Hotel worker arrested for turning blind eye to deadly sexual assault

snoop1130

Hotel worker arrested for turning blind eye to deadly sexual assault

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

S_3317765.jpg

Hotel employee Rattana Ruengyot, at left, listens as Bangkok police chief Sanit Mahatavorn speaks to reporters Wednesday at Bangkok’s Metropolitan Police Bureau.

BANGKOK — Police have accused a hotel receptionist who allegedly stood by and did nothing as an accessory to the death of a 19-year-old student brought unconscious to the hotel, where she was raped and murdered.

For failing to intervene in the crime, Rattana Ruengyot, 66, who works at Sena Place in the Phaya Thai district, was arrested Wednesday and charged with being an accessory to the fatal sexual assault.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2016/08/11/hotel-worker-arrested-turning-blind-eye-deadly-sexual-assault/

-- Khaosod English 2016-08-11

May not be a bad thing but what about the gangbangers they have in custody? How about arresting the owner of the hotel too as the owners are usually just interested in money. The owners know who visits their hotels and they don't care so long as they get their money. It's good that people are being prosecuted for crimes but we are still waiting for the hisos like the CP heir to be arrested and for the the soldiers who beat the other soldiers to death to be arrested too. Once they see jail, Things will be a lot better.

7 minutes ago, Alive said:

May not be a bad thing but what about the gangbangers they have in custody? How about arresting the owner of the hotel too as the owners are usually just interested in money. The owners know who visits their hotels and they don't care so long as they get their money. It's good that people are being prosecuted for crimes but we are still waiting for the hisos like the CP heir to be arrested and for the the soldiers who beat the other soldiers to death to be arrested too. Once they see jail, Things will be a lot better.

The owner was not there, this guy opened the door watch them carry a girl in and did nothing. The owner has nothing to do with this this guy is guilty. (how much I am not sure of myself yet)

The remark about the soldier who killed that other soldier and now using defamation laws against i believe a niece (your 100% right about that one he should be in jail too). I don't know of the case of the CP heir so I cant comment. But Charlem and his sons should also be in jail and you know why. Shooting someone and then lat daddy take care of the witnesses. 

I hope the Mercedes driver gets it too been silent for a while on that front. 

7 hours ago, robblok said:

The owner was not there, this guy opened the door watch them carry a girl in and did nothing. The owner has nothing to do with this this guy is guilty. (how much I am not sure of myself yet)

The remark about the soldier who killed that other soldier and now using defamation laws against i believe a niece (your 100% right about that one he should be in jail too). I don't know of the case of the CP heir so I cant comment. But Charlem and his sons should also be in jail and you know why. Shooting someone and then lat daddy take care of the witnesses. 

I hope the Mercedes driver gets it too been silent for a while on that front. 

Have you never heard about the heir of Redbull who drove over a cop with his ferrari while he was speeding? Within 5 minutes they had another person who claimed to be the driver.

We don't know what the guy saw or heard, maybe a bit tough to arrest and charge him. Also he is 66, maybe incapable of intervening in any case.

Previous poster is 100% correct about the high profiles not being pursued i this way. Disgusting.

15 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

We don't know what the guy saw or heard, maybe a bit tough to arrest and charge him. Also he is 66, maybe incapable of intervening in any case.

Previous poster is 100% correct about the high profiles not being pursued i this way. Disgusting.

A call to the police would then have to be the least of what he could do. But that is why I say im not sure because we don't know what he has seen.

whole system is rotten. defamation even when it is the truth. how can crimes be reported and punished if everyone is to scared to say anything? thais have learnt to just keep their mouth shut and hope for the best, alot of us foreigners do the same. criminals go about their business knowing everyone will look the other way and not open their mouths for fear of reprisal. 

I think there is video footage of them trying to push her into the room . she tried to fight but was not strong enough against 4 of them. If there is cctv of him opening the door and being present as she was pushed into the room , then he is just as responsible. 

