My pickup is nearly 2 yrs old. Tires...

My beloved pickup is nearly 2 yrs old. When is it necessary to change all 4 tires?

Obviously I realise that it will depend on how much mileage and general wear and tear. I noticed one of my tires deflates very easily and one of them has more tire tread wear than the others. On average, when should one generally replace them? What is the best brand to buy if Im not really doing any 4WD driving as such. 

thanks

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tread life depends alot on the manufacturer and type of tread design.

One sure fire way to maximize your tread life is to have the tires rotated every 6K-8K kms and to make sure your air pressure is at recommended psi. 

The tire with the slow leak can often be repaired by pulling it off the wheel and having the rim inspected around the contact points and the shop will also confirm the valve stem is seated properly. 

If you are running on pavement and not off-road then a highway tire with a tread design to dispell water will give you a quieter ride and longer tread life....but won't have that macho look.

I had a.V-Cross for 3+ years ...squealled from day one on full lock. Dealer basically said ...buy some good tyres and it won't... gave that a miss.

Tyres were much less than half worn ...50K+ kms ... when I sold it.

Like one guy said, rotate the tires especially if 4 wheel drive.  I do my regular near my house it takes 10 minutes and 40-60 baht.  What I noticed here is when the tread starts to wear down or due to age the sidewall starts to crack because of the hot weather one has to check and put air more often  If you take your vehicle to a local shop and have it clean ask them not to spray solvent on your tire walls to make it shine. Whatever they use I noticed it causes cracking on my sidewall. Same with my motorbike I noticed whatever they were using took the color off my paint after a year.  If there isn't a clear leak then check the stem, I noticed and experience leaking from the stem needle and had them replaced and the leak stopped

Personally, the best tired I've ever purchased in the U.S. for my Jeep and F-150, and here for my Toyota has been the B.F. Goodridge,  the tread design and dept, tread wear is outstanding. In the States, I average 35-40,000 on a set, here my current set I've had for three years and still going.

A old fashion method to check tire when one should get ready to get a new set is take a coin, there should be a person on that coin take the coin and stick it into the tread if you can see the top of the head on the coin time to change.

Edited by thailand49
add more information

Good info on rotation of tyres, 

pour first set was under 40,000 km no rotation, due to low tread. 

the second set  are at 50,000+ with plenty of tread depth left. 

The difference is a 5 wheel /10,000km tyre rotation.

also there are wear indicators in the main body of the tyres tread that are more important than sidewall triangles 

My Thai BIL borrowed our pickup (without permission) - got the keys from grandma when we were overseas.

It had fairly new front tyres.

He tried to do a quick U-turn and rolled the pickup. (2 years old Toyota 4WD turbo twin cab)

He probably wasn't used to the traction available.

And I don't think he was sober at the time .. so that may explain it ..:bah:

I have a 2012 Isuzu with original tires (I think Bridgestone)  I only drive slowly short distances perhaps 75,000 kilometers to date.

I rotate the tires and check the air.

The tread looks fine but the dealer said that the tires are old enough that they should be changed regardless of tread wear.

This sounded strange but possible.

Any thoughts?

I don't know about tyres in Thailand, but in Australia, tyres have 'witness' ridges netween the tread bars.  When the tread wears to the level of these ridges, tyres MUST be replaced.

Of course, there are other factors that come into play, under/over inflation wear, sidewall cracks, etc., that may require earlier replacement.

6 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

I don't know about tyres in Thailand, but in Australia, tyres have 'witness' ridges netween the tread bars.  When the tread wears to the level of these ridges, tyres MUST be replaced.

Of course, there are other factors that come into play, under/over inflation wear, sidewall cracks, etc., that may require earlier replacement.

They are called tread wear indicators.

tyre.jpg

Mine don't squeal at all, the old sh-t bridgestone duellers did though, a crap tyre! In my opinion tyres only last 2 to 3 years max due to the heat and the rubber going hard, on my road bike 18 months max regardless of tread and they are replaced.

On 16/08/2016 at 4:16 PM, JaseTheBass said:

If they're Bridgestone Duellers, 2 years is about it before they go hard and have poor traction. You can tell as it squeals going round any sharp corner.

I had duellers on 2 new MU7 Izuzu both sets squealed and refused to stop when braking in the wet. Changed to Pirellis problem solved

Due to the heat you should consider changing tyres after three years or when the tyres are worn according to correct measurement (not by eyesight alone). We have 2 vehicles, the one we only use in town and never go over 60 km/hour. On this vehicle we change the tyres over every 10 000 km and go until the tread is getting worn. On our travelling vehicle we change the tyres over every 10 000 km and put new ones on every 3 years or when the tread is getting worn out. At low speed the effect of older harder rubber tyres are minimal.

2 minutes ago, FredNL said:

Change tires? Why? Thai love driving on slicks..

They change them when the canvas is coming through.

Interestingly, maybe, is that thrucking companies have shown a drop in fuel economy when old "slick" tread has been replaced with new tirese.....

Just not a great idea with standing water on pavement found so often here ;-)

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

They are called tread wear indicators.

tyre.jpg

Thanks Don Mega.   I think I knew that that, but reverted to my old industry term, in which whenever there was a mark of any kind that needed to be noted, it was called a 'witness mark'.

Tread Wear Indicator seems to be much more appropriate in describing the ridges.

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

also there are wear indicators in the main body of the tyres tread that are more important than sidewall triangles 

the sidewall triangles simply show you where on the main tire body to find the wear indicators...

28 minutes ago, oxo1066 said:

I rarely reply to posts on here but please are you for real asking for information on wear for your tyres for your pick up, unbelievable, but I guess not.

The OP didn't ask about wear on his tyres, he asked when he should replace them.

If you read all the threads, you'd realise that in Thailand the rubber becomes hard and cracks after a certain period of time and is unrelated to mileage. Other factors such as the make and quality also have an effect.

I think the OP asked a reasonable question.

As foreigners we tend to look at changing tyres from a safety aspect, where a Thai will only replace tyres when it becomes a necessity.

Edited by Faz
Correct spelling

4 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Like one guy said, rotate the tires especially if 4 wheel drive.  I do my regular near my house it takes 10 minutes and 40-60 baht.  What I noticed here is when the tread starts to wear down or due to age the sidewall starts to crack because of the hot weather one has to check and put air more often  If you take your vehicle to a local shop and have it clean ask them not to spray solvent on your tire walls to make it shine. Whatever they use I noticed it causes cracking on my sidewall. Same with my motorbike I noticed whatever they were using took the color off my paint after a year.  If there isn't a clear leak then check the stem, I noticed and experience leaking from the stem needle and had them replaced and the leak stopped

Personally, the best tired I've ever purchased in the U.S. for my Jeep and F-150, and here for my Toyota has been the B.F. Goodridge,  the tread design and dept, tread wear is outstanding. In the States, I average 35-40,000 on a set, here my current set I've had for three years and still going.

A old fashion method to check tire when one should get ready to get a new set is take a coin, there should be a person on that coin take the coin and stick it into the tread if you can see the top of the head on the coin time to change.

A US  Penny is the only coin that works as you suggest.

1 hour ago, F4UCorsair said:

Thanks Don Mega.   I think I knew that that, but reverted to my old industry term, in which whenever there was a mark of any kind that needed to be noted, it was called a 'witness mark'.

Tread Wear Indicator seems to be much more appropriate in describing the ridges.

Never heard of a witness mark used to describe tire wear indicators.  This term is more commonly used in the disassembly of critical parts, so when reassembled they are in the same location or position.