Thai govt accused of exploiting bombings for political ends 

webfact

Thai junta accused of exploiting bombings for political ends 
GRANT PECK, Associated Press

BANGKOK (AP) — Critics of Thailand's military government accused it on Sunday of taking advantage of last week's spate of deadly bombings and arson attacks to crack down on its opponents.

The United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship, better known as the Red Shirts, issued their criticism as Thai authorities said they were keeping security high after attacks Thursday and Friday killed four people — all Thai — and wounded dozens in seven tourist destinations. Injured foreigners came from Austria, Germany, Italy and the Netherlands.

Reports by Thai PBS television and other media said at least three people identified as Red Shirt leaders or supporters have been detained since Saturday at army camps, apparently for questioning about the attacks.

All were reported to have been held under special laws enacted by the junta after it seized power in May 2014 from an elected government. Article 44 and other laws allow the temporary detention of suspects without due process or accountability.

Officials have hinted that political opponents of the junta were responsible for the attacks, but Thai and foreign terrorism experts have suggested they were carried out by Muslim separatists from southern Thailand. It is widely understood that the authorities were casting suspicion upon supporters of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who include the Red Shirts.

The Sunday before the attacks, a national referendum approved a new constitution proposed by the military government that is supposed to lead to an election next year. The Red Shirts were among the critics of the charter, calling it undemocratic and saying it was fashioned to keep the military in control for at least five more years even if a free election is held.

"Deliberately causing chaos that would give the NCPO an excuse to keep control and sovereignty for a longer time, and it is not the way to solve any problems of this country," the Red Shirts said in a statement Sunday. The junta's official name is the National Council for Peace and Order.

"They accuse us of being responsible for the violent acts without any evidence or claim to support the accusations. Their intent is to destroy their competitors so that support would be given to a government that came into power from force," the statement said.

The tactics of the bombers were similar to those used in Thailand's deep south, where a low-level Muslim separatist insurgency has killed more than 5,000 people since 2004. Several experts have speculated that southern militants could be using the attacks to pressure the government for concessions in on-again, off-again peace talks.

Anthony Davis, a writer for Jane's Defence Weekly, told The Associated Press that the Patani-Malay National Revolutionary Front separatist group was the sole opposition force that could carry out such a well-planned, well-coordinated operation in Thailand's southern region.

With the Red Shirt movement being closely monitored by the security forces, "the theory that they could have organized such a complex operation under the noses of the military government makes no sense," he said.

He added that if the supposed motive was anger over the recent referendum outcome, "the planning and preparation for these attacks would have had to take place within three days. And that makes even less sense."

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-08-15

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red Shirts say there not involved, but then they threaten to sue anyone if they said they did. This is a Thaksin Policy!

The Red Shirts need to put on there girly panties and stop threatening to sue people. If there not involved it will come out!

This is Thai Politics! Most of the time a joke on it's people!

Well the government really doesn't need to exploit the bombings as they have had the boot on the throat of the Thai people for a few years now and can keep moving the goal posts anytime they want to avoid an election but it is an excuse to flex their superiority and detain opponents.

All the rest is just pure speculation but for the junta lovers who let Yingluck live rent free in their heads it's pure heaven.

1 hour ago, tomwct said:

Red Shirts say there not involved, but then they threaten to sue anyone if they said they did. This is a Thaksin Policy!

The Red Shirts need to put on there girly panties and stop threatening to sue people. If there not involved it will come out!

They don't have the power of media control and a podium in case you didn't notice. The regime stifles voices in case you didn't notice. This isn't politics at all. This is something I can't post here because of censorship. There is not freedom or even truth in Thailand these days. Those without voices have to use whatever means they can to fight the propaganda to defend the truth.

Every cloud has a silver lining.    We know already that tourism and the economy won't suffer because of the bombings,   nothing ever affects tourism,    but it does give a heaven sent excuse to tighten control even more so we shouldn't be surprised at what happens especially regular use of Art 44.

Plus it's already been announced it will remain in place until a new administration takes over.   When and if that ever takes place.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

1 hour ago, tomwct said:

You have this the wrong way round.  This approach was almost never used under Taksin. It has increased massively under the current regime.  The opposition are exploiting one of the few avenues the dictatorship leaves open to them.

2 hours ago, tomwct said:

So they stop threatening to sue anyone in accordance with your wishes and then you come on here and say 'Of course they have! How could they have any evidence considering they are guilty as sin'. No matter what they do you would be after them for it.

41 minutes ago, futsukayoi said:

You have this the wrong way round.  This approach was almost never used under Taksin. It has increased massively under the current regime.  The opposition are exploiting one of the few avenues the dictatorship leaves open to them.

For now...

2 hours ago, The stuttering parrot said:

Well the government really doesn't need to exploit the bombings as they have had the boot on the throat of the Thai people for a few years now and can keep moving the goal posts anytime they want to avoid an election but it is an excuse to flex their superiority and detain opponents.

All the rest is just pure speculation but for the junta lovers who let Yingluck live rent free in their heads it's pure heaven.

Yep, my educated guess, self inflicting sacrificial damage to stay in power 4rver....

