Plan to track all foreigners - NOT JUST TOURISTS - by SIM cards moves forward

webfact

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

OK. So you have no understanding of the "mechanis" of these SIMs, you are simply angry about other things.

The fact is the "mechanics" of this are not technically challenging.

It is not mechanically challenging to track people through their SIM cards. What is practically challenging is requiring all foreigners or non-residents to use SIM cards specially made to be tracked and then enforcing this rule while closing loopholes. Moreover, these proposals are even more challenging politically as the government tries not to engender more opposition to its continued rule. Sometimes I think these controversial ideas are floated as diversions to get people riled up about something aside from the daily mismanagement of public affairs and barking up the wrong tree, but that may be just wishful thinking.

Edited by debate101

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, debate101 said:

It is not mechanically challenging to track people through their SIM cards. What is practically challenging is requiring all foreigners or non-residents to use SIM cards specially made to be tracked and then enforcing this rule while closing loopholes. Moreover, these proposals are even more challenging politically as the government tries not to engender more opposition to its continued rule. Sometimes I think these controversial ideas are floated as diversions to get people riled up about something aside from the daily mismanagement of public affairs and barking up the wrong tree, but that may be just wishful thinking.

They are not requiring all tourists to use these new SIM cards.

These would be the SIM cards sold to foreigners when they purchase a SIM; however they are still welcome to use the sIM from their home country calling plan.

furthermore, the vast majority of tourists are not the paranoid anti-Thai crowd found here.

They would welcome the ability to be tracked at a time of emergency.

Edited by ClutchClark

13 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

They are not requiring all tourists to use these new SIM cards.

These would be the SIM cards sold to foreigners when they purchase a SIM; however they are still welcome to use the sIM from their home country calling plan.

furthermore, the vast majority of tourists are not the paranoid anti-Thai crowd found here.

They would welcome the ability to be tracked at a time of emergency.

This is apparently the latest iteration of the plan. First it was announced all foreigners would be tracked by special SIMs, and then that long-term residents would be exempt after the initial wave of outrage hit. The way they've had to back down already indicates the weakness of the government with regards to policy-making. Can you imagine if they'd announced the same thing about all residents, Thai and foreign? They seem quite adept at political repression and bullying but absolutely paralyzed policy-wise.

Real leadership requires the ability to negotiate successfully amongst complex sets of competing interests and being able to sell the public, to an extent, on what direction you want to take the country in. For all his faults and missteps, Thaksin had this ability in spades. This lot just haven't got it, thank god.

Edited by debate101

10 hours ago, JayBeeee said:

I freely admit to non-compliance with injustices. Do you think all laws/rules, however unjust, should be blindly obeyed? Have you never broken any law? If so, was it from commitment to a principle or philosophy, or simply because it was in the way of you doing what you please and likely that you'd get away with it?

Do you think we should freely surrender our rights to privacy? Or perhaps you believe we all belong to the state and we should only have those rights which are awarded to us by our masters? Do you have any thoughts of your own on the matter? I mean, reeeaaally 'of your own'?

Sorry, I keep coming in here expecting to find open-minded, critical thinking people; I don't mean to load you up with that burden.

Maybe I shouldn't send this, but...

I did right an essay as a reply but as this site is totaly unstable it has been lost again so if and when they get there act together I will reply

Interesting magical SIM.  Really miffed how it can do this. Technically, and operator in the world will know which Cell your on, because its constantly looking for which cell can provide you the best signal - and as such you can estimate a position based on triangulation. But thats a HLR / Core network thing, not a "SIM"

other alternative is to access GPS info, but am sure the likes of Apple and others would say "thanks but no thanks" to the Thai government on this.

how a SIM could do this is beyond me. 

6 minutes ago, skippybangkok said:

Interesting magical SIM.  Really miffed how it can do this. Technically, and operator in the world will know which Cell your on, because its constantly looking for which cell can provide you the best signal - and as such you can estimate a position based on triangulation. But thats a HLR / Core network thing, not a "SIM"

other alternative is to access GPS info, but am sure the likes of Apple and others would say "thanks but no thanks" to the Thai government on this.

how a SIM could do this is beyond me. 

