Tesla in Thailand

9 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Drove a Tesla in Cali 2 years ago, they are fast, could i have one as a daily.?.Afraid not,they dont inspire confidence you keep wondering can i make it to next charge

So what if we will have charging stations everywhere in the future , just as many as we have gas stations ?  You will worry just as much with a petrol car when you look for a station and need to fill up the tank .   

In Norway more Tesla's are sold than in any other country in the world , they are the front leaders  and the government are building and financing the right infrastructure for charging stations right now .

It's just the time it takes to fill up the tank that could be an issue for some people , But the technology is getting better. 

"Tesla supercharging stations charge with up to 145 kW of power distributed between two adjacent cars, with a maximum of 120 kW per car. That is up to 16 times as fast as public charging stations; they take about 20 minutes to charge to 50%, 40 minutes to charge to 80%, and 75 minutes to 100%."

EV-_Charging-_Stations.jpg

Edited by balo
  • Like 2

When all the ifs become reality ,and the prices drop, maybe.I did notice a prob with folks parking in Hotel charging bays,so if you got there late you couldn't overnight charge.. As for Norway it's full of folks who overpay themselves,so not much to go on there. I think there's a missed big market within companies like Fed Ex,Local Post etc, for City n Local delivery.Something cheap n cheerful.?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2017 at 5:11 PM, bangkokairportlink said:

hahaha, you are a funny guy. Do you really think that Elon musk didn't think about all these things ?

And it seems that you also do not know that IN TRAFFIC the new Tesla can do 700 kms without charging.

Funny people on this forum, everyday I know more.

I didn't drove a Tesla, but i drove Chevy Volt, therefore i know.

Yes, can do more mileage in a European country, but not in tropical climate. Wen the car don't move (during traffic jams), it doesn't use power, that's right, but only when you not turn on the AC. AC's using power, a lot of power!

It will be fun, to stay in a 60 degree heated up Plastic box during a slow or non moving traffic jam in BKK without AC.

Of course, can always pull down the windows. Can smell the black smoking diesel exhaust from the bus in the front.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2017 at 0:11 PM, stingray said:

Yes, can do more mileage in a European country, but not in tropical climate. Wen the car don't move (during traffic jams), it doesn't use power, that's right, but only when you not turn on the AC. AC's using power, a lot of power!

It will be fun, to stay in a 60 degree heated up Plastic box during a slow or non moving traffic jam in BKK without AC.

Of course, can always pull down the windows. Can smell the black smoking diesel exhaust from the bus in the front.

The AC in a Tesla draws a maximum of 2 kW. Lets say your in the car day and night. Maximum sun all day, night no sun, but still uses AC. Avg use 1.5 kW.  That means you can be stuck in traffic for at least 60 hours straight (real life probably even more).

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/06/2017 at 0:11 PM, stingray said:

The chevy volt is not a Tesla and the way they are built is different from each other. The Tesla range doesn't go down by 50% in rush hour traffic I know because I drove one for a couple of months in Hong Kong my effective range was around 75%. Also Tesla will start Manufacturing in China and im suspecting when that factory is up and running the Tesla cars will reach the Asean market at least if we should believe the marketing manager I talked to during a press event in Hong Kong.

• Like 1

I can't see any advantages of owning a Tesla in Thailand. In Europe you save a lot of money not having to pay tax, parking fees, free charging stations everywhere, low insurance etc. Here? Forget about it. 

• 1 year later...
On 7/19/2017 at 3:26 PM, commie said:

I can't see any advantages of owning a Tesla in Thailand. In Europe you save a lot of money not having to pay tax, parking fees, free charging stations everywhere, low insurance etc. Here? Forget about it. 

It's the safest car ever. During tests and in actual accident statistics. I guess that's not an advantage as Thai roads are the safest in the world....

But the biggest advantage is for the environment... The more people buy Tesla the more the other car companies are forced to create their electric vehicles and the more competition the better and price for electric vehicles will be pushed down and more and more people will own electric vehicles and this is good for people that breathe air.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:05 PM, pkspeaker said:

Keep in mind, unless you wanna sweat your ass off, you have to run the aircon high in Thailand, a battery powered aircon on top of everything else forget it.  running an airconditioner on battery?  

If you are going to have one being in a cold climate is mandatory because it's easier to forgo the heater than it is the aircon in a warm climate.  

How many Teslas have been sold and are regularly used in, say, Texas, California or the Middle East?  Do you think that they are run without aircon!

7 hours ago, Just Weird said:

How many Teslas have been sold and are regularly used in, say, Texas, California or the Middle East?  Do you think that they are run without aircon!

