10 targeted industries generate over 90 billion baht in investment in first 5 months of 2016

webfact

10 targeted industries generate over 90 billion baht in investment in first 5 months of 2016

BANGKOK, 11 August 2016 (NNT) – The government has made an effort to push 10 specific industries to achieving new goals and has invested more than 90 billion baht in these industries over the past five months. 

Minister of Industry Atchaka Sribunruang reported that from January to May this year, 280 projects across the government’s targeted industries filed for investment assistance totaling 91.875 billion baht, which is 40 percent of all investment assistance requests in the Kingdom. 

Most of the sums were requested for the automotive and auto parts industries, which saw 30 billion baht worth of requests filed. The processed farm goods industry had the second highest value of investment at more than 22 billion baht. 12 billion baht was given to the telecommunications industry and electronic appliances, and the petrochemical and chemical industry also received 12 billion baht. 

The government is optimistic that the industrial sector will be healthy in the third and fourth quarters as private sector consumption is on the rise due to farmers receiving more income from higher priced farm goods. The successful public referendum has also spurred confidence among private sector investors. While the government is hoping for signs of economic recovery, it is unclear what the state of global demand will be. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-08-11

I can't seem to see "Bert's Bar & Greasy spoon"  on the list----which must be an over sight because every-tine I read Thai Visa, I am assured the country would collapse without the farang input into these important tourist area's...................:coffee1:

drunken-tourist-asleep-on-the-street-pat

Edited by oxo1947

At first glance I thought this was a knee-jerk reaction to the announcement that FDI for the first half of the year had tanked by 90%

On closer inspection, it actually says that the government has funnelled 90 billion baht of taxpayers money and the 10 targeted industries had soaked up money, not 'generated' at all.

Great. So another dishonest filler piece then.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

25 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

I can't seem to see "Bert's Bar & Greasy spoon"  on the list----which must be an over sight because every-tine I read Thai Visa, I am assured the country would collapse without the farang input into these important tourist area's...................:coffee1:

drunken-tourist-asleep-on-the-street-pat

Next time get permission ......I was meditating 

So, the Minister of Industry's great achievement (as Winniedadu sardonically points out above) is to gamble with taxpayers money and try to call it "...90 billion baht in investment in ...5 months..."!

That's nothing to get excited about (even by Thai standards). Yesterday, the Ministry of Tourism and Sports is trying to convince us that a "...projected 20 billion baht will circulate during the upcoming (three-day) Mothers Day holiday..." (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/937041-thai-tourism-min-sees-more-visitors-from-russia-kasakhstan-optimistic-for-mothers-day-spending/)!

One thing you have to say about the junta and it's stooges, they are trying their damnedest to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear! Unfortunately (for Thailand), they'll probably end up with a pig's breakfast instead.