2 hours ago, Alive said:

I'd also bet the regime wants to use these bombings to cover the economic failure of its regime. They'll say the bad economy is not them, it's because of the bombs.

Might the world economy slowdown, perhaps, be the reason for the slowdown of Thailand's economy.

Governments, in general, have very little influence on the economy.

56 minutes ago, baboon said:

So they stop threatening to sue anyone in accordance with your wishes and then you come on here and say 'Of course they have! How could they have any evidence considering they are guilty as sin'. No matter what they do you would be after them for it.

Its a Thaksin policy even if guilty sue whoever says otherwise, soit just does not mean its not true.

The guy makes some nice points about the insurgents (and I still feel they are the most likely one to have done it but I don't rule out the red shirts until there is proof. The guy does seem a bit bias .. if the referendum was the cause they only had 3 days to plan. (stupid reason) Because you can plan in the event of, and then give a go to a plan or not if that event happens. Also saying they can't have done it because they were under watch.. do you think the insurgents are not under watch too ? 

Someone said what would Thaksin do if his back is against the wall.. now this new constitution pretty much destroys his chances to come back. So that could be a reason. But then would the others follow his orders or see its just vengeance and bad for the country and not obey.

Point is we can find reasons for both sides to do it but without proof.. its just that speculations. So I am going to wait and see (IF) they solve it or not and if the evidence is compelling or not.  

For those saying this is pure heaven because I like the junta (just dislike them less than the alternative). I doubt that the bombings were heaven for anyone with a sound mind that includes most junta supporters and most red supporters (extremist excluded).  The government is in full power and needs no false flag operations. It needs a good economy far more and this does not promote a good economy. 

3 hours ago, tomwct said:

suing each other is the very hear of thainess. it is what the whole system is based on. you cant expect thais to stop being thai.

3 hours ago, The stuttering parrot said:

well put, a boot on the throat of the thai people. now the govt has a chance to leave article 44 running for as long as they want. if i was going to bet i would put money on the reds doing the bombing however it is hard to say for sure.

The bombings and arsons in so many different locations will need some long elaborate planning and coordination. The junta being military people should have the smart to know that an operation like this cannot be carried out just 4-5 days after the referendum result. What a bunch of agenda driven idiots. 

4 hours ago, tomwct said:

Thaksin policy, Thaksin policy, Thaksin policy

pathetic

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

Might the world economy slowdown, perhaps, be the reason for the slowdown of Thailand's economy.

Governments, in general, have very little influence on the economy.

The global slowdown didn't seem to affect the economies of Vietnam, Indonesia, Cambodia and even Laos. They seem to attract massive amount of foreign investment while Thailand gets almost nothing. Let's face it that governments can do a lot to influence the economy but the junta government is not the usual government that is elected and has competent ministers not generals. 

2 hours ago, futsukayoi said:

"This approach was almost never used under Taksin"

I beg to differ, it was almost a running-joke back then, that anyone who criticised the PM or his government would be threatened with a billion-baht libel case.

4 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

"This approach was almost never used under Taksin"

I beg to differ, it was almost a running-joke back then, that anyone who criticised the PM or his government would be threatened with a billion-baht libel case.

if someone had the time, I don't, I'm sure the data would show far, far less libel cases back then than under the Military Junta

either way this litigious atmosphere is toxic and the Junta don't need libel cases they just take you away 

I wonder how case conferences for situations like this go   :

Senior Officer   :   What evidence do we have and where is it pointing   ?

Subordinate      :   Where do you want it to point   ?

Senior Officer   :   Ok let's implicate ... !

Subordinate      :   Consider it done.    Sir when will the reward payout come   ?

" With the Red Shirt movement being closely monitored by the security forces, "the theory that they could have organized such a complex operation under the noses of the military government makes no sense," he said. "

I don't see how this is a complex operation. Any person can build bombs by searching for info online. Its not as if all these materials are hard to come by. Heck you can even find Al Queada training manuals online .... With the recent bombing it can only suggest that a large group of people was in on the act together. It could very well be the southern terrorist or even political actions for both sides of the spectrum.

16 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

if someone had the time, I don't, I'm sure the data would show far, far less libel cases back then than under the Military Junta

either way this litigious atmosphere is toxic and the Junta don't need libel cases they just take you away 

I don't have that much time... But you did arouse my curiosity

image.png

1 minute ago, farcanell said:

I don't have that much time... But you did arouse my curiosity

image.png

That's good that the system, back then, was throwing out vexatious defamation cases. Now they cannot report on anything, however TRUE, without a case

8 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

That's good that the system, back then, was throwing out vexatious defamation cases. Now they cannot report on anything, however TRUE, without a case

Wait... Wait... I only got one side in the above.... Here's a snippet that perhaps supports your origional ascertation. ( coupled with LM law use etc.... Complete support of ascertation even)

or or perhaps it's just their all in one "face saving " methodology

image.png

28 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

I wonder how case conferences for situations like this go   :

Senior Officer   :   What evidence do we have and where is it pointing   ?

Subordinate      :   Where do you want it to point   ?

Senior Officer   :   Ok let's implicate ... !

Subordinate      :   Consider it done.    Sir when will the reward payout come   ?

Stalin: We have to find who did this.

Beria: Show me the man and I will show you the crime connected with him