Build a house on thai wife's father's land and he thinks he owns it

The OP has made it clear that the house was built a long time ago - so v odd that it looks like a building site in the area the confrontation occurred.

There's obviously a lot more to this story than we've been told.  The FIL obviously hates the OP, and it would be interesting to find out why - rather than the 'wife seriously annoyed FIL for some reason I don't know'.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, bearpolar said:

That's bullshit. I told myself the same thing over and over. My grammar in my own language is equivalent to a bad 10 years old(I failed it in school, only thing i sucked at but they always gave me the minimum mark).

You know what? I picked up books on Thai, after a week i could read.

Later i did 6 months at Wallen and im pretty proficient for someone that never practices, enough to get some kind of point across if i need to.

I've no doubt that you're pretty proficient in Thai after reading a few books/a 6 month course, and getting little practice. :lol:.

Edit - Obviously I wouldn't be as rude as to comment on your admitted lack of proficiency in your own language - even though you think you're "pretty proficient" in Thai....

Edited by dick dasterdly

3 hours ago, kannot said:

really? its law you "must" support your parents?

Yes, according to thai civil code, the children must provide their parents with a reasonable standard of income. Usually parents don't take their children to court for parental care. But they can if they want to. And parents must legally care for their children until 20. Most parents don't know how to make a will so all land is automatically inherited by the children. 

7 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

pretty sure the father in law does not interpret the law that way. twice a day they listen to a song that tells them over and over again how every inch of thailand belongs to the thais. 

Thinking about it, rather than take it through the courts, he should get his wife to post the video on her facebook page, wait for it to go viral and see how he deals with the Thai press when they get there hands on the story. Greedy old bastard.

Personally,  I find this thread to be offensive.  The OP appears to be doing nothing more then taunting his 85 year old ex father-in-law and making a video of it.

This is followed by dribbling out the facts of the situation that only continue to make the OP look worse. There is obviously a lot of untold history there with no opportunity for the ex father -in-law to explain his side.  

This is just another opportunity for the usual thai bashers to have their fun and TV to get their click bait.

The excuse to do this in order to "warn" people not to build houses on land they do not (and cannot) own is pathetic.

TH 

10 minutes ago, thaihome said:

Personally,  I find this thread to be offensive.  The OP appears to be doing nothing more then taunting his 85 year old ex father-in-law and making a video of it.

This is followed by dribbling out the facts of the situation that only continue to make the OP look worse. There is obviously a lot of untold history there with no opportunity for the ex father -in-law to explain his side.  

This is just another opportunity for the usual thai bashers to have their fun and TV to get their click bait.

The excuse to do this in order to "warn" people not to build houses on land they do not (and cannot) own is pathetic.

TH 

It makes the OP look like a ponce, trying to lay claim to some land that he has no entitlements. If that were my old Dad I would make the OP clear all his crap off the land and kick him out of there. On top of that the OP seems to be antagonizing the old man that I`m sure he would not do with his own father. Why doesn`t he take his wife to his own country and try to make a go of it there. Somehow, I don`t think this is going to end well for the OP.

3 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

It makes the OP look like a ponce, trying to lay claim to some land that he has no entitlements. If that were my old Dad I would make the OP clear all his crap off the land and kick him out of there. On top of that the OP seems to be antagonizing the old man that I`m sure he would not do with his own father. Why doesn`t he take his wife to his own country and try to make a go of it there. Somehow, I don`t think this is going to end well for the OP.

It's even worse. You missed the part where he says he has divorced the wife some time ago.

TH 

6 hours ago, hnsighttha said:

Granted, mostly us younger guys don't really read Thaivisa on a regular basis (besides check in on visa info or political highlights).

But threads like this just are hilarious.  You guys realize that this is literally one of the most common, played out jokes about the old white man in Thailand?  If it wasn't the forum it is, I'd say the OP is trolling, because ... come on.  It's like by the book.  

1. Not learn basic Thai in TEN years?  - standard whitey joke, oh poor whitey, memorizing words, it's impossible

2. Build a house (joke by itself) on some romantic interest's father's land?  - ok that's not even standard, that's super hilarious .. the only question is how bad will that get;  get out the popcorn

3. The thai chick is an ex (ha), and she's in her ... 50's?  - gold, OP, gold!

4. Threaten beating/burning/action in general - we all know old whitey never actually does anything besides titter around on forums, talking big talk.  

