British Mum in Coma After 'Something She Ate in Pattaya'

webfact

Many people are allergic to peanuts. I'm not saying she was or that the food contained peanut traces BUT how often in Thailand do you see a warning on food labels or menus that it may contain traces of peanut. Peanut can kill people with this allergy. Maybe (note I say maybe) she had an allergy to something else unspecified in the food. It does sound to me from the limited details, like an allergy related problem, hence nobody else got sick.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

>What concerns me is she collapsed, in hospital, and yet she suffered a lack of oxygen for 11 minutes, what were the doctors doing, or not doing<.

Being  ambulanced to a hospital  due to a debilitative  condition presented initially  for a sore throat  and then suddenly  multiple  siezures.. ( heart or  epileptic ? ) emergency action which  may have included  CPR initially  and/ or defibrillation following heart arrest could  easily be beyond the threshold of oxygen depletion of the  brain and not due to any lack of  effort by  medical staff.

The initial symptoms may be caused by  any number of sources including exposure before travel, during, or after arrival in Thailand.

Speculation is  void considering there is  no  specific detail as  to cause.

All that can or should be expressed is  some sympathy  for the  husband .

I have been treated myself at this hospital and was less than impressed. Also a friend was taken there unconscious after a fall, again less than impressed. Will say no more.

20 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

A woman her age would likely know if she was allergic to peanuts and her husband would have immediately identified her reaction.

Besides that, if you have seen someone with this allergy the response is quite immediate.

Allergies are not all peanut related, and are often not detected until you have a reaction to the particular allergen.

As I said in a previous post, it can happen at any stage in your life.

1 minute ago, Chapelroad said:

Allergies are not all peanut related, and are often not detected until you have a reaction to the particular allergen.

As I said in a previous post, it can happen at any stage in your life.

I have heard of bee sting reactions beginning at any stage of life but not peanut.

but I do understand what you are saying.

1 hour ago, Yann55 said:

I find you very patient and civilized, Thaidream, to reply so cooly and matter-of-factly to Mcfish's incredibly rude and idiotic comment on your earlier post. You made it very clear on your post that the food poisonings you'd been through in Thailand occured in restaurants, and he then suggested you had poor hygiene ... It's something that often bothers me on this Forum : people reacting - sometimes in a very unpleasant manner - to a post they obviously haven't really read, or understood. They'll take the time to write, but not the time to read. I guess these Narcissus types read only their own posts.

The implication by the hospital to the press is that the woman was "allergic" to something.......... and we have to assume she was unaware of this either that she had the allergy or that she had consumed something she was allergic to. It would e nice if this was claified.

as for food poisoning - I think most people get the wrong end of the stick when it comes to how we get food poisoning and like to blame the last meal they had.....what they fail to take into account is that for a vast number of people  "bad stomach" or other food poisonings are in fact self-administered by hand to mouth contact......that for instance is why smoking is banned in kitchens - the fag-ash is unlikely to harm you but  hand-to-mouth - oh dear...tsk! tsk! tsk!

Many people often allude to some of their friends getting sick at the same time and fail to realise that they may have been the "contagious" source themselves.

4 minutes ago, Siamwhiteelephant said:

CPR provides oxygen rich blood flowing to the brain so as to avoid brain damage. There are serious questions to be asked about her brain being starved of oxygen for 11 minutes while in emergency care at hospital.  On the face of that, I wouldn't have thought that could happen.

Do you know the actual success rate of CPR ?

5 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Do you know the actual success rate of CPR ?

By the success rate I suppose you mean statistics of rescusitation success. I wasn't referring to that, only about oxygenated blood flow. In her case, she wasn't the victim of traumatic injury, which often can be the reason for CPR failure.

3 minutes ago, Siamwhiteelephant said:

By the success rate I suppose you mean statistics of rescusitation success. I wasn't referring to that, only about oxygenated blood flow. In her case, she wasn't the victim of traumatic injury, which often can be the reason for CPR failure.

And I would say that these news articles should never be taken verbatim. 

For instance, the 11 minutes reported could very likely be how long her heart was stopped and not have anything to do with whether CPR was or was not administered.

it appears to be a favorite past time amongst the chronically bored here in Thailand to hang arounf TVF and pick apart every bit of minutia trying to find something to blame Thais and Thailand about. Possibly to vent their anger and self-loathing for being trapped somewhere they obviously despise. 

I am not suggesting this describes you in any way. I appreciate your posts. 

Just wondering if she ate from the Hotel?

Ive had more bad guts from hotel food than any of the hundreds of street stalls I've eaten from.

Ive been told many hotels re-heat their already cooked food stock, unlike the stalls where the food is mostly freshly cooked.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 2:44 PM, Siamwhiteelephant said:

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 2:46 PM, Siamwhiteelephant said:

There's no mention of her receiving CPR. If she didn't, I wonder why and vica versa for if she did and it wasn't mentioned.

People need spend some time in any emergency unit in any hospital in  the world and witness reality ! 

Unlike TV scenes  where  medical magic  occurs the medical convention on prolonged efforts to resuscitate is usually limited. Yes, it is  very possible rescus can be achieved  but the prognosis for a  happy result is contradictory to  reality.

I personally have seen the result of eventually successful CPR continued  for  4 hours on an infant drowning  victim.

Those  responsible  for that  should be reminded every week of a  non resident  life -form.:(

CPR is  certainly  not limited  to trauma injury. In fact is  most  often applied  to victims of a heart  arrest due to various cause.

Epilectic seizures of an extreme onset  can cause death by  coronary overload stress.

Stroke  victims usually retain both pulseand respitory  function to various degrees and  CPR is  not relevant. Decoagulation to prevent  blood clots arriving at the  heart and thus  causing cardiact arrest  are  of primary  consideration.

Modern medicine is  capable of  many things  but organic physical health is a variable creating  limitations.

Similarly intellectual comprehension of that reality.

On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 6:56 AM, tomwct said:

Why would anyone choose Pattaya for a holiday? Not me! I hope she recovers!

People holiday in Pattaya for many good reasons.  The  beaches that surround the area- the nearby islands- the surrounding country side- the temples-wats and splendid Buddha's- the attractions- the nightlife- the restaurants- the wide range of hotels-the bars and pubs- the go go bars- the seafood- the music- the weekly events on beach Rd including parades, cooking competitions, firework displays, pipe bands, charity events, the disco, clubs, the energy-people watching, cheap transport-the fun - the list is endless! So now you know why millions of  people holiday in Pattaya.