Tesla has a super effecient ac.

people don't realize that you charge the car every time you come home.. so when you leave from home the car is usually full... This means if you're usually just driving to town and back or going out eating or shopping then you will never have to go to a charging station or gas station again...

If you wanna drive across country you will have problems .... Until charging stations become common...

I've owned gasoline car for 2 years and never drove longer than 3 hours or so... If I want to travel far I use airplane....

• Like 1

On 7/19/2017 at 3:26 PM, commie said:

Here's some more advantages.

Fuel cost. Electricity is cheaper per mile than gasoline.

Lower Maintenance cost. No more oil changes, filter changes, brake pad changes. (Brakes work by recharging the battery instead)..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

And in 15, 20 or 25 years when all these solar batteries and pannels will need replacement, the waste generated will create the new ecological disaster of the century.

Worse than burning fossil fuels?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hobz said:

Worse than burning fossil fuels?

around 40, 70 or 80 years ago people did not think petrol or nuclear was worse then coal and nuclear was considered at that era as a "clean" energy...so what to say about the solar battrey waste that will occur as stated in the previous post above ?

7 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

around 40, 70 or 80 years ago people did not think petrol or nuclear was worse then coal and nuclear was considered at that era as a "clean" energy...so what to say about the solar battrey waste that will occur as stated in the previous post above ?

There will be waste. Question is what is worse? And scientific consensus is that burning fossil fuels is worse.

Lithium can be recycled (not into batteries but other stuff). 
(actually it can be recycled into batteries as well, but that's too expensive)

Just because we were wrong before doesn't mean that we will always be wrong in the future... with your logic,, because we once were wrong about something being clean we need to reject anyone saying anything is clean in the future,... thats worse than penguin logic.

Edited by hobz
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, hobz said:

There will be waste. Question is what is worse? And scientific consensus is that burning fossil fuels is worse.

Just because we were wrong before doesn't mean that we will always be wrong in the future... with your logic,, because we once were wrong about something being clean we need to reject anyone saying anything is clean in the future,... thats worse than penguin logic.

whatever you say, dear fellow....so let's see in 30 - 40 years, who is right !!  but keep in mind that at one point, the "scientific consensus" that seems to appal to you, was convinced that previous theories about the earth were all rubbish and that the earth was flat and not round...yet mistakes have always been made since and will always been made. People who cannot except that mistakes can be made in the present of the future are either perfect or st*upid. I may deem that you are perfect in that case. Have a nice night.

Edited by observer90210

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

whatever you say, dear fellow....so let's see in 30 - 40 years, who is right !!  have a nice evening.

Yeah, let's see... ps, be careful with the car industry propaganda out there.... you think it's a coincidence that tesla has the least amount of accidents per mile yet 100000% more coverage on every single tesla related accident in the news?

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/no-tesla-batteries-are-not-a-global-warming-disaster#gs.89R_ag0

ps. I'm not sure about solar. Teslas are not solar driven... I didn't study the environmental effects of solar power. excuse my ignorance.

See you in 30-40 years ???? have a good night! 

1 minute ago, hobz said:

Yeah, let's see... ps, be careful with the car industry propaganda out there.... you think it's a coincidence that tesla has the least amount of accidents per mile yet 100000% more coverage on every single tesla related accident in the news?

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/no-tesla-batteries-are-not-a-global-warming-disaster#gs.89R_ag0

ps. I'm not sure about solar. Teslas are not solar driven... I didn't study the environmental effects of solar power. excuse my ignorance.

See you in 30-40 years ???? have a good night! 

thank you,

Edited by observer90210

7 hours ago, observer90210 said:

whatever you say, dear fellow....so let's see in 30 - 40 years, who is right !!  but keep in mind that at one point, the "scientific consensus" that seems to appal to you, was convinced that previous theories about the earth were all rubbish and that the earth was flat and not round...yet mistakes have always been made since and will always been made. People who cannot except that mistakes can be made in the present of the future are either perfect or st*upid. I may deem that you are perfect in that case. Have a nice night.

I never said that mistakes can't be made. We never know everything. We just gotta go forward with what seems reasonable. And electric vehicles and solar definitely seems reasonable.

Batteries can be recycled.

Solar panels are toxic and need to be treated as nuclear waste I guess. Speaking of nuclear, I heard its safer and safer,, should we just have a future with nuclear power plants for electricity and lithium batteries for vehicles? Seems pretty reasonable...

Edited by hobz

10 hours ago, observer90210 said:

The Egyptians knew the Earth is round.  The Greeks knew.  Columbus knew.  The flat earth thing is fodder for idiots.

