NRSA says acceptance of constitution indicates public desire for reform

webfact

NRSA says acceptance of constitution indicates public desire for reform

PNPOL590808001004401.jpg.3cb96aa77b08e17

BANGKOK, 8 August 2016 (NNT) – The head of the National Reform Steering Assembly (NRSA) has thanked the public for expressing approval toward the draft constitution and the second question in the referendum, stating the vote result indicates the country’s desire for reform and promising the assembly will not let the people down. 

At the first meeting of the NRSA following the public referendum on the draft constitution, the chairman of the assembly reported the results of the vote and gave his view that outcome is indicative of the public’s desire to see reform as a major addition the latest draft was mechanisms for reform. 

The charter mandates that a 5 year reform strategy is to go into effect once it becomes the Kingdom’s highest law. The NRSA head bid all members of the assembly work to their utmost while they await the constitution to be officially put into effect, giving his own promise to the nation that the NRSA will not let its people down. 

Members of the assembly suggested it use its final 6 months to compile a priority list of reforms to ensure the nation’s goals are clear. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-08-08

I am afraid the "reform" they are expressing is far different than the reform being discussed here. I think the Thai people will be in for a wake up call when they see how the "elections" will unfold. The names will change but the intent will stay intact. 

Edited by elgordo38

People the world over are becoming tired of self serving get rich quick politicians who want to rule not serve them. Thai people are no different. Sure each country has its own unique characteristics but the spread of social media and increased availability of information means people can't be fooled so easily as before; especially younger generations who don't necessarily have the class / social hang ups of their parents.

Whether they will get the reforms they want - accountability, transparency, and a serving the public attitude remains to be seen.

15 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

People the world over are becoming tired of self serving get rich quick politicians who want to rule not serve them. Thai people are no different. Sure each country has its own unique characteristics but the spread of social media and increased availability of information means people can't be fooled so easily as before; especially younger generations who don't necessarily have the class / social hang ups of their parents.

Whether they will get the reforms they want - accountability, transparency, and a serving the public attitude remains to be seen.

I wonder if the people understand irony ?

Yes, I suppose everyone and his dog will be looking for press release time not to say the referendum result confirms tht the Thai people love them.

Bless 'em.

This lot and the tourism ministry are the first two puppies out of the trap. The big dogs will probably wait a few days before becoming completely insufferable and sanctimonious. I can hardlly wait for this week's homily.

Winnie

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

oh the irony... 

39 minutes ago, Inyourendo said:

What a sad bunch these people are ....ya get what ya deserve ....can't wait to watch the implosion

Agree.

It's a sort of a problem though, created or at least made possible by the draft constitution. The Constitution Court will be given extra powers under the new constitution, which were hitherto the prerogative of other people. This was a contingency plan made necessary because the amaat do not trust what might happen if they don't act to protect their own interests.

This makes it effectively impossible for a government of the wrong colour to manage the country without interference (also from the appointed senate), and effectively impossible to change the constitution, though the CC didn't actually need those powers to make their infamous judgements against the YL government, including passing comments about high speed trains (Thailand doesn't need high-speed trains, though they now have no such concerns... odd that) which were simply none of it's business. The junta is building on it to make that and more precisely their business.

What this does in effect is to raise the ante. A government of the wrong colour will not be able to manage the country, and it won't be able to change the constitution (even subject to plebiscite) to enable it to do so. The only way to turf the interlopers out will be by way of an armed uprising and insurrection, which the junta government will ironically call sedition and treason (please wait for a moment while I throw up).

I think Thailand is effectively finished, and this draft constitution is a very large plank in the gallows which will hang them all. All we have to do is to watch them self-destruct. Foreign governments could assist and prevent this but you know how it goes, Thais already know it all, they don't need any advice from non-Thais. The economy will be first, and that's happening right now, when the ST starts to be implemented the whole clown show will go down the toilet. Personally, I'm looking forward with considerable schadenfreude to watching them get their come-uppance because nobody is going to come riding out of the sunset to rescue them thanks to their past arrogances, deceits and dishonesties. Except China perhaps and they'll strip the country bare - like a swarm of locusts, so good luck asking for help from them.

Oddly, for those of us (and there are quite a lot) who believe that Thailand has to go through this horrible but necessary process, what appeared to be a defeat - the passing of the draft constitution, will probably turn out to be a sine-qua-non; an essential ingredient of the catastrophe pie.

As for the NRSA and other acronymic but otherwise pointless committees, all they're in place to do is create the impression that things will change. But of course they won't, the privileged classes who actually run the show (the CP's and their ilk) simply won't allow it. And to count their money of course...

The fat lady is singing as we speak.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The head of the National Reform Steering Assembly (NRSA) has thanked the public for expressing approval toward the draft constitution

First, the "public" is composed of Thai peoples of all ages, some of whom are not eligible to vote for numerous reasons (under 18, monks, felons, imprisoned or detained, infirm, etc.).