5.  Record oneself being a complete nozzle.  - more solid gold; solid, solid gold performance

And then the whole thread everybody says the obvious, over and over and over, "hey dude, GTFO while you can" and the guy keeps going yea, yea, maybe I'll demolish it, yea, yea, maybe, it's not my fault, the language ... just *classic* dumbassery of the highest epic quality.

Hey.  HOW you going to demolish the house?  By hiring locals with your Thai skills?  By using your charming whiles with the ladies?  By filming ... things?  By your allegiances and cunning?  Is the old man going to stand around and watch while you do it?  Will the local cops?  Will you explain to them your rationale when they show up, angry land owner in tow, all speaking Thai?

Of course OP is screwed.  He'll record himself at the train station, leaving.  Or wind up in some trench somewhere if he has an especially dumb moment.  And the world will keep turning and we'll keep shaking our heads at how very little it honestly takes to solidly take another old white man for his money.

Why bother posting?  Because this shit is *embarrassing* to the rest of us.  Making us all look like idiots.  "Hey look, there's another 'farang'".  Thanks, OP, propagating the stereotype of the dumb white guy.

(also sorry, sucks for your loss.  record more vids, and try to get out of there in one piece)

lol. Enjoy your vacation, and take notes!

49 minutes ago, ukrules said:

When you leave don't forget to take anything you have receipts for with you, I'm going to include things like concrete, wiring, breaker boards, plumbing, etc in this list.

If you have a receipt for it, it's yours.

That`s not the problem. The difficult part is how is the OP going to get all those building materials through customs at the airport, and how many suit cases is he going to need to carry it all?

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

If you burn a house down you are guilty of arson.

Under specific circumstances, most of which have been outlined above, you may be able to demolish.

I think you can burn your own house down, and provided you don't claim on an insurance company, you're OK......BUT, the house now belongs to the old man.  Too bad.

Just leave a candle burning near a curtain, or similar.

I suppose if he has it insured, he could be doing some welding, or using another spark source, and up it goes??

18 hours ago, BudRight said:

Dunning-Kruger.jpg

Not sure where you got that graph from, but there is no Nobel Prize in psychology. That had me checking, and it turns out that the authors won instead an Ig Nobel Prize, a satirical award usually given to research with trivial or obvious findings....

Two more points. No one can build a house on someone else`s land without a legal agreement and then lay claim to the land the house is built on, considering that I doubt the OP even paid his FiL 1 baht for the land.

The OP has uploaded a video defaming his FiL onto Youtube. This is a criminal offence in Thailand and if he has any common sense, he would delete it before he gets himself into even more s**t.

The OP is in the wrong on all counts, legally and morally. No one is going to be on his side.

19 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Two more points. No one can build a house on someone else`s land without a legal agreement and then lay claim to the land the house is built on, considering that I doubt the OP even paid his FiL 1 baht for the land.

The OP has uploaded a video defaming his FiL onto Youtube. This is a criminal offence in Thailand and if he has any common sense, he would delete it before he gets himself into even more s**t.

The OP is in the wrong on all counts, legally and morally. No one is going to be on his side.

No defamation in the YouTube post, just a simple video.

I think people are being a bit harsh on the OP. It was pretty decent of him to fork out cash to build a house for his wife in the knowledge that he has few rights over the property. That's not the act of a 'bad' person. 

Clearly it has not worked out as planned, and I appreciate the post because it just reinforces my belief that this is not a country I would ever spend more money in than I need to. If the post saves a few people in the future from a bad outcome, it has done its job.

5 hours ago, thaihome said:

TH 

I agree and where is the house?

10 years in Thailand and can only say mai naam mai naam???

I have built and through my Thai Company owned three homes. Just bought a shophouse recently.  Never had a problem.  Doubt I ever will. Use a great lawyer. Really know all the ins and outs of it. There are many. But it's never worried me. Company has no nominees and for me there are really no worries. No lost sleep.

To the OP. So how about some photos of where the old conger lives now?.

What's the ex wives role in this.

What's the real, honest complete story? For me an ex is like dog poop I have stepped in and prefer to throw the shoes and pants I was wearing away after the scrapping.  Then start fresh and unencumbered. What gives? Why grasp and hold on?

