internet scams

dazzz

Hi , my wifes daughter came to me this morning to help with a person from london she had been chatting to on facebook . He said he sent her a parcel with $3,200 worth of gifts . She then had a phone call from a woman in phuket asking her to pay 28,000 baht to send her the parcel.
 This guy was still on facebook so i started chatting in her place . He could not spell and was obviously a scam so i played with him for a bit . His so called name was eric donaldson and he told me he came from " man chester city , quensland , london "
 I told him i was the police and was tracking him and with a few choice words he disappeared. Easy for me to see it was a scam and as my stepdaughter had no money could not send any but i am sure a few thai women without help may be tempted to send money to this scum who steals of the poorest people.
 I doubt if it is his photo but if he is stupid enough to think manchester and qeeunsland is in london you never know so this is his facebook page if anyone recognises him

<removed> 

Edited by CharlieH
name & shame not permitted.

It's a Nigerian/Thai scam that has been running for years. I had a Thai female friend who almost fell for it as well until I told her it was &lt;deleted&gt;. Saved her some money but as the old saying goes "If it looks and sounds too good to be true, it most likely is". Well done for saving your step daughter from wasting money.

Post removed. 

DO NOT post links to facebook pages, nor images of any individual. They will be removed.

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

the targeted victim has been very extremely lucky because of the prudent decision of the step father. scams like this go on all along. recently there was a scam using DHL . the operation procedure was similar about a parcel etc. please be warned and act with care.

16 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Should have played it out longer, get the RTP involved and get the bitch in Phuket busted

not easy to trace as fictitious  names and address are used. the origin of the caller could be  anywhere too.

17 hours ago, chowny77 said:

It's a Nigerian/Thai scam that has been running for years. I had a Thai female friend who almost fell for it as well until I told her it was &lt;deleted&gt;. Saved her some money but as the old saying goes "If it looks and sounds too good to be true, it most likely is". Well done for saving your step daughter from wasting money.

and the guilt and pain of having been used as a tool in addition to the financial loss.

The OP did well to protect his family but these scams will never go away because they rely on people being greedy. Internet scams seem 'original' but nothing has changed since the dawn of civilization, ie. people will give something if they believe they will receive more. 

A culture of "acceptance" can be a good thing and a bad thing.  This is an example of the latter. The naive and gullible exist everywhere of course, but a person from such a culture is raised from birth to be less inclined to question, to doubt, and to react with skepticism.  An individual like that is going to be more susceptible to internet scams.  It's probably a full-time job trying to protect them.

Sure wish you could've somehow managed to get this creep caught.

Question: Is it a crime if a foreigner, who happens to be in Thailand when he does it, defames someone who's neither Thai nor physically located in Thailand, using internet services or assets which also are not physically located in Thailand?

All scams rely on one factor to work. GREED.

Lets face it, if a box of goodies turned up at your house, an honest person, would say they have not ordered it and returned it to the sender. 

Heres a quick way to spot a scam.

1. The sale price is too cheap. 

2. The company is not listed in the yellow pages

3. The company want you to pay in a way that allows them a degree of anonymity. 

4. Scammers hate credit cards.

5. The company lower the price, when pushed too easily.

6. They claim to be in one country but sound like they are from another. (I know it sounds racist, but 99.9% of the time, its true).

7. Never accept a payment from someone in another country, it rarely works out.

8. Use your common sense, if someone is offering an Iphone 6S for 250 pounds, then its a scam.

9. Never give out your home address or contact details online, if you do then your wide open to scams

10. If in doubt, do not proceed.

Online scams rely on getting in, get the money and get out fast. They create a sense of urgency like only 1 item left to buy or clearance sale. If you pay by credit card and its over 100 pounds, the  your card company are legally responsible for giving you a refund not the retailer.

Best rule to avoid online scams. Pay by a Mastercard Credit Card.

On 8/11/2016 at 3:38 PM, CharlieH said:

Claims to be from London, but talking in US dollars? Alarm bell right there.

Internet is full of 'em , got to be careful out there.

Why???

This board is full of people living in Thailand.. talking about taxi fares in dollars, pounds and who knows what other currency?:whistling:

Of course it is a scam, but the fact that someone she has never met is sending her gifts for $3,200 is enough to make any sensible person hear alarm bells.

I wrote in another thread about a girl I knew receiving 9,5 million pounds from a woman she has never met. She refuses to accept that it is a scam.

Edited by petedk