Buying an apartment for rental purposes as investment

59 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

This is not even a question of work permit.

In Thailand you are not allowed to rent your unit on AirBnB. The building simply won't allow it and may call the police on you and your "guests". I have seen many buildings with notices warning potential AirBnB "guests" that the building is not a hotel and anyone staying there could be prosecuted. This is in Bangkok, BTW.

A condo is not a hotel.  Isn't this statement true?

On 8/15/2016 at 3:47 PM, coxo said:

My Thailand property gives me a better return than my Aus property, unless you own property here you are not qualified to comment period as you don't know, you do not need a work permit to own and rent a condo on a permanent rental basis using an agent, the annual fee's work out at one months rent.

Post back after you've gone through the full cycle, including selling the property when you're not renting it out any more.  I can make a 50% return on an investment.  Just not for very long.  And the residual value won't look good, either.

Your Thai investment may pay out better than a Aus investment, but we won't know until the entire cycle is complete.

Edited by impulse

There seems to be hundreds (thousands?) of condos available to rent in Bangkok/Sukhumvit, many multiple units in each building.  And more being built?  Is it really that easy to achieve rental returns here?  Isn't there a vast oversupply right now?

37 minutes ago, TacoGuy said:

There seems to be hundreds (thousands?) of condos available to rent in Bangkok/Sukhumvit, many multiple units in each building.  And more being built?  Is it really that easy to achieve rental returns here?  Isn't there a vast oversupply right now?

Look at what's being launched and built again and again...

That's the kind of space that is in serious oversupply.

For the past ten years, what kind of space has little or no new supply?

That's where investment opportunities lie.

15 hours ago, trogers said:

Are you speaking in riddles Master Trogers?  No idea what you are on about.  I'm simply asking how everyone on here who has a condo is getting a good yield, when there appears to be hundreds of continually vacant condos all over central Bangkok.

18 hours ago, trogers said:

Does your agent take care of AirBnB rentals?

3 hours ago, TacoGuy said:

Are you speaking in riddles Master Trogers?  No idea what you are on about.  I'm simply asking how everyone on here who has a condo is getting a good yield, when there appears to be hundreds of continually vacant condos all over central Bangkok.

I presume he means there are thousands of small 1 beds and studios being constructed.

There is relatvely short supply of proper sized units. 2 & 3 bed decent sized units in good locations for families.

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

I presume he means there are thousands of small 1 beds and studios being constructed.

There is relatvely short supply of proper sized units. 2 & 3 bed decent sized units in good locations for families.

Correct. And even if some of these shoebox developments have some 2&3-bedroom units, they are not conducive for young kids, passing the lobby and meeting ladies of the night...

5 hours ago, trogers said:

Correct. And even if some of these shoebox developments have some 2&3-bedroom units, they are not conducive for young kids, passing the lobby and meeting ladies of the night...

Condos are intrinsically unsuitable for children. They should be banned as pets are.

No, but you have to ask yourself what sort of investment, property or otherwise, 130k would buy you in your home country, somewhere that is regulated and where your investment is protected under law AND, more importantly, isn't an oversupplied commodity.

What? I30 k won't even buy you a parking spot in most major western cities in LOL

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, mcfish said:

What? I30 k won't even buy you a parking spot in most major western cities in LOL

There's thousands of potential rental properties available, even in the UK, at that price - you wouldn't be buying in London but it's still easily done.

There's thousands of potential rental properties available, even in the UK, at that price - you wouldn't be buying in London but it's still easily done.

That's the point though. How can you compare London with some country town?

3 hours ago, trogers said:

Apparently you have not stayed in condos designed for families.

This is an oxymoron as condo buildings are intrinsically unsuitable for families, as they are for pets. Pets and children belong in detached dwellings with private open areas in which they can make their obligatory noise and mess. And ideally such dwellings should be in segregated compounds far from normal people.

This is good planning and sensible design. Apparently neither is known in Thailand.

Edited by KittenKong

15 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

This is an oxymoron as condo buildings are intrinsically unsuitable for families, as they are for pets. Pets and children belong in detached dwellings with private open areas in which they can make their obligatory noise and mess. And ideally such dwellings should be in segregated compounds far from normal people.

This is good planning and sensible design. Apparently neither is known in Thailand.

Wrong. I see pet owning families and friends with their grand kids living and playing happily only 5 mins walk from Emquatier.

30 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Ouch !!! Someone's shooting duds .