Thai tourism takes brief hit after bombings

rooster59

On August 14, 2016 at 10:51 AM, Goldieinkathu said:

:blink:

Foreign investors have pumped $12 billion in to Thai stocks and debt this year.

Below is a headline from early in the year,,,

UPDATE: Foreign investment in Thailand plunges 78%, Vietnam sets record

And this is from the 2nd August.

Foreign direct investment (FDI) in Thailand in the first half of the year fell by more than 90% in value to the lowest mark in over a decade at US$347 million, reports the Bank of Thailand. 

I do not know what you are reading but it seems pretty well covered that Thailand is having a disastrous time attracting new foreign investment and companies are choosing competitors across the Asean, particularly Vietnam (with a much more open policy on foreign investment) and the Philippines.

It is not going to get easier. Just as other Asean countries are seeing the potential and making policies attractive to investors Thailand are continuing with their Nationalist attitude towards everything and in my opinion making it more difficult. Things like the recent announcement of "tracking" sim cards just send yet more warning signs to foreign companies about what is to come. The lack of a democratically elected Government and the seeming endless rule of the military is obviously also a serious factor to consider.

They are falling behind and unless there is a radical change of attitude towards foreign business investment and foreigners in general Thailand in my view, is heading for economic disaster in the not too distant future.

2 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

Below is a headline from early in the year,,,

UPDATE: Foreign investment in Thailand plunges 78%, Vietnam sets record

And this is from the 2nd August.

Foreign direct investment (FDI) in Thailand in the first half of the year fell by more than 90% in value to the lowest mark in over a decade at US$347 million, reports the Bank of Thailand. 

I do not know what you are reading but it seems pretty well covered that Thailand is having a disastrous time attracting new foreign investment and companies are choosing competitors across the Asean, particularly Vietnam (with a much more open policy on foreign investment) and the Philippines.

It is not going to get easier. Just as other Asean countries are seeing the potential and making policies attractive to investors Thailand are continuing with their Nationalist attitude towards everything and in my opinion making it more difficult. Things like the recent announcement of "tracking" sim cards just send yet more warning signs to foreign companies about what is to come. The lack of a democratically elected Government and the seeming endless rule of the military is obviously also a serious factor to consider.

They are falling behind and unless there is a radical change of attitude towards foreign business investment and foreigners in general Thailand in my view, is heading for economic disaster in the not too distant future.

My quote was from the 9th August.Here's a report from today :

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-15/thailand-s-economy-expanded-more-than-expected-in-second-quarter