British tourists rescued after getting lost in Koh Chang forest

Jonathan Fairfield

20 minutes ago, cumgranosalum said:

one wonders if the "experts" on navigation have considered at all the problems of navigating in an equatorial jungle in the wet season...e.g limited visibility, cloud cover, little or no stars or sun and a sun that goes more or less directly overhead.......good luck with that......on the equator trying to work out north and south is a whole different ball game.

Hint.... The sun sets in the west. (Admittedly, an hour standing static to observe this phenomenon, may be required)

if the weather is so bad as to obscure that telltale clue, then being out in it is patently stupid.... And they should have stayed in the pub.... As suggested

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, farcanell said:

Hint.... The sun sets in the west. (Admittedly, an hour standing static to observe this phenomenon, may be required)

if the weather is so bad as to obscure that telltale clue, then being out in it is patently stupid.... And they should have stayed in the pub.... As suggested

Yeah but think about it. 

Just cause they now know where west is they still don't know what direction their hotel is ;-)

The best thing about the sun is that it could be used as a landmark (bearing) to keep them moving in a single direction...but again, most of their time was spent after dark and they did the very smart thing of hunkering down and not trying to walk in the dark in unknown terrain.

The guys here can razz these two kids all they like but the fact is they came out of this without injuries and that makes it a good day. 

cheers

7 hours ago, slipperylobster said:

Rest assured...The Legions of ThaiVisa are always ready, with their nimble fingers at the keyboard...for some fast advice....when the situation is more than mere mortals can handle. We are especially good, after the fact. Sympathy, good will and a cavalier attitude towards forum etiquette is our hallmark.

Peace, brothers.

This is a great post !

15 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Yeah but think about it. 

Just cause they now know where west is they still don't know what direction their hotel is ;-)

The best thing about the sun is that it could be used as a landmark (bearing) to keep them moving in a single direction...but again, most of their time was spent after dark and they did the very smart thing of hunkering down and not trying to walk in the dark in unknown terrain.

The guys here can razz these two kids all they like but the fact is they came out of this without injuries and that makes it a good day. 

cheers

I knew that someone would see the logical counter argument to the whole navigation argument that was developing.... It was quite obvious, really.... But I couldn't resist

and I should have known it would be you to point it out first. ?

On 8/15/2016 at 8:00 PM, ClutchClark said:

Just one example why new SIMs are a good idea.

I bet that pair fed a few million mosquitoes that night.

And kudos to the group who found them on a night search.

just one example of the "good  news" to let them introduce these intrusive sims forcibly

20 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

How can anyone get lost on a small island ?  Now Chatujak Market, that,s another thing completely :)

They had to send a team  of tracker dogs and a rescue helicopter to find me and guide me to the exit at Ikea in Mega Bangna...

22 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Really? Have you not seen any photos of lifeguards risking their own lives to save farang?

Where do you live in Thailand? Lower Suk ?

Because I see caring and common sensereactions all the time.

Nope! Why dont you post some photos. Ive never seen a lifeguard in Thailand; not even at an olympic size SCHOOL swimming pool when packed in the Esaan hot season. They have an elevated chair for a lifeguard but Ive never seen anyone sat in it! There's a nice old guy who takes the tickets but he just sits there using his laptop.....Doubt if he can swim anyway!

Last March I spent an anxious 5 days at Ao Pai, Koh Samet  having to watch our boys every second in the rough sea with a strong rip tide/undertow. There was no sign of any beach hotel staff taking any interest in their guests safety whatsoever! One staff member reassuringly told my Thai missus someone had drowned there the previous week......Another claimed there had been several during the season.

"Because I see caring and common sensereactions all the time" ???..........Like when they dont allow emergency vehicles through?

17 hours ago, farcanell said:

QED my guess is you're suggesting that they should wait to the end of the day and hope they can make out the sunset.....then what stumble around in the dark???? - - you haven't clue about navigation let alone in jungle..

Edited by cumgranosalum

1 hour ago, cumgranosalum said:

QED my guess is you're suggesting that they should wait to the end of the day and hope they can make out the sunset.....then what stumble around in the dark???? - - you haven't clue about navigation let alone in jungle..

Ummm.... They were out all day..... And I'm pretty sure I could work out which way the sun was moving, without having to actually wait for the sun to set.... As I said... An hour remaining static... Geez.... No need to guess at all.... I said that in the first of (only) two paragraphs...

Reading and comprehension problems today? 

as to stumbling around in the dark.... That would be rather stupid too, and just one iota of common sense will tell you that ... But... If you were so useless as to have to wait till sunset to see which way was west... Then marking a tree, for example, would enable you to work out where west was at sunrise (when it becomes safe to move again).... If , that is, you were unable to figure out that at sunrise, the sun will be in the east. 

ooh look.... Maybe I do know just a little about navigation.... Maybe my seafaring father also taught me how to use a sextant.... Maybe growing up in the outback taught me how to use a compass.... Maybe competitive rogaining taught me how to put it all together whilst continually moving

unlike building rockets... This isn't rocket science.

but, as CC correctly pointed out, if you don't know your starting point/ direction, knowing west is beside the point... Beyond becoming a means of establishing a bearing ( and another wee gem from my lack off navigational knowledge.... Rest between 11am and 2 pm, when it's harder to discern the track of the sun)

hope that helps with your guesswork, which,obviously, I would recommend that your try and refrain from

2 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Nope! Why dont you post some photos. Ive never seen a lifeguard in Thailand; not even at an olympic size SCHOOL swimming pool when packed in the Esaan hot season. They have an elevated chair for a lifeguard but Ive never seen anyone sat in it! There's a nice old guy who takes the tickets but he just sits there using his laptop.....Doubt if he can swim anyway!

Last March I spent an anxious 5 days at Ao Pai, Koh Samet  having to watch our boys every second in the rough sea with a strong rip tide/undertow. There was no sign of any beach hotel staff taking any interest in their guests safety whatsoever! One staff member reassuringly told my Thai missus someone had drowned there the previous week......Another claimed there had been several during the season.

"Because I see caring and common sensereactions all the time" ???..........Like when they dont allow emergency vehicles through?

Some thai lifeguards have the benifit of being trained by the best lifeguards in the world.... Australian lifeguards.... But you need picture proof... Can do.... Per Phuket gazzette in May 

image.png