"Not my business" is no longer a defense in the court of Thailand. 

Posters deflecting to other crimes that have absolutely no connection in anyway to this case should go to the thread of that topic. 

This is the story of a bright university student that was drugged, forced into a hotel room, raped by 4 men and died all while the hotel worker looked on and did nothing. 

3 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Posters deflecting to other crimes that have absolutely no connection in anyway to this case should go to the thread of that topic. 

This is the story of a bright university student that was drugged, forced into a hotel room, raped by 4 men and died all while the hotel worker looked on and did nothing. 

No need to deflect, but its just sad how in Thailand crimes are so easily forgotten (money connection) The justice system is certainly not blind here and I really hope they punish all the people involved in this crime.

9 minutes ago, greenchair said:

I think there is video footage of them trying to push her into the room . she tried to fight but was not strong enough against 4 of them. If there is cctv of him opening the door and being present as she was pushed into the room , then he is just as responsible. 

If that is the case then yes this guy is guilty and should be punished too.

11 hours ago, Alive said:

If it is owned by a company should all the elite shareholders be prosecuted too?

11 minutes ago, greenchair said:

There is a lot of truth in the statement  “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” I realise that he was 66 and there were 4 young men but, as another poster mentioned, a phone call could have been made.

As I see it, there are two significant issues for Thai justice to deal with here.

The first one, is of course the heinous crime committed by four men that lead to the violent death of the young girl. I am confident that the system will ensure they receive appropriate punishment.

However, the second issue could prove a real test the system - that of making a Thai accountable for their actions (or, in this case, their inaction)!

From the little information available to us, it would appear that 66-year old Rattana Ruengyot could have taken some action that may have saved the girl's life. I think that most of us would agree with roblok that "a call to the police would then have to be the least of what he could do".

Without knowing all the facts, it seems that this is yet another example of an unfortunate outcome because some person or organisation in Thailand failed to take proper responsibility for their actions.

It now falls to the justice system to prosecute this case!

Should they convict him, Rattana "...can be punished with jail terms up to two-thirds that of the crime in question. In death-penalty cases, it means 50 years in prison...". And, a clear message is sent out that (as greenchair puts it) "Not my business" is no longer a defense in the court of Thailand".

However, if this is the outcome, it could be interpreted as one rule for the rich and another for the poor (there are already examples that suggest this). Conversely, if Rattana is allowed to walk free, it will only serve to highlight the endemic problem in this country of people not being held legally accountable for their actions that impact on others.

Clearly, this is going to test the system.

As a final thought, had the girl survived, would Rattana have been charged with being an accessory to the sexual assault?

I sure don't want to defend this stand-by-and-do-nothing man but maybe the reason he did not call police was that he was afraid of reprisals from the 4 rapists for putting their balls in a sling. 

What a bunch of loser scumbags they are. 

6 minutes ago, waldroj said:

As I see it, there are two significant issues for Thai justice to deal with here.

The first one, is of course the heinous crime committed by four men that lead to the violent death of the young girl. I am confident that the system will ensure they receive appropriate punishment.

However, the second issue could prove a real test the system - that of making a Thai accountable for their actions (or, in this case, their inaction)!

From the little information available to us, it would appear that 66-year old Rattana Ruengyot could have taken some action that may have saved the girl's life. I think that most of us would agree with roblok that "a call to the police would then have to be the least of what he could do".

Without knowing all the facts, it seems that this is yet another example of an unfortunate outcome because some person or organisation in Thailand failed to take proper responsibility for their actions.

It now falls to the justice system to prosecute this case!

Should they convict him, Rattana "...can be punished with jail terms up to two-thirds that of the crime in question. In death-penalty cases, it means 50 years in prison...". And, a clear message is sent out that (as greenchair puts it) "Not my business" is no longer a defense in the court of Thailand".