You nailed it with your second guess. There was a previous news article that described this.

As for Apple, they already allow this with a court order AFAIK and that is how Thailand has stated they will puruse this--in limited instances with a court order.

4 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

You nailed it with your second guess. There was a previous news article that described this.

As for Apple, they already allow this with a court order AFAIK and that is how Thailand has stated they will puruse this--in limited instances with a court order.

Cheers..... then a little miffed at what all the kafaffle was about FBI insisting Apple unlock the phone of the terrorist.  Apple wants their product to feel secure, and the notion there is a back door ( which I believe there is ), they will be very quiet about

8 minutes ago, skippybangkok said:

Cheers..... then a little miffed at what all the kafaffle was about FBI insisting Apple unlock the phone of the terrorist.  Apple wants their product to feel secure, and the notion there is a back door ( which I believe there is ), they will be very quiet about

Apples to oranges. 

9 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

The military GPS has not been more accurate for over 10 years...there used to be a filter on the satellite signals for civilian use but that was lifted long ago.

If you read the articles it clearly states this SIM card technology will use location coordinates from the phones onboard GPS. 

Correct but GPS uses more than one satellite

36 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

Correct but GPS uses more than one satellite

It most certsnly does, in fact, it requires a minimum of three for a horizontal position.

I am pretty certain I typed "Satellite SIGNALS" and signals being plural means more than one satellite.

I am fairly well versed in GPS technologies  ;-)

On 15 August 2016 at 0:18 PM, lvr181 said:

And you have no care for others rights of freedom and privacy? That's your choice but I do care about other peoples right to freedom and privacy. I am not being self-centered, like some, on this one.

And I did spend many years in the Armed Forces where we were or may have been called upon to fight for others freedoms. And many sacrificed for your right to be selfish.

Have a nice day. 

"For those that have fought for it, Freedom has a flavour the protected shall never know."

Is this a cut and paste answer ?

This is not a reply to what I wrote at all.

I do care about people's Freedom and Privacy.

What I say to you is this, you cannot go to Country and pick and choose which laws you are going to follow and which you would rather not obey. The  say your freedoms have been taken away, when someone suggests to you, that you can have all the freedom in the world if you leave that Country.

Lets have anither go.

I am a drinking man.

I go to Saudi Arabia where Alcohol is not permitted.

If i go to Saudi Arabia, then I cannot drink Alcohol, thats their law.

So I do Not go to Saudi Arabia, i go elsewhere.

I have protected my Freedom and Privacy by  maming an informed choice.

If i lived in Saudi Arabia and they changed the law, wheno I was there, then it would not longer be a desirable place for me to live and the result would be the same  I would choose to live elsewhere,

I don't understand the issue here.  It not a case of well that law seems like a good idea I will follow it, but this other law I take issue with, so I am go complain about my rights and not oney it.  Just leave !

11 hours ago, autanic said:

Is this a cut and paste answer ?

This is not a reply to what I wrote at all.

I do care about people's Freedom and Privacy.

What I say to you is this, you cannot go to Country and pick and choose which laws you are going to follow and which you would rather not obey. The  say your freedoms have been taken away, when someone suggests to you, that you can have all the freedom in the world if you leave that Country.

Lets have anither go.

I am a drinking man.

I go to Saudi Arabia where Alcohol is not permitted.

If i go to Saudi Arabia, then I cannot drink Alcohol, thats their law.

So I do Not go to Saudi Arabia, i go elsewhere.

I have protected my Freedom and Privacy by  maming an informed choice.

If i lived in Saudi Arabia and they changed the law, wheno I was there, then it would not longer be a desirable place for me to live and the result would be the same  I would choose to live elsewhere,

I don't understand the issue here.  It not a case of well that law seems like a good idea I will follow it, but this other law I take issue with, so I am go complain about my rights and not oney it.  Just leave !

As I said "Have a nice day"  :wai: