webfact

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Lukecan said:

Definitely doesn't look like an ISIS attack since to Russian/western interests were targteted. It seems to be an internal matter. Someones trying to destabilise the tourism industry.

This is the most non-sensical reply yet.

Russian / Western interestes have been targeted for DECADES.

From The Daily Telegraph:

Paul Chambers, an expert on the Thai military, said rebels from the south were prime suspects in the blasts.

"The culprits are most likely Malay-Muslim insurgent groups fighting the Thai state in the deep south," he said.

"The attack on Hua Hin seems like a direct affront at the Kingdom of Thailand. Hua Hin is home to a royal palace... also, the bombing comes on the queen's birthday."

Edited by NotMyUsualid

1 hour ago, diddygq said:

Girlfriend said, "The reds not happy about the vote and this planned aweady (Already)".  The funding for it I guess.

I could be one of red methods (violence in 2010 and 2013-2014 show us they can kill Thai without remords), or a group of people how are not happy with Brothels, sex massage and short time bar crackdown, but wait result of investigation 

Edited by than
complete my comment

Just like things aren't always what they seem, sometimes they are. As in most things it always helps to ask who benefits? Recently we had the referendum, and now we have bomb attacks, hard to imagine they aren't related. Who doesn't like the referendum due to it going against their long term interests? A few stakeholders come to mind.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Thailand terror attack: Series of blast hit Bangkok, hours after 2 explosions; 4 dead, over 20 injured

The role of regional extremist outfit Pattani Islamic Mujahideen Movement, is suspected behind the attack.

By India.com News Desk 

Bangkok, Aug 12: Hours after two terror attacks shook southern Thailand, a fresh spate of bombings have been reported from Bangkok. According to reports, a series of fresh explosions occurred on Friday, bringing the city to a standstill. Hua Hin district chief Sutthipong Klaiudom has confirmed that so far, preliminary investigation have revealed the eight separate explosions occurred.

A total of 4 people have been killed, and over 20 are critically injured. Bangkok police has cordoned off the region. Bomb diffusion squad is at the site to inspect all suspicious objects.

Full story: http://www.india.com/news/world/thailand-terror-attack-series-of-blast-hit-bangkok-hours-after-2-explosions-4-dead-over-20-injured-1402186/

-- INDIA 2016-08-12

Really should stop citing this outlet as a source.

They seem to think Hua Hin and other locations are neighborhoods of Bangkok, which of course they are not.

AFAIK, absolutely nothing has been reported IN Bangkok.

There's nothing about the timing, location, targets, etc of these various attacks that suggests any likelihood of them being FOREIGN Islamic terrorism.

Local political terrorism (of whatever source) probably has to be considered the highest likely cause, though Southern separatist motivations probably can't be ruled out at this point.

The fact that all this occurred on the eve of, and the day of, a certain birthday surely is not by accident or coincidence.

BTW, as the list of bombings has grown and locations multiplied, it kind of suggests that there was a fair amount of coordinated planning and organization that went into all this -- obviously totally undetected by the authorities.

Unless you happen to believe attacks in 3+ different cities all within a 24 hour period just happen to be episodes of coincidence.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, diddygq said:

Girlfriend said, "The reds not happy about the vote and this planned aweady (Already)".  The funding for it I guess.

Not trying to be a jerk but everyone's girlfriend or wife says something.  Thais are like us (imagine that) they have opinions, hear rumors, have blowhards who claim to have inside knowledge, etc too.  Now, if she had said, "They just announced on Thai radio that Thaksin did a Skype chat with supporters and took full responsibility for the bombs" then she might be providing some valuable intel.  Repeating what her and her friends are saying, is sort of like repeating the opinion of someone here on TV.  

Quoted from the electronic tabloids of a certain Thai newspaper which shall remain nameless, concerning the fire at Lee Mart Trang.

"Nguad Henchuan, 65, a security guard at the department store said about 3am, the smell of smoke awoke him...." 

Nobody can question that man's dedication to his job.

43 minutes ago, PattayaBoy said:

but why ?

its all over Sky News live tv now

I very much doubt the attacks had anything to do with tourism per se, other than that the locations chosen the perpetrators could expect some foreigners might be injured/killed and that this would send the message to foreign governments/publics through their media, the same message that was being sent to the current Thai government.

Also, the choosing of Hua Hin was certainly not an accident.

Seems to me definitely political. The major tourist areas in the North remain unscathed (thank goodness for them). I live in Trang. A lovely town, lovely people, thought I lived in paradise with my kids in a safe environment until yesterday. The bomb went off less than a mile from our home and the fire in the supermarket that was started at 3am is still going. A huge area of buildings near the train station will have to be pulled down. Damage will be many hundreds of millions of baht.

The police are simply not trained to deal with these situations. It is only due to the incompetence of the bombers that the damage to life and property is not more significant.

Note for all in terms of personal security. These people are not muslim or isis bombers who are looking for their ticket to 72 virgins. They are political terrorists and as such they do not want to be caught or killed. Stay in areas that have a high presence of security people. Security people are a deterrent and a would be bomber of this psychology will move to a quieter less protected location. All bombs so far have been devices using mobile phones as the device to activate detonation and have been in bags mainly dropped in waste paper bins. All supermarkets, bars and even public areas should for the moment have all waste bins removed (remember this was done in the 80's early 90's in the UK). Be vigilant. If you are in an area where a device goes off before you become the local hero please remove your family/GF/kids from the entire area to complete safety. Normally a terrorist will always have a secondary more powerful device within 100M of the first device. They will wait for police/ambulance and crowds and then activate the second device. Sorry to harp on but this has been part of occupational 'interests' for 30 years. Good luck, be safe and hope the security forces can effectively intervene soon.

4 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

Seems to me definitely political. The major tourist areas in the North remain unscathed (thank goodness for them). I live in Trang. A lovely town, lovely people, thought I lived in paradise with my kids in a safe environment until yesterday. The bomb went off less than a mile from our home and the fire in the supermarket that was started at 3am is still going. A huge area of buildings near the train station will have to be pulled down. Damage will be many hundreds of millions of baht.

The police are simply not trained to deal with these situations. It is only due to the incompetence of the bombers that the damage to life and property is not more significant.

Note for all in terms of personal security. These people are not muslim or isis bombers who are looking for their ticket to 72 virgins. They are political terrorists and as such they do not want to be caught or killed. Stay in areas that have a high presence of security people. Security people are a deterrent and a would be bomber of this psychology will move to a quieter less protected location. All bombs so far have been devices using mobile phones as the device to activate detonation and have been in bags mainly dropped in waste paper bins. All supermarkets, bars and even public areas should for the moment have all waste bins removed (remember this was done in the 80's early 90's in the UK). Be vigilant. If you are in an area where a device goes off before you become the local hero please remove your family/GF/kids from the entire area to complete safety. Normally a terrorist will always have a secondary more powerful device within 100M of the first device. They will wait for police/ambulance and crowds and then activate the second device. Sorry to harp on but this has been part of occupational 'interests' for 30 years. Good luck, be safe and hope the security forces can effectively intervene soon.

Unless of course the bombs are being placed by so called "security people" , if it is as you say, political. :blink:

4 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

So sad Thailand has chosen to go down this road...things were so hopeful when I first came here at the turn of the Millennium, with the recent enactment of the "People's Constitution." Those who did away with that constitution have allot to answer for.

I'm going home now to wait out today in safety.

The people planting the bombs have a lot to answer for. No excuse whatsoever.

3 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

I am sure it is connected to the referendum vote last week. Time will tell.

No doubt it is, I would avoid any collections of uniforms / police boxes et. al. And enjoy the finer parts of life, like going away with the family where it''s less dense and picking up a hobby like fishing.

Edited by stevecm

3 minutes ago, stevecm said:

No doubt it is, I would avoid any collections of uniforms / police boxes et. al. And enjoy the finer parts of life, like going away with the family where it''s less dense and picking up a hobby like fishing.

you are correct. I want to clarify my point in the earlier post above. Police, Army etc ARE targets exactly as you say. Stay clear. What I mean by staying in an area with 'security people' is similar to where I am currently sat in krabi. Local security people as we normally see in banks, hotels, supermarkets etc. Where there are lots of them looking for bad guys will be a reasonably safe area. they are not experts, not armed but invariably will deter a bad guy from operating there as they simply do not want to be caught, seen, identified. Of course at home in the garden or out at sea fishing in your boat is as you imply, perfect.

4 hours ago, NotMyUsualid said:

What sort of a mindset, wants to ruin the biggest earner, tourism, for their own people?

What sort of a mindset, is used to synchronized bombing?

What group of people regularly targets tourists / innocents as their modus operandi?

I'm calling this - snackbar attack.

Could it be the "green" V's "brown" wars over fuel smuggling, people smuggling, drug smuggling, timber smuggling have kicked off again?? :(:facepalm::bah::wai: