, 500 gram are the smallest sized jam that I'd ever wish to have, or bother making.

And, if it is homemade jam!!  pity if upon Arrival you cop an Customs official who demands the jar (or be really cruel - all jars)  be opened

- as your clock is now ticking on what time is left before it goes off :bah:

hehe.  Back in 2004 on my first visit to Thailand, in my carry on bag, I brought two quart jars of pickled eggs in liquid, two smaller jars of pickled onions and carrots, and a big bottle of catsup, a special brand a fellow wanted.  can't even imagine that today or if any of those glass jars had broken!  Quite a stink

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/08/2016 at 3:00 AM, ezzra said:

From my observations of how the custom's guys and gals are working, you bring a pink elephant in your luggage and they don't care, they only have eyes for smugglers or high value stuff, drugs and alike....

I got stopped early last year. I was so surprised at seeing someone after a quarter of a century I actually said "who me"  !!

Hand luggage through scanner (Cigs check I guess) and on my way.

Out of interest on recent Qatar trip had a guy come up to us after customs and us already in Arrivals area. Scrawny little git who proceeded to ask questions. I politely asked questions who he was with open palms and he said customs. Fine I said show ID etc and he skulked away. Scamming bastard

Edited by Chivas