You keep ignoring that the science on emissions and renewable energy is very strong and unlikely to go in the opposite direction in the future, and we know now how to recycle batteries and solar modules.  We're here today, not 80 years ago.

Your strawman arguments just highlight that you have nothing to stand on other than your willful ignorance.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mwbrown said:

The Egyptians knew the Earth is round.  The Greeks knew.  Columbus knew.  The flat earth thing is fodder for idiots.

You keep ignoring that the science on emissions and renewable energy is very strong and unlikely to go in the opposite direction in the future, and we know now how to recycle batteries and solar modules.  We're here today, not 80 years ago.

Your strawman arguments just highlight that you have nothing to stand on other than your willful ignorance.

I think he actually just has been reading too much fake news.

There's clearly lots of money being made from articles trying to criticize Tesla / global warming / climate change.. some of it is probably propaganda paid by oil industry, Tesla competitors etc. Some of it is just clickbait... 

Scientists that accept money  to deliberately trying to spread fake science to prevent progress from fossil fuels should be taken to court for crimes against humanity. It's very dangerous and lots and lots of people are buying it. 

There's huge amounts of people that believe that Tesla's are unsafe, ok not the end of the world, let them believe what they want. But there's also huge amounts of people denying climate change... Why are they doing that? It can be traced back to people profiting from convincing them this shit... Media, lobbyists, interest groups.. 

Media is just people doing their jobs,, they probably don't even understand themselves... The real <deleted> are the interest groups and lobbyists that sacrifice the earth for profit. They disgust me and they sadden me.

The good news is that pretty much every car company is producing electric vehicles now... I hopd I Will be able to afford one as my next ... Or better yet I hope I don't even need one. but that's a different story.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mwbrown said:

you seem rather rude but I will follow your advice on "ignorance" and put you on my ignore list. ????

I rented one last year. Many Americans do just to try as well.First prob was charging. Get to Hotel late and all the bays are full. Not for me, went back to Escalade Tank and freedom. Stupid things bother you, animals wander in front of you,no noise , you keep turning the air con down, watching range left. Its a personal choise , for me never again, but worth a try.  

On 10/25/2018 at 11:59 AM, hobz said:

after EV car batteries are replaced in about 10 years , they still retain 70% of their capacity.

They still can be repurposed for home use.

With the exponential growth of solar cell energy for home, It is estimated that in ten years there will be a huge market for home storage batteries.

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

after EV car batteries are replaced in about 10 years , they still retain 70% of their capacity.

They still can be repurposed for home use.

With the exponential growth of solar cell energy for home, It is estimated that in ten years there will be a huge market for home storage batteries.

Cool. I read also they can recycle the lithium for other stuff.

On 10/27/2018 at 8:37 AM, HAKAPALITA said:

I rented one last year. Many Americans do just to try as well.First prob was charging. Get to Hotel late and all the bays are full. Not for me, went back to Escalade Tank and freedom. Stupid things bother you, animals wander in front of you,no noise , you keep turning the air con down, watching range left. Its a personal choise , for me never again, but worth a try.  

Seems like a bad idea to use one on holiday. 

The key with the whole charging thing is that you need to charge it when you come home..  and then it's fully charged when you wake up in the morning... 

Until there's charging stations everywhere that is...

I suspect there will be more and more charging capabilities everywhere as pretty much every car maker is making EVs now.

Animals wandering in front of you?? Did you take LSD while driving? 

Air con software is probably updated / fixed already. They push updates like every 3 weeks.

Watching range left. Yeah, again, better suited for home use where you got it charged fully every time you go out. Until charging stations are everywhere.

Would you consider an ev from a more experienced car maker like vw or Nissan? In the future when charging stations are everywhere and range is longer?

Edited by hobz

10 minutes ago, hobz said:

Seems like a bad idea to rent one or use one on holiday. 

The key with the whole charging thing is that you need to charge it when you come home..  and the it's fully charged when you wake up in the morning... 

Until there's charging stations everywhere that is...

I suspect there will be more and more charging capabilities everywhere as pretty much every car maker is making EVs now.

Ani also wandering in front of you?? Did you take LSD while driving? 

My ex- wife has a Nissan leaf, she is a hospital administrator in Florida,and goes to the same place for work every day.

She arrives to work and plugs it in , after work she goes home and if need plugs it in, which is not often because she works only 30 min away, Most places we go most often in our area (we live nearby) are comfortably well with in range.

She has not paid for gas in years!!! If I was not retiring full time in Thailand this spring I would be getting one also. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1