Appeal to 3BB users

Berty100

My post is directed to internet users, in the East Pattaya area particular, who have the VDSL from 3BB.

My current internet contract with another ISP finish by the end of this month, and the only other option I have is 20/4Mb from 3BB.

That's a nice speed of course, at least on paper, but I need to sign a 1 year contract payable upfront, without knowing if it is an improvement on my current ISP.

Currently I have a 10/1Mb connection, which in real life gives me a ping around 280mS and steady download of 5Mb to UK and US servers.

The speed to UK/US servers is important to me because I stream from servers over there.

So I would like to ask for members who have such a 3BB connection, if they could perform a speedtest to UK and US servers and post the result here with mentioning the speed they have signed up for and their location.

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

Which ISP currently gives you a reliable 5mbs connection to the US/UK, and how much does it cost? Why dont you want to continue with them?

BTV, which is a CAT reseller over DOCSIS, gives me that speed.

The reason I want to change should be obvious, since a 20Mb connection is supposed to give a better speed than a 10 Mb one, don't you agree?

Price for both is the same, give or take a few hundred Baht a year., so the change should be an improvement at no cost.

Edited by Berty100

For better comparison I would suggest the following test procedure:

Open http://testmy.net/download

At the upper edge of the site you click on "Test Servers".

Move to the line " Europe >> London, GB" and click on "Set default".

Then click "Download Test" on the site menu.

Now click on "Manual Test Size" and select "25 MB".

Depending on the result one could repeat with bigger test sizes and/or repeat with same size.

As I neither live in Pattaya nor have 3BB my results are of limited value for the OP (8 MBit/s with high variance 4.27 to 22.42).

And I am not alone on the router currently.

Edited by KhunBENQ

6 minutes ago, Berty100 said:

The reason I want to change should be obvious, since a 20Mb connection is supposed to give a better speed than a 10 Mb one, don't you agree?

Hmm. I think the phrase "better the devil you know" applies as what is obvious in other countries is not necessarily so clear here.

I have kept my "old" 15/1 3BB ADSL package as the new VDSL package seems to offer less bandwidth outside of Thailand.

7 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Hmm. I think the phrase "better the devil you know" applies as what is obvious in other countries is not necessarily so clear here.

I have kept my "old" 15/1 3BB ADSL package as the new VDSL package seems to offer less bandwidth outside of Thailand.

So there you explained the purpose of my thread, to find people near my area who have said package, and who can forward their experience. :)

49 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

For better comparison I would suggest the following test procedure:

Open http://testmy.net/download

At the upper edge of the site you click on "Test Servers".

Move to the line " Europe >> London, GB" and click on "Set default".

Then click "Download Test" on the site menu.

Now click on "Manual Test Size" and select "25 MB".

Depending on the result one could repeat with bigger test sizes and/or repeat with same size.

As I neither live in Pattaya nor have 3BB my results are of limited value for the OP (8 MBit/s with high variance 4.27 to 22.42).

And I am not alone on the router currently.

I did the Test My Net test plenty of times with 50Mb of data to London and San Francisco servers, and my average speeds were 4.2 and 4.3 Mbps respectively.

What I recall now is that when I called the main 3BB office yesterday with the question if they throttle speeds to overseas servers, the lady commented that the only complaints she get is of people who stream from German servers.

55 minutes ago, Berty100 said:

So there you explained the purpose of my thread, to find people near my area who have said package, and who can forward their experience. :)

I know that. What I dont know is why you want to change from something that is satisfactory to something unknown that costs the same. If what you have does what you need at the right price, why look elsewhere?

As I said, better the devil you know.

13 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I know that. What I dont know is why you want to change from something that is satisfactory to something unknown that costs the same. If what you have does what you need at the right price, why look elsewhere?

As I said, better the devil you know.

As you will have read in my earlier posts, my download is about 5Mb to UK servers, 4.2Mbps according to test my net.

This is an acceptable speed, though nothing to write home about, as I experience occasional buffering on high resolution streams.

If I can improve that download speed with only 2-3 Mbps, that could make a big difference in my streaming experience, and with a speed published at double of what I have now I think that is a reasonable expectation.

Edited by Berty100

1 hour ago, Pattaya28 said:

I use 3BB live in East Pattaya.

Speedtest result Bangkok   ISP 14.13 Mb

London     ISP 8.52   Mb

New York ISP 8.05 Mb

Hope this helps

Thanks, I found my ex has 3BB ADSL in Chayapruek area inside a moobaan where probably everyone has the same internet provider. I asked the son to do a test with Test my net, over his phone connected to the Wifi.

At 5pm he got a test result with 25Mb file to London server of 14.2 Mb. So I placed an order already, because I would already be happy with the 8Mb you get.

Positive is that the whole installation in my street is brandnew, and there are not many houses here, so load will be low.

A funny detail to the 3BB saga I don't want to withhold, however not so sure if it is funny.

When 3BB built there installation in my soi about 6 months ago, they contacted me if I wanted to use their service, but since I still had 6 months to go with BTV I had to refuse.