However, if this is the outcome, it could be interpreted as one rule for the rich and another for the poor (there are already examples that suggest this). Conversely, if Rattana is allowed to walk free, it will only serve to highlight the endemic problem in this country of people not being held legally accountable for their actions that impact on others.

Clearly, this is going to test the system.

As a final thought, had the girl survived, would Rattana have been charged with being an accessory to the sexual assault?

I would be very interested in " there are already examples that suggest this " of a rich person ignoring a rape/murder or other similarly heinous crime and not being prosecuted. Could you give us a few?

1 hour ago, newatthis said:

There is a lot of truth in the statement  “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” I realise that he was 66 and there were 4 young men but, as another poster mentioned, a phone call could have been made.

phone call? and then the 66 year old will find himself getting pummelled to death by four young guys and their friends.

This whole charade looks like a Thai soap.
In a few weeks, this whole thing will be forgotten.
Same as the Mercedes case and a lot of other cases.
Everybody involved will have "wai'd & apologised" and lots of money will have changed hands.
This is Thailand.

34 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

phone call? and then the 66 year old will find himself getting pummelled to death by four young guys and their friends.

There is always this fine line between: "If I make this phone call, I may save this girl" and "If I make this phone call, I may be pummelled to death."  None of us can really say what we would do in this situation. And that is why Edmund Burke's statement has a lot of truth in it.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

If that is the case then yes this guy is guilty and should be punished too.

here is a link with this video yes they pushed the poor girl inside the room and the old man is with them all.

http://www.krobkruakao.com/ข่าวด่วน/23054/จับพนักงานโรงแรมคดี-4-วัยรุ่นข่มขืนนักศึกษาหญิงเสียชีวิต.html

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

No real evidence from they video that the girl was struggling or indeed that the four men weren't just helping a drunk girl to a room to sleep off the effects.  Clearly with 20/20 hindsight and indeed any real foresight the hotel worker might have suspected what was going on but hardly a criminal act on his part justifying a 50 year prison sentence.

15 hours ago, Alive said:

This one is difficult to call for me. Surely if he knew something was wrong, and being a 66 year old man alone in the hotel, there is not much he could do to stop 4 younger men. But he could have called the Police right away and tried distracting them until they arrived.

But then how would he know for sure something is wrong? It is not like she was awake and asked for help, or screamed later in her hotel room. I mean 4 guys walk in with a unconscious woman and tell the front desk man that this is his wife and she drank too much, so him and his friends are carrying her home to sleep it off.

I may suspect something fishy, but is this enough to call the Police on? Even if they stayed in the room longer, maybe there are having a few beers together first, and before they go. I wouldn't be thinking that 4 people who I saw there faces and are caught on CCTV is raping someone.

Besides, if they called the Police every time they saw some drunk person being taken to his or her hotels in Pattaya, in the wee hours of the morning, the Police would be there all the time. 

I think I would need to see some proof he knew something was going on and wrong, and yet did nothing, before I would tar and feather him.   

4 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

66, or not.

If he can run a hotel, he can call the police also.

Arrested and charged? Bloody good job,The Useless bastard.Couldnt have dialed 911 or whatever.useless piece of shit.

My God! i would hate to think if it was my daughter in that poor girls place.Pathetic arsehol

Its true what they say,That 'Evil prevails when good men do nothing'.

2 hours ago, newatthis said:

There is always this fine line between: "If I make this phone call, I may save this girl" and "If I make this phone call, I may be pummelled to death."  None of us can really say what we would do in this situation. And that is why Edmund Burke's statement has a lot of truth in it.

Edmund Burke made many notable statements (a number of which could apply here). Presumably, you mean "Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little"?

I have always known the  statement as ,Evil prevails when good men do nothing.I have never known it to contain the  words that you say it does.Its the one we were taught in school.You may be right,but i think our English teacher would have told us the saying in its entirety if it were so.

Was Edmund Burke also the man who said

'The greatest trick the Devil pulled, was to make us believe he didnt exist.?