Russian loses life in red flag zone swim at Karon Beach

webfact

Russian loses life in red flag zone swim at Karon Beach

Phuket Gazette

rus.jpeg       

Beach goers look on as lifeguards attempt to resuscitate a Russian man who went swimming in the red flag zone at Karon Beach. Photo: Third Naval Area Command

PHUKET: -- A Russian man was pronounced dead shortly after lifeguards at Karon Beach pulled his unconscious body from the surf yesterday morning.

Lifeguards reported that the 50-year-old man, identified as Sergey, entered the water in the red flag no-swimming zone at the beach and disappeared in the surf about 11am.

“It took a while for the lifeguards to locate the man after he went under because of the strong waves,” said Phuket Lifeguard Club chief Uten Singsom yesterday.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Russian-loses-life-red-flag-zone-swim/65392?desktopversion

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-08-15

...do they only appear after the fact...

...they saw him entering the water...and said and did nothing...???

..millions of people come here....

...either man the beaches or close them....

...this is depraved....

4 minutes ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...this is depraved....

What's 'depraved' about it when people enter the water with red flags flying and the visual of rough water. Many cases where these 'swimmers' were told not to swim ....

7 minutes ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...this is depraved....

I do not know these circumstances but I have seen lifeguards stationed about every 400 meters at times. 

At such distances a lifeguard can see someone enter the water but not be near enough to have a verbal discussion. 

I have seen lifeguards blow a whistle from 50 meters and the swimmer cannot hear over the surf.

I still do not understand why forum members who have been here for years still pick apart a news story as if it is a complete and detailed explanation of the circumstances when it is often written by someone who is not fluent in English.

3 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

What's 'depraved' about it when people enter the water with red flags flying and the visual of rough water. Many cases where these 'swimmers' were told not to swim ....

Absolutely, signs and flags everywhere not to mention huge waves and people probably with no rough sea knowledge go swimming. 

That's three within the last few days. 

I recently spoke to some lifeguards on the beach at Patong and for the few hours I was there they were kept totally busy (running up and down the beach - sending boats out) trying to get people to swim between the patrol flags! Even though there were red flags flying and "No Swimming" signs ,masses of people chose to ignore them. Unfortunately some people are just dumb asses! And some are dead dumb asses!

I kept thinking that I hope anyone swimming between the patrol flags doesn't get into trouble because the life guards are so busy with idiots elsewhere. :(

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

I still do not understand why forum members who have been here for years still pick apart a news story as if it is a complete and detailed explanation of the circumstances when it is often written by someone who is not fluent in English.

Maybe because if they are going to write news in English it might be a good idea to know how to do it, correctly and thoroughly.

1 hour ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...they saw him entering the water...and said and did nothing...?

why? this  apparently was  suicide; and: Nobody is one's brother's keeper if that brother is totally ignorant, daft about his environment (red flag)

If people choose to ignore the red flags and put others at risk i have no sympathy for them. I saw a guy with a toddler on his shoulders in the sea the other day with waves crashing around him. I tried to warn him and he just gave me the finger. People just ignore the lifeguards - I see it almost every day.

5 hours ago, thurien said:

why? this  apparently was  suicide; and: Nobody is one's brother's keeper if that brother is totally ignorant, daft about his environment (red flag)

Source? or just speculation?

The day before the drowning I was sitting on the beach and said "Someone will drown very soon". I was right. Not too hard to predict considering the sea conditions and the tourists insistence on disregarding the lifeguards. Thanks to the lifeguards who are doing their best to keep people safe.  

19 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Maybe because if they are going to write news in English it might be a good idea to know how to do it, correctly and thoroughly.

Personally, I think you need to learn Thai correctly & thoroughly.

Myself...I am happy that someone takes the time to write and print any of these news articles...ofcourse I am smart enough to know there will be a few errors.

12 minutes ago, csabo said:

The day before the drowning I was sitting on the beach and said "Someone will drown very soon". I was right. Not too hard to predict considering the sea conditions and the tourists insistence on disregarding the lifeguards. Thanks to the lifeguards who are doing their best to keep people safe.  

Said much the same on the morning of the drowning while walking with my wife along Kata beach. The waves were ferocious, all white water.  

On 8/16/2016 at 1:07 PM, ClutchClark said:

Personally, I think you need to learn Thai correctly & thoroughly.

Myself...I am happy that someone takes the time to write and print any of these news articles...ofcourse I am smart enough to know there will be a few errors.

And if my job was to write the news in Thai I would be professional enough to do so. But there are plenty out there who are happy to accept lower standards, especially once they arrive in Thailand and let things slip. Or maybe they've already let their standards drop and that is why they come to Thailand, to a land that doesn't care either. The country certainly draws a different crowd to Singapore and Malaysia.