49 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I think people are being a bit harsh on the OP. It was pretty decent of him to fork out cash to build a house for his wife in the knowledge that he has few rights over the property. That's not the act of a 'bad' person. 

Clearly it has not worked out as planned, and I appreciate the post because it just reinforces my belief that this is not a country I would ever spend more money in than I need to. If the post saves a few people in the future from a bad outcome, it has done its job.

It has nothing to do with the country. It's about building a house on your father in law's land, getting a divorce and then being upset when you you find out its his house.  Try that anywhere and see what happens. Oh, and don't forget to go back and video the old man telling you to get off his land and you refusing to leave.

TH 

16 minutes ago, thaihome said:

It has nothing to do with the country. It's about building a house on your father in law's land, getting a divorce and then being upset when you you find out its his house.  Try that anywhere and see what happens. Oh, and don't forget to go back and video the old man telling you to get off his land and you refusing to leave.

TH 

You seem more upset than the OP?

What I see is someone who shelled out money building a house, which I presume is a of a better standard than anything that was built before on that land, only to find that the in-laws turn out not to be particularly grateful. It's a salutary lesson to anyone who might be contemplating doing something similar ... especially during a period of weakness, when the heart is ruling the head. In Thailand, best to lead with the head, and never the heart. 

You are too harsh on the OP, he's made a mistake but is gracious enough to let others learn from it. 

My story of common sense that the OP and others like him should heed.

I have been with my Thai girlfriend for a long time now. We live in her brother`s house located on her family`s big land in Chiang Mai. I pay good rent money to live in that house, probably well above the odds a Thai would pay and I like it that way because it means I am of value to them and they would not evict me lightly, more power to me, although still not costing me a fortune, it`s a lovely 3 bedroom house, and because it belongs to the girlfriend`s family we can more or less do what we like, no landlord lying down rules and restrictions with tenancy contracts, so I have no complaints. In fact her mother spends more time with us in our house than in her own house, but she`s a lovely lady and I get on with the family just fine.

My girlfriend and her family have tried to nag me into us actually getting married, buying her brother`s house and some land and lum yai land so as we can all live happily ever after. But I point blank refuse, because I have to ask; what`s in it for me?

I am a retiree and have no need to be married to a Thai spouse to stay in Thailand. I don`t care how many other posters have said; buying land and property is a doddle here, because I simply do not believe it. Once married and start throwing my money into what is a total non investment for me, then it becomes a case where everyone else benefits and I`m the only one who stands to lose big time from the deal if the relationship turns sour, wife dies or for some reasons my girlfriend`s family and I fall out. I told them I would happily get married and buy the land and house if I can obtain a rock solid agreement that I own equal shares of everything with my wife and no one could ever throw me off. But I know this cannot be archived for a Farlang in Thailand.

As in the majority of cases regarding Farlangs who have Thai wives or girlfriends, it`s usually the Farlangs that have income or money and make the investments on behalf of their Thai partners. In my case the girlfriend relies on me for financial support and without that she would probably have to go and work on a noodle stall or find some other type of crap job to support herself. I guess most Farlangs are in the same situation. But once the Farlang starts investing money into something on trust, believing he`ll never be let down or s**t on by his Thai family, is when he leaves himself vulnerable as only he stands to lose.

The prats that fall head over heels in love and to prove their love think that by showering their princesses with homes, vehicles and becoming the family banker will seal the deal for ever after really cracks me up. Throughout my whole life my ideals has been, always hold the trump card, be independent and never rely on the kindness and charity of others. So far this has paid off for me. Sometimes the Thais say to me; you vely rich, have a lot of money. And I also reply, yes I do and I intend keeping it.

12 hours ago, AlexRich said:

This is why outside of the govt and lack of education of locals on 2016 knowledge, most people hate expats the most.

Yes, OP is a bit of a dumbass for not learning Thai and for choosing family's land to build(even if he planned on staying with his ex-wife forever, they could of bought a piece of land from the father and kept it in her name or the kid's name)

but OP isnt a retarded human, isnt a shitty human, isnt a wasted breath.. He's still a normal person who's just a bit of a dumbass.. we all have areas where we are dumbasses.

IMO those who are bashing into OP are simply sad sack of potatoes that should never have been born into the west, they should have been switched with a starving African.