Big Rains Coming.........

KhonKaenKowboy

The weather forecasters have been predicting heavy rains for Chiang Mai for several days but the actual date/time of arrival keeps moving out hence I just finished watering the garden!

But as long as it's raining somewhere North of me I'm happy, nothing personal of course VF but we need the reservoirs to fill, this month and next.

Weather Warning
Heavy Rain and Strong Wind Waves
No. 7 Time Issued August 14, 2016
The monsoon trough lies across Myanmar, the upper North of Thailand and Laos to the low pressure cell in upper Vietnam. The strong southwest monsoon prevails across the Andaman Sea, the South and the Gulf of Thailand. More rain is likely over Thailand, as well as heavy to very heavy rain in the North, the East and the South. Provinces include Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phayao, Nan, Phrae, Lamphun, Lampang, Tak, Uttaradit, Phetchabun, Chanthaburi, Trat, Ranong, Phangnga, Phuket, Krabi, and Trang. People should beware of the severe conditions. The strong wind waves in the Andaman Sea and the upper Gulf of Thailand are likely 2-3 meters high. All ships should proceed with caution, ...more

Source: http://www.tmd.go.th/en/

Just got back from Koh Lanta where we got the last two days of it there....Heavy rain was sporatic but heavy when it rained.....Did't affect our plans - lucky timing....

Alternate skies, you could watch the black cloud roll in bringing rain - then gone.....

Not sure whether we got part of the worst of it or not.....

Big swells on the sea.....

Edited by pgrahmm

18 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Evacuations in PAI from riverside resorts and villages yesterday/last night.If the dams are going to get topped up it better happen soon despite the problems that come with it

Down here at Mae Won it has been raining steadily since about 5 pm last night, not heavy but persistent.

Here is a link to the state of the dams in Thailand updated to this morning.

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_dam_1.php?lang=en

http://www.thaiwater.net/web/index.php/en.html

While the second link is partly in English you can look at the dams nearest you and get an idea of the status.

Edited by billd766
Added more text

The damage around Pai was apparently pretty horrendous.City Life reporting 30 riverside hotels and resorts washed away,20 cars,30 motor bikes and several bridges destroyed.

Nan apparently copped a lashing too

In our part of Hang Dong we have had nothing more than drizzle for 2 days, on and off. 10 cm into the soil its dry

It has been wetter than the last couple of years but very little of the water seems to find its way into the reservoirs that i see. This is the small one at the back 700 year stadium only one week ago. Some deep puddles are forming but they are still only puddles. Thats the only difference from May. This is a screenshot. Its not a video.

empty700res.png

Edited by CNXBKKMAN
forgot something

23 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

It has been wetter than the last couple of years but very little of the water seems to find its way into the reservoirs that i see. This is the small one at the back 700 year stadium only one week ago. Some deep puddles are forming but they are still only puddles. Thats the only difference from May. This is a screenshot. Its not a video.

empty700res.png

I think you should maybe insert  "some areas" have had more rain than last year.My rain guage is showing about 40% less than last year.The rain we have had at our place has been very misty and short lived . Heavy falls and subsequent run off are obviously not falling in the catchment areas as shown by your photo.Re the deluge in and around Pai have no idea where that finishes up as it travels south. Keep reading rain and  weather warnings for Chiang Mai in the Bangkok media, on a daily basis,but not happening as yet.

On 15/08/2016 at 6:13 PM, chiang mai said:

The problem is that the ground water levels are so low, all the rain that is falling has to replenish ground water levels before reservoirs can be filled on top.

Ain't that the truth of it !  ;)

Our three ponds are still dry, so are my BiL's two deeper fish-ponds next doors, there has been a few inches of standing-water after there were two days' heavy-rain months ago, but it just soaked-in after a couple of days.

I know  ...  I'll go and wash the car  ...   that will do the trick ! :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Ain't that the truth of it !  ;)

Our three ponds are still dry, so are my BiL's two deeper fish-ponds next doors, there has been a few inches of standing-water after there were two days' heavy-rain months ago, but it just soaked-in after a couple of days.

I know  ...  I'll go and wash the car  ...   that will do the trick ! :rolleyes:

If it's any consolation the ground water where I am is now back to the pre hot season level of around 4 metres, at the end of the previous hot season it had dropped to twelve metres during the day time, just out of reach of my pumps.

8 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

If it's any consolation the ground water where I am is now back to the pre hot season level of around 4 metres, at the end of the previous hot season it had dropped to twelve metres during the day time, just out of reach of my pumps.

Clever thought for the day  ...  I'll build-up the land near our borehole, so that the pump reaches deeper  ...  that'll work  ...  maybe ! :P

The weather stations have held their forecast for major rains beginning this evening and lasting for 24 hours, for the first time two of them are warning of tropical storm conditions - 25mm and 15 mm of rain forecast for today and tomorrow.

https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=18.790400,98.984703