British tourists rescued after getting lost in Koh Chang forest

Jonathan Fairfield

British tourists rescued after getting lost in Koh Chang forest

kc.jpg

Image: Thairath

KOH CHANG:-- Two British tourists have been rescued after spending almost 24 hours lost in dense woodland on Koh Chang.

Theodor Stennett  and Ramanjot Chahal, both 22, had set off on a hike on Sunday morning but had not returned to their guesthouse. At 9.30pm the manager of the guesthouse reported the pair as missing.

Koh Chang tourist police and rescue workers had tried to call the pair on their mobile phones but due to the poor signal, were only able to tell their rescuers a little information about their location.

Rescue workers set out to find the lost brits at 10:30pm on Sunday.

However, it was not until 5am on Monday the couple were found on a cliff of the Leam mountain. 

Thai media reports the couple had suffered minor injuries while climbing over rocks.

They later admitted to hospital on the island at around 10am, before later leaving for Bangkok where they are then expected to return home.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-15

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what is going on here? The national parks on KC are not open to the public.

I think they should be - but in a controlled eco-responsible manner as is the norm world-wide these days. Opening to the public takes a lot of organisation and finance.

but these people apparently were permitted to stumble around wherever they liked.

apart from the demonstrated personal perils, this is ENCROACHMENT - unsupervised entry of national parks or any other area is a big no-no- it damages the environment and disturbs both flora and fauna.......the "no access" policy in the NP on KC is basically a disaster as it gives the nod-and-a-wink to those who want to offer tours or treks but at no time does it make an effort to preserve what could well be an important wildlife reserve.

12 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Just one example why new SIMs are a good idea.

I bet that pair fed a few million mosquitoes that night.

And kudos to the group who found them on a night search.

How would 'new' SIMs improve on the signal of the present (old?) SIMs

3 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

In this specific incident, a weak phone signal was reported. You know how its often possible to send a sms successfully even when your voice calls get dropped due to weak signal? Its because the size of the data being transferred.

In this same way,  the data packet of Lat/Long coordinates is quite small and has a much greater likelihood of being received when it is requested by the phone carrier than a voice call made by a couple of farang trying to describe their location. "We are by a big tree and there is a hill nearby and a stream. Oh and a bird just flew over our heads".

cheers

1 hour ago, AlphMichaels said:

A decent compass and map might also be a good idea.  Glad things ended as they did.  Experience is best teacher.

You & I know a compass and map are only as good as the people using them ;-)

i doubt these two could find their way out of a paperbag without google maps.

;-)

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

How can anyone get lost on a small island ?  Now Chatujak Market, that,s another thing completely :)

Try walking a straight line in hilly terrain in heavy tree canopy.

And it was night time.

I have never seen a bigger bunch of complainers than on TV.

Can you not just be content they did not get injured?

2 hours ago, cumgranosalum said:

So what is going on here? The national parks on KC are not open to the public.

I think they should be - but in a controlled eco-responsible manner as is the norm world-wide these days. Opening to the public takes a lot of organisation and finance.

but these people apparently were permitted to stumble around wherever they liked.

apart from the demonstrated personal perils, this is ENCROACHMENT - unsupervised entry of national parks or any other area is a big no-no- it damages the environment and disturbs both flora and fauna.......the "no access" policy in the NP on KC is basically a disaster as it gives the nod-and-a-wink to those who want to offer tours or treks but at no time does it make an effort to preserve what could well be an important wildlife reserve.

Oh please go tie yourself to a tree

Proper offline maps on your cell + spare battery should be a must for these hiking amateurs. Paper map and compass would get them lost even more.

I also thought Koh Chang was not really big enough to get lost, but I guess for some people it is. Don't they teach orienteering in British schools any more? It used to be one of my favourites in PE class. 

K.C. is the second largest island in the kingdom, all the interior is jungle mountain, head inland from anywhere and you are in the boonies, I didn't think it was off liimits to hikers, I went hiking all over when I lived there.... so many monkeeeeees.

16 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

The new SIMs may not have worked either.

quote from the OP.

Koh Chang tourist police and rescue workers had tried to call the pair on their mobile phones but due to the poor signal, were only able to tell their rescuers a little information about their location.

The new SIMs might work very well in an area of good coverage but forests tend not to have many cell sites so the coverage area is patchy.

That said however the search party did a great job. I hope that the tourists bought a few beers for the search team.

3 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

In this specific incident, a weak phone signal was reported. You know how its often possible to send a sms successfully even when your voice calls get dropped due to weak signal? Its because the size of the data being transferred.

In this same way,  the data packet of Lat/Long coordinates is quite small and has a much greater likelihood of being received when it is requested by the phone carrier than a voice call made by a couple of farang trying to describe their location. "We are by a big tree and there is a hill nearby and a stream. Oh and a bird just flew over our heads".

cheers

And.... For exclusion purposes, it would have been evident that the Brits had not simply gone out and gotten "fall over puke in your boots drunk" somewhere down the beach..... Thus confirming the (undelayed) need for a search party.... Which could be a life saver

Edited by farcanell
Additional comment

1 hour ago, koo said:

Proper offline maps on your cell + spare battery should be a must for these hiking amateurs. Paper map and compass would get them lost even more.

I also thought Koh Chang was not really big enough to get lost, but I guess for some people it is. Don't they teach orienteering in British schools any more? It used to be one of my favourites in PE class. 

I have hiked on Ko Chang and it would be very easy to get lost.If all else fails you follow the water down to the sea.

3 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

I have hiked on Ko Chang and it would be very easy to get lost.If all else fails you follow the water down to the sea.

And that right there, is the most basic of rules

but, apart from them getting lost... They weren't complete fools, having been found on a cliff, which to me suggests that they were trying to get a better cell phone reception (if I'm wrong in that, then I retract the "fool" bit)

'I bet they fed a few Mosquitoes that night'.

Perish the thought.I am a frequent visitor to KC,and i am led to believe that the Mosquitoes on the higher forest lands are often Malarial.That in itself is enough to stop me and Mrs kaen from going trekking in those parts.I like KC,i always have done but restaurants,bars and driving around the island is fun enough for me.

On 8/8/2016 at 4:05 AM, mesterm said:

Another day another statistic.

I learned some skills in the Boy Scouts and Military that keep me from making an idiot of myself by getting lost.

You do not need a map to tell the four Cardinal Compass Heading, the Sun and Stars can guide you. If you do not know that, stay in the Pub !! 

18 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

ClutchClark

they could NOT be reached on their phone because of poor signal. a SIM is useless without signal.

2 minutes ago, sahibji said:

ClutchClark

they could NOT be reached on their phone because of poor signal. a SIM is useless without signal.

Quite correct....almost.

"their mobile phones but due to the poor signal, were only able to tell their rescuers a little information about their location."

The limitation of a GPS enabled SIM is that a cell signal is required and they had a cell signal...please refer to my earlier post on advantages to sms in limited cell signal situations..  ;-)

Edited by ClutchClark

whenever tourists wish to try out  activities  which involve uncertainties it  is best to hire the services of a guide. in case you wish to do it DIY then the next best but absolutely essential  precaution is to keep the hotel or the guest house informed so that follow up action can be initiated before it is too late.

5 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Koh Chang tourist police and rescue workers had tried to call the pair on their mobile phones but due to the poor signal, were only able to tell their rescuers a little information about their location. !!!!

POOR SIGNAL......