The lady told me to save her number, so if I ever needed her service I could call her.

So a few days ago, and a few time thereafter , I called her with a few questions.

Questions like, how long do I have to sign up for, do I need to use the provided router or can I use my own, and other normal questions.

I also went to the shop in big C extra and asked the same questions, as I learned already that everyone in this country just make rules and laws on the spot.

Yesterday I called her again and asked if they throttled speed to UK or US streaming sites, on which she couldn't answer. Today I called her again and asked what speed I could expect to US/UK servers on which she again didn't answer, so I asked what is the minimum speed I will get. Again no answer, which is a bit strange since I'm probably not  the only customer who connects overseas, and they probably can find such things in their log files.

I reconsidered then a few hours, let my son do the speedtest at his mums home, and going from the result I decided to sign up.

As my house is about 20 meters from the road, and I had some 24 wire cable, that starts at the road and ends up in the loft, buried when I built the house with future internet installations in mind, I called her again and asked if a technician could come around and check if that cable was suitable for VDSL. At that point she started to do difficult and had no idea when a technician would have time, even not in days or weeks,however they drive around daily in the area here.

So I hung up and went straight into the 3BB shop at big C and asked the same question. The lady there called the lady I had spoken with just minutes before, and soon hang up the phone, with the question why I was such a problem maker.

When I challenged her why I was considered a problem maker I was told that I asked too many questions.Her precise words were, why you need our service if you don't want our router and why you need to know the speed.

She even said she didn't want to talk with my any further, and that I better stayed with my current ISP.

So I asked her if I was expected to slam the money on the table without asking which options I had, and what I could expect in return for my money.

I gave her some more decisive arguments about how I thought about this kind of service behavior, and that I could report her to headoffice if she insisted, and that changed her mood a bit and she agreed to an installation with the condition that it could be cancelled if the underground cable is not suitable.

So now you all have a reminder that if you as foreigner want to use a service in Thailand, just pay up and shut up, just crawl over the floor looking down and hold the money above your head while mumbling the words crapon crapon.

Especially don't make the mistake of asking some reasonable question about what options you have.

2 hours ago, Berty100 said:

A funny detail to the 3BB saga I don't want to withhold, however not so sure if it is funny.

When 3BB built there installation in my soi about 6 months ago, they contacted me if I wanted to use their service, but since I still had 6 months to go with BTV I had to refuse.

The lady told me to save her number, so if I ever needed her service I could call her.

So a few days ago, and a few time thereafter , I called her with a few questions.

Questions like, how long do I have to sign up for, do I need to use the provided router or can I use my own, and other normal questions.

I also went to the shop in big C extra and asked the same questions, as I learned already that everyone in this country just make rules and laws on the spot.

Yesterday I called her again and asked if they throttled speed to UK or US streaming sites, on which she couldn't answer. Today I called her again and asked what speed I could expect to US/UK servers on which she again didn't answer, so I asked what is the minimum speed I will get. Again no answer, which is a bit strange since I'm probably not  the only customer who connects overseas, and they probably can find such things in their log files.

I reconsidered then a few hours, let my son do the speedtest at his mums home, and going from the result I decided to sign up.

As my house is about 20 meters from the road, and I had some 24 wire cable, that starts at the road and ends up in the loft, buried when I built the house with future internet installations in mind, I called her again and asked if a technician could come around and check if that cable was suitable for VDSL. At that point she started to do difficult and had no idea when a technician would have time, even not in days or weeks,however they drive around daily in the area here.

So I hung up and went straight into the 3BB shop at big C and asked the same question. The lady there called the lady I had spoken with just minutes before, and soon hang up the phone, with the question why I was such a problem maker.

When I challenged her why I was considered a problem maker I was told that I asked too many questions.Her precise words were, why you need our service if you don't want our router and why you need to know the speed.

She even said she didn't want to talk with my any further, and that I better stayed with my current ISP.

So I asked her if I was expected to slam the money on the table without asking which options I had, and what I could expect in return for my money.

I gave her some more decisive arguments about how I thought about this kind of service behavior, and that I could report her to headoffice if she insisted, and that changed her mood a bit and she agreed to an installation with the condition that it could be cancelled if the underground cable is not suitable.

So now you all have a reminder that if you as foreigner want to use a service in Thailand, just pay up and shut up, just crawl over the floor looking down and hold the money above your head while mumbling the words crapon crapon.

Especially don't make the mistake of asking some reasonable question about what options you have.

I hope and pray you don't buy a car from me :cheesy: with all your questions.

And heavens help if and when you may need a "take-care" lady. :cheesy:

11 hours ago, Berty100 said:

Thanks, I found my ex has 3BB ADSL in Chayapruek area inside a moobaan where probably everyone has the same internet provider. I asked the son to do a test with Test my net, over his phone connected to the Wifi.

At 5pm he got a test result with 25Mb file to London server of 14.2 Mb. So I placed an order already, because I would already be happy with the 8Mb you get.

Positive is that the whole installation in my street is brandnew, and there are not many houses here, so load will be low.

I dont think you will get the same speed from the VDSL you order as your ex gets from ADSL (assuming that you manage to stop annoying the 3BB staff long enough for them to sign you up). As I mentioned, I have deliberately avoided switching from 3BB ADSL to the newer cheaper 3BB VDSL package precisely because the two work differently when it comes to international connections.

The number of houses near you is not relevant to the international throttling that may be applied to the VDSL connection, and it is this throttling that will dictate how fast your international connection is.

48 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I dont think you will get the same speed from the VDSL you order as your ex gets from ADSL (assuming that you manage to stop annoying the 3BB staff long enough for them to sign you up). As I mentioned, I have deliberately avoided switching from 3BB ADSL to the newer cheaper 3BB VDSL package precisely because the two work differently when it comes to international connections.

The number of houses near you is not relevant to the international throttling that may be applied to the VDSL connection, and it is this throttling that will dictate how fast your international connection is.

Well that is why I asked for members with a VDSL connection to post their speedtest results but,  other than Pattaya28 whi I think has regular ADSL, nobody has come forward however I don't think I will be the only one with VDSL in Pattaya and surroundings.

As you can notice in my previous post, I managed to educate the 3BB staff to the fact that I'm the customer and have the right to know what I will receive before I fork out the money, and the contract has been signed and paid for already.

Anyway if I get just half of the speed my ex gets, it will be an improvement by 50% over my current ISP, and the money is not wasted.

12 hours ago, Berty100 said:

... just crawl over the floor looking down and hold the money above your head while mumbling the words crapon crapon.

That's (one of) the problem(s) Berty... it's krapohm, krapohm with averted eyes and nodding while deeply genuflecting.

The 3BB phone assistant you got all riled up can't honestly answer your question but you pressed her and she became annoyed. That's infinitely better than the usual local customer service trait of "telling the customer what he wants to hear" which has been the cause of more unnecessary high blood pressure than any internet throttling, real or imagined.

Carry on fighting the good fight and don't forget to let us know how the VDSL works out.

4 hours ago, Berty100 said:

Well that is why I asked for members with a VDSL connection to post their speedtest results but,  other than Pattaya28 whi I think has regular ADSL, nobody has come forward however I don't think I will be the only one with VDSL in Pattaya and surroundings.

Try this: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/906623-anyone-can-comment-3bb-vdsl-internet/

53 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Indeed doesn't look good, should have found that thread earlier. Anyway, 3BB will be installed about 1 week before the other contract finish, so at worst I will lose 6900 Baht and have internet from 2 providers for the next year.

8 minutes ago, Mojomor said:

On 3BB we have 50 Mbps on Lan cable, via VDSL router. Only costs about 740 baht per month.

Thanks, could you please do a speedtest to London server on Testmynet.com as explained in post #6 and post the result here

14 hours ago, Berty100 said:

Thanks, could you please do a speedtest to London server on Testmynet.com as explained in post #6 and post the result here

I recently connected up with 3BB VDSL 20mb/4mb package for 590bt per month.

I'm in Pattaya also, and did the speed test as explained in post 6, i got a download reading 

of 13.3mbps and second test 13.4mbps using London servers.

Also tried the test using Frankfurt servers and got 12.84mbps

On 8/10/2016 at 10:38 AM, Berty100 said:

I would suggest keeping your old connection while testing the new one out. Over the last 10 years I have mostly kept two ISPs. I even had 3 for awhile. Even if you have to keep the new one for a year, it's not bad to have a spare connection. You can use Speedify (PC based software which joins 2 or more connections) to join them together for 30 Mbps (10 + 20). This software works very well and is quite reliable. What's more, it can also serve as a VPN because your speed is joined together at a Speedify server somewhere else, like Singapore, for example.

BTW, don't concern yourself too much with ping rates (rtt). That is based on distance from server. Your rtt to London are about as good as you'll get.

Edited by tropo

3BB VDSL installed today.

Bangkok server 22 Mb about double my BTV speed.

UK server  2.7Mb  about half my BTV speed

Other overseas servers, including Singapore, are also half my 10/1Mb connection with BTV.

Expensive lesson learned. Unusable

Now other than that my 3BB speed crap is, something happened to my BTV connection.

I have a 10/1Mb connection with BTV.

Now look at my speedtest to Bangkok and Singapore.I get a higher speed to Singapore as to Bangkok. To London I also get easily 8Mb with testmy.net, but also over 11Mb with ookla.

Someone can explain?

London btv ookla.PNG

London BTV.PNG

Bangkok BTV.PNG

Singapore test BTV.PNG

7 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I did warn you four times.

YOU warned me, but look at post #12 and #24.

So who's comment should I value the most, 2 members with a VDSL connection, or the one without a VDSL connection?

Edited by Berty100

4 hours ago, Berty100 said:

YOU warned me, but look at post #12 and #24.

So who's comment should I value the most, 2 members with a VDSL connection, or the one without a VDSL connection?

The one who knows what he is talking about?