Second, the Thai electorate is composed of only qualified voters with whom no majority voted Yes for the charter.

Third, less than 30% of total qualified voters cast Yes for the charter as a minority of the Thai public, failing to match the support cast for the 2007 Constitution.

But the unelected NRSA can toast its own perpetuation for at least the next five years as it continues to decide  the socio-political fate of an entire nation with the permission of a minority. Prayut's roadmap is the new utopia.

I have absolutely no doubt there is a public desire for reform. I also believe there is no desire from the ruling military/elite for reform as they greatly prefer to regress. That is the main aim of this charter and the junta that produced it.

10 hours ago, Emster23 said:

If you are dying of thirst, you will drink muddy water.

Sadly I think that  is what it came down to.  Most of the Thai people figured out that if they didn't vote yes on the referendum this time around then the good General would just stay in power and keep regurgitating the same thing again and again until he finally got a yes vote.  I am sure most of those who voted yes just did it in the spirit of expediency,  they just threw up their arms, shook their heads and  said mai pen rai :(  It is sad because they have no idea the Pandora's box they just opened up :whistling:

8 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

yes, people all over the world have so much in common with Thailand which is ruled not by get rich quick politicians but by the military generals who rose to the top of the country's most corrupt organization just so that when the occasion arose (as it does every seven years) they could selflessly and humbly serve the Thai people.

I'm sure that it's just like the NRSA says, ... of course it is... 

But there is no doubt that you are correct regarding social media. That is why the selfless and humble generals have people arrested for posting pictures of red bowls... 

When I look at the Thai system I am often reminded of a famous psychology experiment where someone indirectly turns up the electric current on the instruction of an " important" person.

If the experiment had of been real endless people would have been electrocuted, thankfully there was no current just machinery with a dial. However in Thailand's case ..... :whistling:

The whole point of the experiment being people often blindly follow instructions without using their judgement / take instructions from "knowledgeable" people over their own logic.

Of course with no logic and not much knowledge the whole thing would go haywire ! Implode poooof !!!

20 hours ago, yellowboat said:

The Thai people did not have much of a choice either way.  Sad, Thailand use to be such good fun.

You mean they couldn't vote NO if they disagreed with the new constitution!! 

Funny that, as I thought that was one of the choices on both questions.

I am delighted that they accepted the (question 2) appointed senate - that should really put the politicians noses out of joint as they will be monitored for both performance and what they get up to.

On 8/8/2016 at 2:40 PM, taichiplanet said:

so the majority vote is fine when it is what you want, but not okay a few years back for another vote that you didn't like. :rolleyes:

I think it was fine then too. Don't remember anyone refusing to accept it. 

It was unfortunate that PTP turned out the way they did, with the lies, secrecy, refusals to adhere to the law, open contempt of the law, open handing of government to an autocratic criminal dictator and constant cabinet re-shuffling to give the faithful a turn at the trough. The attempted whitewash Amnesty bring back the boss free and untouchable bill coupled with the attempted push through of a loan of 2.2 trillion baht, which PTP wanted to take "off budget and outside parliamentary scrutiny" was too much. Yingluck dissolved parliament in the wake of mass protests and was then found guilty of an abuse of power. The rest, as they say, is history. 

15 hours ago, heybruce said:

Yes it must.  It also must include the civil service and judiciary.  However it won't.

The whole justice system needs reforming. Otherwise nothing will change.

But that includes fair, impartial, enforcement and application of the law. To all. Applied equally to all. Everybody treated the same, with transparent and consistency.

Ain't gonna happen.

7 minutes ago, lucky11 said:

You mean they couldn't vote NO if they disagreed with the new constitution!! 

Funny that, as I thought that was one of the choices on both questions.

I am delighted that they accepted the (question 2) appointed senate - that should really put the politicians noses out of joint as they will be monitored for both performance and what they get up to.

I might be wrong, but I suggest that this won't solve corruption, it'll just substitute one gang of corrupt Thais with a new (old) gang. 

Perhaps I just need more kool-aid.

Winnie

8 hours ago, cmsally said:

When I look at the Thai system I am often reminded of a famous psychology experiment where someone indirectly turns up the electric current on the instruction of an " important" person.

If the experiment had of been real endless people would have been electrocuted, thankfully there was no current just machinery with a dial. However in Thailand's case ..... :whistling:

The whole point of the experiment being people often blindly follow instructions without using their judgement / take instructions from "knowledgeable" people over their own logic.

Of course with no logic and not much knowledge the whole thing would go haywire ! Implode poooof !!!

I'm an American.  We never follow instructions without using our judgement/ take instructions from "knowledgeable" people over their own logic!  Yeah when pigs fly.  ROFLMAO!!!  You guys kill me.  Europe is only worse.  Stop ragging on Thais. Please.