Do expats need a relationship to be happy here?

JJGreen

I wouldn't call it very lucky - most people seem to manage it. 

Reading this place might give the impression that the majority of men are incapable of forming a normal relationship, but I think thats more of a reflection on the user base of this forum than it is on men in general. 

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

I wouldn't call it very lucky - most people seem to manage it. 

Reading this place might give the impression that the majority of men are incapable of forming a normal relationship, but I think thats more of a reflection on the user base of this forum than it is on men in general. 

I disagree with "most seem to manage it", as IMO "most" don't.  They may stay married for their own reasons, but most long-term marriages are convenient rather than happy.  Not all obviously, just most.

15 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I disagree with "most seem to manage it", as IMO "most" don't.  They may stay married for their own reasons, but most long-term marriages are convenient rather than happy.  Not all obviously, just most.

I think you might just be projecting your own experiences, there - or those of the kind of people you've met here. 

Neither Thaivisa or the occupants of farang bar stools are a particularly representative sample. 

7 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Half of all marriages end in divorce 

On 8/21/2016 at 10:25 AM, SoiBiker said:

I think you might just be projecting your own experiences, there - or those of the kind of people you've met here. 

Neither Thaivisa or the occupants of farang bar stools are a particularly representative sample. 

Thai Visa may be unrepresentative but it is a fact that in most of the Western world divorce rates are in the region of 50%. Historically of course couples have also stayed together because it is the done thing / for the sake of the children / fear of loss of property / fear of going it alone again.

There can therefore be little realistic doubt that the percentage of happy marriages is the minority. Observation also demonstrates this to be true, just look around you at holiday destinations and look at the older (still together couples) arguing, bickering and nagging at each other when they are meant to be enjoying themselves most.

3 minutes ago, rogeroc said:

Thai Visa may be unrepresentative but it is a fact that in most of the Western world divorce rates are in the region of 50%. Historically of course couples have also stayed together because it is the done thing / for the sake of the children / fear of loss of property / fear of going it alone again.

There can therefore be little realistic doubt that the percentage of happy marriages is the minority. Observation also demonstrates this to be true, just look around you at holiday destinations and look at the older (still together couples) arguing, bickering and nagging at each other when they are meant to be enjoying themselves most.

I think you might be projecting a little there. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/08/2016 at 7:45 AM, dick dasterdly said:

NO!

Having been married/separated for a few years (and been v happy alone)/got back together again - I can assure you that some of us are far happier without a live-in companion! :D

...well then , clearly you misread you own mind in resuming a 'relationship'.....nothing is fixed ; we are changing every nanosecond.......

• 1 month later...

Some people feel this certain void in their lives and try to deal with it by jumping from relationship to relationship "looking for love" when they are really just looking for attention. This kind of co-dependent relationship is pretty toxic and I will agree that there are a lot of people engaging in them. With all these insecurities and feelings of attachment, the rising suicide rate & divorce rate seems inevitable (and realistic)